Council pay €142,000 for field in Dartmouth Ranelagh - Austerity is only for those not in Dublin 6

Dublin 4

Noel O'Gara proves people take risks during booms/false booms.

You know exactly what I'm talking about.

One of the reasons no-one else bid was because property is falling as well as the other factors you outlined.

Stop trolling...

Grumpy Jack

Noel O'Gara proves people take risks during booms/false booms.

You know exactly what I'm talking about.

One of the reasons no-one else bid was because property is falling as well as the other factors.

Stop trolling...
No one else was bidding because it has no commericial value and no prospect of commericial value in the future. It is that simple.

Please tell us how someone could make money from Dartmouth Square now or in the future?

borntorum

Quote Originally Posted by borntorum View Post
Some of the greatest glories of Dublin are its private parks e.g. St Stephens Green, Merrion Square, Bushy Park, Harold Cross Park etc

Eh - They are Public Parks
Excuse my brain fart, I of course meant public. Now amended.

We need more public spaces in our capital city, not less. Well done to DCC on this one.

ivnryn

The 'rage' comes from the fact that someone claimed they 'bought' and now 'owned' a public park and then attempted to demand the council pay him €100million for it - never mind attempt to operate a private car park or tile sales outlet in a residential area.
There was obviously some legal problem with the title.

No it is not. It was a public park and O'Gara attempted drive a coach and horses through the local authority's zoning of the area.
Zoning land as a park doesn't make it belong to the council. There was some mention of a lease. Sounds like the council wanted to take ownership without paying, by making the land worthless.

What do you think the reaction would be if someone claimed they and bought St Stephen's Green or Phoenix Park and closed it to the public? Or the Mardyke in Cork? Or your local park?
Fair enough, it is strange that the courts would uphold such claims. The 10k price suggests the previous owner felt the same.

shutuplaura

Sorry, I see I've been very unclear. I meant based on the odd farrago of links provided by the OP.
Ah right. I'm easily confused too it must be said.

Dublin 4

No one else was bidding because it has no commericial value and no prospect of commericial value in the future. It is that simple.

Please tell us how someone could make money from Dartmouth Square now or in the future?
Stop trolling.

As stated- people make risky bids for properties during booms/false booms regardless of what you've stated.

One of the reasons for ZERO BIDS is because of the collapse in prices...

borntorum

It's a really well maintained park. Whoever is in charge of it should be proud of their work.
There always appear to be men in it replacing flowers and planting new ones, mowing the lawn etc. It's a wonderful small park and a great credit to the Council that it is always so well maintained

mido

They never challenged ownership in the courts because there was a fair chance they could lose that - and have been left with horrendous legal bills and no park. So they pursued other legal avenues open to them. And got it in the end and fair play to them.
"Fair chance they would lose on ownership", care to correct your previous post then?
I suspect they already have horrendous legal bills to go on top of the money spent to buy Mr O'Gara's property

mido

a few friendly councillors, a word in an ear. a benefit to the wider community, some rezoning, bingo! would not the the first time....

Grumpy Jack

There was obviously some legal problem with the title.
Freehold - a hangover from British rule that has never been dealt with.

Zoning land as a park doesn't make it belong to the council. There was some mention of a lease. Sounds like the council wanted to take ownership without paying, by making the land worthless.
The council fvcked up in not buying the freehold back in 2005 - the tardiness can only be explained by no one in Wood Quay spotting the potential of O'Gara's stroke. Lesson learned.

Fair enough, it is strange that the courts would uphold such claims. The 10k price suggests the previous owner felt the same.
The courts upheld the council's zoning and stooped O'Gara's various stunts - DCC never challenged the legal ownership probably because it was so high risk - and potentially expensive - given property rights in constitution.

But they got it through other legal means and I'm happy with that.

