• Due to a glitch in the old vBulletin software, some users were "banned" when they tried to change their passwords at the end of February. This does not apply after the site was converted to Xenforo. If you were affected by this, please contact us.

Council pay €142,000 for field in Dartmouth Ranelagh - Austerity is only for those not in Dublin 6

Orbit v2

Irrespective of what you think, he legally acquired the land and was entitled to apply for variation of its use. it was only "public" by custom, not in law. I personally think that rennnellah would have benefitted from a park and ride facility for the nearby LUAS or those living in the arrea where on street parking is limited
he legally acquired the freehold all right and he was entitled to apply for change of use, for which he had little to no chance of succeeding given the history of the park. It's not quite true to say that "custom" is something entirely separate from the law either. And whether "rennnellah" needs a park and ride or whatever, is something anyone is entitled to offer their opinion on, when the city development plan is being put together.

diaspora-mick

Some people expect others to speculate on a recovery.

I'm not the one who "anticipated" the Auction result.

Property is going down but if people want to buy now in the hope that it rises later then thats up to them.

Are you denying that Property is going down?
Sure if it goes down much further, they'll be givin' them away ...

Dublin 4

I'm not the one embarrassed...

Manstein

Is the park open to all or just residents of the square?

If its open to all then I have no issue with the council buying it.

mido

The whole dispute centres on whether O'Gara actually acquired the land or not when he paid Darley €10k. The council and residents dispute this.

As for your ludicrous other 'idea', park and ride facilities are for outer suburbs to encourage people living further out again to leave their cars outside the city and use public transport into the city - instead of clogging city streets with traffic.

What is the point of spending €700m on a Luas line to encourage people on public transport to reduce car traffic in the city and inner suburbs and then stick a P&R facility two stops from the city centre?

That's why P&R on the Green line are in Stillorgan, Sandyford and out to Cherrywood - and on the Red line at the Red Cow and in Tallaght and Citywest.

Seriously, if you do not know what you are talking about, don't bother commenting instead of posting every ignorant brainfart.

so if they dispute it, why did they buy it from the receiver, did the receiver not have the right to sell it. why did the courts not find in their favour despite repeated actions.you have not got a clue. as for the park and ride, jaysus but you take things, and yourself far to seriously. and the city streets are far less clogged thanks to the recession......may i beg to suggest your own cranium is particularly flatulent.

ScreeOrTalus

is this the same noel o'gara who wrote a book claiming to expose who the "real" yorkshire ripper was?
Yes. He's what's known as a "chancer".

An entertaining book though.

Grumpy Jack

so if they dispute it, why did they buy it from the receiver, did the receiver not have the right to sell it. why did the courts not find in their favour despite repeated actions.you have not got a clue. as for the park and ride, jaysus but you take things, and yourself far to seriously. and the city streets are far less clogged thanks to the recession......may i beg to suggest your own cranium is particularly flatulent.
They bought it from the liquidator because it was for sale. The courts did find in DCC's favour - that's why O'Gara owed DCC €43k in legal bills and why DCC secured a High Court order to wind-up the company involved. And this led to yesterday's auction and sale.

And the city streets are clogging up again - you would notice this if you tried to drive or get a bus into Dublin city centre any weekday morning. And it will only get worse.

shutuplaura

It would be perfectly possible to construct an argument from this thread to say they were, albeit unfairly. It's probably truer to say that they don't look at bandwagons carefully enough before jumping aboard.
I'm sorry, you've lost me. SF were against the purchase?

statsman

I'm sorry, you've lost me. SF were against the purchase?
Sorry, I see I've been very unclear. I meant based on the odd farrago of links provided by the OP.

Grumpy Jack

Some people expect others to speculate on a recovery.

I'm not the one who "anticipated" the Auction result.

Property is going down but if people want to buy now in the hope that it rises later then thats up to them.

Are you denying that Property is going down?
No, a lot of property is going down in price. And property like houses, apartments and commerical premises - and even some land- would be worth a punt if you have the shekels to spare.

But a public park at the centre of a protracted and bitter legal dispute - and which cannot be developed or commercially operated in any way - is not something anyone with half a brain and a wad of cash would buy. Especially when the previous 'owner' got burned so spectacularly. And that's exactly what happened yesterday.

mido

They bought it from the liquidator because it was for sale. The courts did find in DCC's favour - that's why O'Gara owed DCC €43k in legal bills and why DCC secured a High Court order to wind-up the company involved. And this led to yesterday's auction and sale.

in relation to planning and use, not ownership

Dublin 4

No, a lot of property is going down in price. And property like houses, apartments and commerical premises - and even some land- would be worth a punt if you have the shekels to spare.

But a public park at the centre of a protracted and bitter legal dispute - and which cannot be developed or commercially operated in any way - is not something anyone with half a brain and a wad of cash would buy. Especially when the previous 'owner' got burned so spectacularly. And that's exactly what happened yesterday.
A lot of Property Investors in Ireland didn't have half a brain. :lol:

If property was rocketing upwards again as in the false boom I wonder would no bids still have been made at the Auction...

mido

Sorry, I see I've been very unclear. I meant based on the odd farrago of links provided by the OP.
links explain situation with city budget. begs the question if they are cutting everywhere else why is such a sum available to purchase this private land.

Grumpy Jack

in relation to planning and use, not ownership
They never challenged ownership in the courts because there was a fair chance they could lose that - and have been left with horrendous legal bills and no park. So they pursued other legal avenues open to them. And got it in the end and fair play to them.

Grumpy Jack

A lot of Property Investors in Ireland didn't have half a brain. :lol:

If property was rocketing upwards again as in the false boom I wonder would no bids still have been made at the Auction...
But not a park with no commerical or development value at the centre of a legal dispute - can you not understand that?

If you had €140k to spare, would you bid to buy the above park or a residential or commerical property which can make you some money while you wait years for the economy and property market to recover?

I know where my money would go if I had it.

Dublin 4

Can you not understand that some people take risks when Property is rocketing in price regardless?

Grumpy Jack

Can you not understand that some people take risks when Property is rocketing in price regardless?
WTF are you talking about?

Dartmouth Square is worthless to anyone but DCC and the residents of the square - why would anyone else buy it?

There is no possibility of anyone else making money out of - now or in the future. Noel O'Gara has learned that the hard way.

New Threads

Popular Threads

Most Replies