Council pay €142,000 for field in Dartmouth Ranelagh - Austerity is only for those not in Dublin 6

Grumpy Jack

What exactly happened here? Sounds like some legacy mess up by the DCC legal team?
Probably back in 2005 when O'Gara bought the freehold out from under the noses in DCC - the council should have secured the freehold from Darley when it had the chance. But thankfully, DCC and the residents have fought O'Gara and his ridiculous antics tooth and nail ever since and have now won the day, even though they have had to pay €142k to do so.

DCC secured a High Court order to wind up O'Gara's company which 'owned' the park over an unpaid legal bill and the liquidator put the park up for sale. O'Gara disputed the value put on it at auction (€140k), claimed it was worth £300k and went to court again over this. He lost and yesterday DCC and residents agreed to pay 'market value' for the site.

Here's some background to the saga.

Square at centre of bitter dispute to go under the hammer - National News - Independent.ie

Had DCC gone ahead with the CPO in 2006, at the height of the boom, it could have been forced to pay O'Gara a vastly inflated price - some feared it could have been several million, other reckoned €500k-plus.

It should never have come to this because but unfortunately it did. Thankfully, this sorry saga is now over and has been resolved in favour of the residents of Dartmouth, Ranelagh and Dublin.

I'm sure cllr could give more details on the case as he has much closer involvement than anyone else on P.ie.

Last edited:

stoichkov

is this the same noel o'gara who wrote a book claiming to expose who the "real" yorkshire ripper was?

Grumpy Jack

ha ha...i remember those outragous demands at the time!!!
did i read somewhere that this property was seized by the court due to unpaid bills? if so then who was the ultimate beneficiary of the 142k?
Well, DCC was owed €43k in legal bills from O'Gara's company after his failed challenges. That's why DCC had his company wound up.

Details here from his failed challenge last week where he claimed he had been 'conned' out of the Square.

Businessman Noel O'Gara fails to have Dartmouth Square agreement set aside - Courts, National News - Independent.ie

Verhofstadt

Website
I would strongly suspect that if the " substantial typical working class population" arrive en mass to use the facility those who contributed will want restrictions on the parks use. tell me, were the football pitches or playgrounds in this park?
Have you ever been to streets around Dartmouth Square?

cllr

Quote Originally Posted by borntorum View Post
Some of the greatest glories of Dublin are its private parks e.g. St Stephens Green, Merrion Square, Bushy Park, Harold Cross Park etc

Eh - They are Public Parks

diaspora-mick

Quote Originally Posted by borntorum View Post
Some of the greatest glories of Dublin are its private parks e.g. St Stephens Green, Merrion Square, Bushy Park, Harold Cross Park etc

Eh - They are Public Parks
The only private park in Dublin I can think of off the top of my head is Fitzwilliam Sq. which unless I'm mistaken belongs to the Pembroke Estate: The Pembroke Estate of Dublin city

statsman

Sinn Féin to hold protest over Government funding cut for Dublin City Council

Locals jointly buy Dartmouth Square park - The Irish Times - Wed, Dec 05, 2012

Councils to cut services as funding sliced again - National News - Independent.ie

Dublin city council can find €100, 000 + to buy a field fro a bunch of residents in ranelagh while closing services to others across the city. I'm sure it has nothing to do with them being the well heeled denizens of rennnelllaah now would it? looking forward to the new council leisureplex any day now in sean mcdermott st.......
Someone needs to tell SF that portraying themselves as anti public parks may not help their transfer friendliness.

shutuplaura

Someone needs to tell SF that portraying themselves as anti public parks may not help their transfer friendliness.
Are SF anti-public park?

statsman

Are SF anti-public park?
It would be perfectly possible to construct an argument from this thread to say they were, albeit unfairly. It's probably truer to say that they don't look at bandwagons carefully enough before jumping aboard.

diaspora-mick

It would be perfectly possible to construct an argument from this thread to say they were, albeit unfairly. It's probably truer to say that they don't look at bandwagons carefully enough before jumping aboard.
One could equally well apply the concluding bon mot to those who would try to construct that argument, couldn't one ? After all SF don't have a monopoly on the "bandwagon" market.