Thac0man

Twitter
twit taa woo
Sinn Féin to hold protest over Government funding cut for Dublin City Council

Locals jointly buy Dartmouth Square park - The Irish Times - Wed, Dec 05, 2012

Councils to cut services as funding sliced again - National News - Independent.ie

Dublin city council can find €100, 000 + to buy a field fro a bunch of residents in ranelagh while closing services to others across the city. I'm sure it has nothing to do with them being the well heeled denizens of rennnelllaah now would it? looking forward to the new council leisureplex any day now in sean mcdermott st.......
So this is an 'anti-Dublin thread' about the cost of paying off a country 'Entrepeneur' who has been trying to squeeze every black cent he can out of Dublin County Council for years. As an exercise is in hate mongering stupidity, its as necky as what Noel O'Gara tried on, and just as pathetic.

But it does take me back to the days of our last major recession, when the Parish pump was cranked for all it was worth by blow hards, decrying 'Jackeens', while packing single mothers and drugs addicts off to the big smoke to join them.

diaspora-mick

So this is an 'anti-Dublin thread' about the cost of paying off a country 'Entrepeneur' who has been trying to squeeze every black cent he can out of Dublin County Council for years. As an exercise is in hate mongering stupidity, its as necky as what Noel O'Gara tried on, and just as pathetic.

But it does take me back to the days of our last major recession, when the Parish pump was cranked for all it was worth by blow hards, decrying 'Jackeens', while packing single mothers and drugs addicts off to the big smoke to join them.
Ah now don't be so hard on the country folk.
I think he was a "townie" from Athlone to be honest with you.

mido

I think you will find that traffic was in the other direction to kildare , louth, wicklow, laois in the past few years

Grumpy Jack

Stop trolling.

As stated- people make risky bids for properties during booms/false booms regardless of what you've stated.

One of the reasons for ZERO BIDS is because of the collapse in prices...
It's because there is no chance of making money out of it. The park has no commercial value - now or in the future.

Dublin 4

It's because there is no chance of making money out of it. The park has no commercial value - now or in the future.
So you keep trolling...

As stated again - people still take risks on property in false booms/booms regardless of the point you constantly make - capiche...

Grumpy Jack

So you keep trolling...

As stated again - people still take risks on property in false booms/booms regardless of the point you constantly make - capiche...
You are babbling utter nonsense here.

O'Gara took risk and lost. People see that. Ergo, no one else was willing to bid on something that is worthless and which cannot be exploited commercially in any way - hence no interest yesterday.

I'm done with you - I can see why you make such a fool of yourself on the falling bond yields thread.

Dublin 4

Get a life shill...

Zero bids for more reasons than you stipulate...

Samell

Probably back in 2005 when O'Gara bought the freehold out from under the noses in DCC - the council should have secured the freehold from Darley when it had the chance. But thankfully, DCC and the residents have fought O'Gara and his ridiculous antics tooth and nail ever since and have now won the day, even though they have had to pay €142k to do so.

DCC secured a High Court order to wind up O'Gara's company which 'owned' the park over an unpaid legal bill and the liquidator put the park up for sale. O'Gara disputed the value put on it at auction (€140k), claimed it was worth £300k and went to court again over this. He lost and yesterday DCC and residents agreed to pay 'market value' for the site.

Here's some background to the saga.

Square at centre of bitter dispute to go under the hammer - National News - Independent.ie

Had DCC gone ahead with the CPO in 2006, at the height of the boom, it could have been forced to pay O'Gara a vastly inflated price - some feared it could have been several million, other reckoned €500k-plus.

It should never have come to this because but unfortunately it did. Thankfully, this sorry saga is now over and has been resolved in favour of the residents of Dartmouth, Ranelagh and Dublin.

I'm sure cllr could give more details on the case as he has much closer involvement than anyone else on P.ie.
Surely market value is whatever people will pay for a product? We know from all the appeals that there is no chance of planning permission for the site so the land is useless except for a bit of grass and a few trees to make the 'hood look pretty. The country got into the mess it's in by paying 'market value or the vendors valuation' for a bit of ground that they hoped they could build on later.

Even if some leech, sorry estate agent valuer, put a value of €140k on it if I only wanted to pay fifty cents for it then that is the market value in my mind.

Inda Kenny

ha ha...i remember those outragous demands at the time!!!
did i read somewhere that this property was seized by the court due to unpaid bills? if so then who was the ultimate beneficiary of the 142k?
The receiver

New Threads

Popular Threads

Most Replies