Council pay €142,000 for field in Dartmouth Ranelagh - Austerity is only for those not in Dublin 6

mido

Sinn Féin to hold protest over Government funding cut for Dublin City Council

Locals jointly buy Dartmouth Square park - The Irish Times - Wed, Dec 05, 2012

Councils to cut services as funding sliced again - National News - Independent.ie

Dublin city council can find €100, 000 + to buy a field fro a bunch of residents in ranelagh while closing services to others across the city. I'm sure it has nothing to do with them being the well heeled denizens of rennnelllaah now would it? looking forward to the new council leisureplex any day now in sean mcdermott st.......

White Horse

How dare a council buy a public park so that children may play and elderly people may take a stroll?

The next thing will be the government giving money to people when they have no jobs or providing free hospital care.

Where will this extravagence end?

Last edited:

Dunlin3

Dublin subsisdises most of the rest of the country, so do one!

Howya

Fearcluain

Do not know détails ré.D.sq.but have heard about O'Gara and his involvement in dubious claims to properties.Did he profit from this enterprise?

Orbit v2

It was always a public park until "carpetbagger" Noel O'Gara saw an opportunity for a quick buck, as the council didn't own the freehold. So, they had no choice basically but to fight it and pay something to regularise the situation. I say fair play to them.

And incidentally, some of the best investments the state ever made were public parks bought (in the Dublin area at least) when we didn't have two shillings to rub together back in the 70's and 80's. Charlie Haughey for all his faults, deserves some of the credit for that.

Aristodemus

Do not know détails ré.D.sq.but have heard about O'Gara and his involvement in dubious claims to properties.Did he profit from this enterprise?
Bought for 10k sold for 142k. Looks like it

Analyzer

Smell of corruption about this one.

Would a Dublin local authority be corrupt ?

borntorum

It was always a public park until "carpetbagger" Noel O'Gara saw an opportunity for a quick buck, as the council didn't own the freehold. So, they had no choice basically but to fight it and pay something to regularise the situation. I say fair play to them.

And incidentally, some of the best investments the state ever made were public parks bought (in the Dublin area at least) when we didn't have two shillings to rub together back in the 70's and 80's. Charlie Haughey for all his faults, deserves some of the credit for that.
Some of the greatest glories of Dublin are its public parks e.g. St Stephens Green, Merrion Square, Bushy Park, Harold Cross Park etc

Last edited:

mido

what will be great is when the council propose to open a skate park, playground and football pitch in the park.....I suspect resistance.

cllr

Congratulations to DCC on successfully getting back this park into Public Ownership - I have no intention of labeling anywhere but within 5 minutes of this Park there is a susbtantial typical working class population. there is a also a large body of flatland in the area and I am grateful even if the sniggers are not to those local residents who contributed over E30,000 towards the purchase of this by DCC for the Public. Good day all round.

Grumpy Jack

O'Gara was at one stage demanding DCC pay him €100 MILLION for Dartmouth Square.

DCC and the residents always disputed O'Gara's claim to ownership of the land and pursued it through the courts. The council also began Compulsory Purchase Order proceedings for the site but then pulled back because it feared an arbitrator would force them to pay O'Gara far more than the €10,000 he paid for the freehold and it was not prepared to see him profit from to the tune of several hundred thousand euro, or even into the millions, at Dubliners' expense.

Yesterday, there were no bidders at the auction because it was known in advance DCC and the residents were in negotiations to buy the square.

Fair play to DCC and the residents for holding out against O'Gara's outrageous demands and actions - though the fact they had to pay anything, never mind €142k, for a public park is outrageous.

And posters should know, this is not the only site in Dublin O'Gara is in dispute with DCC over - he also claims he owns a DCC/HSE car park in Terenure 'bought' in the same manner as Dartmouth.

ivnryn

Fair play to DCC and the residents for holding out against O'Gara's outrageous demands and actions - though the fact they had to pay anything, never mind €142k, for a public park is outrageous.
What exactly happened here? Sounds like some legacy mess up by the DCC legal team?

mido

Congratulations to DCC on successfully getting back this park into Public Ownership - I have no intention of labeling anywhere but within 5 minutes of this Park there is a susbtantial typical working class population. there is a also a large body of flatland in the area and I am grateful even if the sniggers are not to those local residents who contributed over E30,000 towards the purchase of this by DCC for the Public. Good day all round.
I would strongly suspect that if the " substantial typical working class population" arrive en mass to use the facility those who contributed will want restrictions on the parks use. tell me, were the football pitches or playgrounds in this park?

cllr

I would strongly suspect that if the " substantial typical working class population" arrive en mass to use the facility those who contributed will want restrictions on the parks use. tell me, were the football pitches or playgrounds in this park?
What a typically snobbish and arrogant post. Working Class people ( as I am ) have many different interests. There is no Football Pitch as there is not in Merrion Square or Stepehens Green. However I have often seen kids play football there - I did myself when I was younger. In the City Council adopted last week we provided for a number of new playgrounds and upgrades to parks across the City.

zakalwe1

O'Gara was at one stage demanding DCC pay him €100 MILLION for Dartmouth Square.

DCC and the residents always disputed O'Gara's claim to ownership of the land and pursued it through the courts. The council also began Compulsory Purchase Order proceedings for the site but then pulled back because it feared an arbitrator would force them to pay O'Gara far more than the €10,000 he paid for the freehold and it was not prepared to see him profit from to the tune of several hundred thousand euro, or even into the millions, at Dubliners' expense.

Yesterday, there were no bidders at the auction because it was known in advance DCC and the residents were in negotiations to buy the square.

And posters should know, this is not the only site in Dublin O'Gara is in dispute with DCC over - he also claims he owns a DCC/HSE car park in Terenure 'bought' in the same manner as Dartmouth.
ha ha...i remember those outragous demands at the time!!!
did i read somewhere that this property was seized by the court due to unpaid bills? if so then who was the ultimate beneficiary of the 142k?

hiding behind a poster

Ah now Jack, that's common sense. We'll be having none of that round here.

Burnout

Twitter
I have a life.
Only in Ireland could a council manage to pay €142,000 for something, that when put for auction attracted zero bidders.

What makes it worse is that the square sold for 10k in 2005 - the height of the boom!!!
The real worst factor in this fiasco is that the incompetent civil servants let the title deed expire as they forgot to check the expiry date. Then some idiot bought it on the free market and now the park is back in use for the area. It is a lovely park (was when i lived there in the square) and it is part of the overall ambiance of the area. It's a little piece of tranquility in the city.

next some of you ass8s will be saying shut down St. Stephens Green and or The Phoenix Park to build affordable housing on it. Get the the balance right. There is green space needed in the city. Just because you do not live there etc.

New Threads

Popular Threads

Most Replies