In the end it's all about "optics" though isn't it ?
"Cutbacks" and "austerity" are perceived as being targeted at the less affluent, whereas DCC doesn't seem to have any problem dipping into its pocket to assist the residents of Darthmouth Sq.
However, if it really is to be maintained as a public park, then I think the objections become somewhat otiose.

"Otiose" - now there's a nice word that you don't hear too often these days.

cllr

Fact 1 -It is being protected as a Public Park.
Fact 2 - Dublin City Councillors voted to spend far more than that in upgrading Public parks across the City in the Budget last week.
Fact 3 SF voted against that Budget - both the popular parts and the hard and difficult choices parts.

statsman

One could equally well apply the concluding bon mot to those who would try to construct that argument, couldn't one ? After all SF don't have a monopoly on the "bandwagon" market.

In the end it's all about "optics" though isn't it ?
"Cutbacks" and "austerity" are perceived as being targeted at the less affluent, whereas DCC doesn't seem to have any problem dipping into its pocket to assist the residents of Darthmouth Sq.
However, if it really is to be maintained as a public park, then I think the objections become somewhat otiose.

"Otiose" - now there's a nice word that you don't hear too often these days.
It's a grand word; and very well used.

Hestero, Licini, die otiose
multum lusimus in meis tabellis
Yes, SF are far from being the only bandwagon jumpers, but in this instance the words 'public park' make the action especially unfortunate.

cogar

Great news and I live in the west! But I should never happen again. Are there any other 'public' parks being held by private individuals.

cllr

Great news and I live in the west! But I should never happen again. Are there any other 'public' parks being held by private individuals.
Yes Shamefully Fitzwilliam Square but we are pushing that one

Dublin 4

Yesterday, there were no bidders at the auction because it was known in advance DCC and the residents were in negotiations to buy the square.
Other interested parties precluding alternative bidders - highly unusual Jack, then again so is today's level of global debt & consistent price falls in Ranelagh... ;)

5 Daft.ie house price drops & rises, in Co. Dublin using : "Ranelagh", between May 20, 2011 and Dec 5, 2012.
On page: 1
Link  Type  Address  On Market Since  Description  Beds  Total Prices  Previous Price  Current Price  % From Previous  % From First  Last Change Detected 
1 659725 End of Terrace House 18 Oakley Square, Ranelagh, Dublin 6 Jun 29, 2012 3 Bedrooms, 1 Bathroom 3 2 €495,000 €435,000 -12.12% -12.12% Nov 3, 2012
2 668322 Semi-Detached House 16 Charleston Court, Ranelagh, Dublin 6 Aug 30, 2012 2 Bedrooms, 1 Bathroom 2 2 €285,000 €275,000 -3.51% -3.51% Oct 3, 2012
3 656285 Terraced House 43 & 44 Chelmsford Road, Ranelagh, Dublin 6 Jun 7, 2012 6 Bedrooms, 2 Bathrooms 6 2 €695,000 €635,000 -8.63% -8.63% Sep 26, 2012
4 638294 Terraced House 38 Mountpleasant Avenue Lower, Ranelagh, Dublin 6, South Dublin City Feb 15, 2012 8 Bedrooms, 3 Bathrooms 8 2 €550,000 €500,000 -9.09% -9.09% Jul 18, 2012
5 570821 Terraced House 24 Mountpleasant Square, Ranelagh, Dublin 6, South Dublin City Dec 15, 2010 3 Bedrooms, 2 Bathrooms 3 2 €1,100,000 €900,000 -18.18% -18.18% Apr 28, 2012

DaftDrop: The Irish house, apartment & site price history tracker.

mr. jings

Parktitionist claptrap, sir! Withdraw!

New Threads

Popular Threads

Most Replies