• Due to a glitch in the old vBulletin software, some users were "banned" when they tried to change their passwords at the end of February. This does not apply after the site was converted to Xenforo. If you were affected by this, please contact us.

Could tracker chips on decoy bicycles help capture bicycle thief gangs?

Patslatt1

Recently Newstalk Radio reported that 15,000 bicycles were reported stolen in a year and many more thefts likely weren't reported. The scale of thefts at about 300 a week suggests criminal gangs play a major role and likely export the stolen bicycles.The 15,000 number at a resale price of say 100 to 300 euros would gross 1.5 to 4.5 million euros a year, not counting unreported thefts.

Is it possible that tracker chips like those on household pets could be placed on decoy bicycles to help capture thieves? Assuming the criminal gangs can't detect the presence of trackers, those gangs could be tracked to places where bicycles are brought together for shipment abroad.

The ongoing scale of the thefts with few convictions invites disrespect for the law. For victims on low incomes, the thefts can be a hardship.

In 1949, the classic Italian movie Bicycle Thieves showed how extreme economic hardship then forced two men to spend all day searching Rome for a stolen bicycle. Bicycle Thieves (Ladri di biciclette) (1949) Time for a remake of the movie in Dublin?

Last edited:

Lumpy Talbot

Twitter
No
I've no truck or sympathy for the lowest of the low- bicycle thieves. Guillotines on Stephen's Green there'd be for them.

No. Wait. Hanging, drawing and quartering. Maybe for a second offence. I'm blinded by fury at the very thought of these social subversives chipping away at the very bedrock of society and civilisation by making away with a member of the bicycularly velocipedal's machine and separating said machine from it's lawful owner.

kimari

Twitter
dont like it
This in dublin anyway is more down to junkies rather then criminal gangs there s a couple of places around the jervis st area that will buy stolen bike s no questions asked.Junkies view this a an easy way to pay for their fix.There not exactly hard to spot .Some skanger cycling around on an expensive machine they couldnt possibly afford .I see them all the time around the city center where i live.The aldi in jervis st has bars to lock your bike to this is a particular favourite area for them .You see really pricy bikes locked up with a cheap security lock that takes thieves seconds to remove. You can often see bikes totally destroyed by the little bastards if the padlocks prove to be too difficult

lostexpectation

Website
dublinstreams.blogspot.com
Recently Newstalk Radio reported that 15,000 bicycles were reported stolen in a yesr and many more thefts likely weren't reported. The scale of thefts at about 300 a week suggests criminal gangs play a major role and likely export the stolen bicycles.The 15,000 number at a resale price of say 100 to 300 euros would gross 1.5 to 4.5 million euros a year, not counting unreported thefts.

Is it possible that tracker chips like those on household pets could be placed on decoy bicycles to help capture thieves? Assuming the criminal gangs can't detect the presence of trackers, those gangs could be tracked to places where bicycles are brought together for shipment abroad.

The ongoing scale of the thefts with few convictions invites disrespect for the law. For victims on low incomes, the thefts can be a hardship.

In 1949, the classic Italian movie Bicycle Thieves showed how extreme economic hardship then forced two men to spend all day searching Rome for a stolen bicycle. Bicycle Thieves (Ladri di biciclette) (1949) Time for a remake of the movie in Dublin?

Patslatt1

This in dublin anyway is more down to junkies rather then criminal gangs there s a couple of places around the jervis st area that will buy stolen bike s no questions asked.Junkies view this a an easy way to pay for their fix.There not exactly hard to spot .Some skanger cycling around on an expensive machine they couldnt possibly afford .I see them all the time around the city center where i live.The aldi in jervis st has bars to lock your bike to this is a particular favourite area for them .You see really pricy bikes locked up with a cheap security lock that takes thieves seconds to remove. You can often see bikes totally destroyed by the little bastards if the padlocks prove to be too difficult
Where are the gardai at Jervis?

Lumpy Talbot

Twitter
No
They were probably tipped off as they were members of a good Garda family...

Lumpy Talbot

Twitter
No
Bicycle thieves should be redesignated as 'economic terrorists' on the grounds of the negative effect of their activities on GNP.

When are the 18 to be shot? I might fly home for that although I probably couldn't bring Stuka (the bicycle) and I'd kind of like him to be there to see justice served.

kimari

Twitter
dont like it
Where are the gardai at Jervis?
They cant be bothered if i can spot someone on a potentially stolen bicycle that whinging whining all junkies have is a dead giveaway surely a copper can

Patslatt1

A policy of light touch law enforcement by gardai will force cyclists to buy unbreakable locks if those locks exist.

Frank Miller

Community service, Probation Act, Juvenile caution is the response of the authorities. Why even bother?

Lumpy Talbot

Twitter
No
Machine-gunned from the back of a canvas covered truck in the snow would be too good for them.

Lumpy Talbot

Twitter
No
And tracking devices into JCBs. Where the data-point for the JCB and an ATM coincides it is logical to conclude something interesting is occurring in that location.

Lumpy Talbot

Twitter
No
Issue them with an umbrella, and hey presto, you have a low cost car-port.

Lumpy Talbot

Twitter
No
Not seen it, so wouldn't know.... the mind does lean favourably towards a new way of getting value for money from the Gardai at least when they are on-duty.

They should be incorporated into street-furniture. Like the little shrines to the gods of hearth and home that twinkled in their thousands amid the hills of ancient Rome in the evening light we should examine ways to incorporate Gardai into the built environment in more imaginative ways.

Also you could install solar panels on them as they patrol about, thereby making it financially more attractive to have Gardai out on the streets and out of the squad-cars. Optional NRG-Production package to include little windmills on the shoulder pads between October and June each year in the west of Ireland.

New Threads

Popular Threads

Most Replies