Council plans to introduce Polish road signs

dave777

SOME of Ireland’s roads could soon feature signs in Polish and other languages in a bid to reduce road deaths.

Laois County Council has already contacted the Polish Embassy in Dublin regarding a plan to introduce road signs in the language for the benefit of drivers from the eastern European country.

The news came as the number of road traffic fatalities so far this year climbed to 71 including four killed in separate accidents on another black weekend.

The latest victim was a 20-year-old Dubliner, killed early yesterday in a single vehicle accident.

A member of Laois County Council's roads' division said the council was awaiting approval for the scheme.

However, the local authority has not decided which roads will feature the new signage or the proposed introduction date.

More than 120,000 Polish citizens have travelled to Ireland to live and work since accession to the European Union in 2004.
http://www.irishexaminer.com/pport/web/ ... 4nqWo2.asp

eurocrat

Good idea. Anything that makes road travel safer is worthwhile. We already have signs in Germany and French advising tourists to drive on the left side of the roads.

See on reason why Polish shouldn't be added to that list.

cicero

No I think you should at least understand the language of the country you come to.
I do believe its now needed but people should have to pass an english exam to get into the country.

eurocrat

cicero said:
No I think you should at least understand the language of the country you come to.
I do believe its now needed but people should have to pass an english exam to get into the country.
Or an Irish exam, surely.

I know Irish people living in Austria without any German. Do you think this is also wrong?

Wednesday

Website
ceadaoin.blogspot.com
I have no objections to the plan in principle but I would be extremely sceptical that it is necessary or would do any good. Have any accidents been traced to a foreigner's not understanding the language on road signs?

I can't drive at all, but I've been a passenger in countries where the driver didn't speak the language and I don't recall us ever having difficulties. And there are many other countries with far more experience of foreigners than we have, and they don't seem to need multilingual road signs either.

Zhirkov

It's not the poles you need to worry about, it's the Latvians.
Ever noticed how it's only on roads with nottalotta signs that there's accidents?
Signs save lives, every day.

Carrier

Website
www.newrepublicanforum.ie
eurocrat said:
cicero said:
Or an Irish exam, surely.

I know Irish people living in Austria without any German. Do you think this is also wrong?
English is a more common language than Polish.

FutureTaoiseach

Website
greatdearleader.blogspot.com
I don't really have an objection but I do object to the scarcity of Baltic road-signs, considering the propensity of Latvians killed in road-accidents.

commentator

The vast majority of the Slavs coming here are young with no real plan to be rooted here driving often uninsured and untaxed cars frequently unlicensednad signorant of or careless of local driving mores. They are from nations with colossal road death rates certainly in latvia's case. In other words they are young transient labour from second world economies. Obviously there will be relatively high level of caranage involving them.

if latvian road signs do not work in Latvia they won't here either.

nuj

FutureTaoiseach said:
I don't really have an objection but I do object to the scarcity of Baltic road-signs, considering the propensity of Latvians killed in road-accidents.
Does the above post win the prize for most meaningless of 2006 to date?

If it doesn't, can somebody point me towards a more glaring example?

(And Voltaire would have used the correct spelling of "privilege").

FutureTaoiseach

Website
greatdearleader.blogspot.com
commentator said:
The vast majority of the Slavs coming here are young with no real plan to be rooted here driving often uninsured and untaxed cars frequently unlicensednad signorant of or careless of local driving mores. They are from nations with colossal road death rates certainly in latvia's case. In other words they are young transient labour from second world economies. Obviously there will be relatively high level of caranage involving them.

if latvian road signs do not work in Latvia they won't here either.
Latvians are not Slavs. They are Balts. All of the new EU states are slavic except Lithuania, Latvia, Estonia, Malta, Cyprus and Hungary.

Dubliner

Catalpa said:
A driving test for each foreign national who wishes to drive on our roads should be compulsary!
A driving test for each Irish person who wishes to drive on our roads should be compulsory.....

PinkoLeftie

cicero said:
Even on holiday?

PinkoLeftie

Catalpa said:
A driving test for each foreign national who wishes to drive on our roads should be compulsary!
Ummm.. it already is!

You need to have a recognised driving licence to drive in Ireland. Which means you have to have done a driving test (not necessarily in Ireland, of course, but AFAIK our test is not difficult by international standards.)

krayZpaving

Website
www.keith.gs
PinkoLeftie said:
Catalpa said:
Ummm.. it already is!

You need to have a recognised driving licence to drive in Ireland. Which means you have to have done a driving test (not necessarily in Ireland, of course, but AFAIK our test is not difficult by international standards.)

Ah, so young and innocent.
About 30% of drivers on Irish roads are on provisional licences, and therefore have either never done a test or have failed it. Add to that number those who received licences during the "amnesty" in the early 80s, and there's a significant number of drivers on the road with no test.

PinkoLeftie

I'm well aware of that situation.
I was referring to drivers from other EU countries.

michael1965

dave777 said:
SOME of Ireland’s roads could soon feature signs in Polish and other languages in a bid to reduce road deaths.

Laois County Council has already contacted the Polish Embassy in Dublin regarding a plan to introduce road signs in the language for the benefit of drivers from the eastern European country.

The news came as the number of road traffic fatalities so far this year climbed to 71 including four killed in separate accidents on another black weekend.

The latest victim was a 20-year-old Dubliner, killed early yesterday in a single vehicle accident.

A member of Laois County Council's roads' division said the council was awaiting approval for the scheme.

However, the local authority has not decided which roads will feature the new signage or the proposed introduction date.

More than 120,000 Polish citizens have travelled to Ireland to live and work since accession to the European Union in 2004.
http://www.irishexaminer.com/pport/web/ ... 4nqWo2.asp
I think it's a stoopid idea. There is far too much half-baked, half-assed road signage cluttering our roads. What about all the other languages that people speak? The whole road-signage system needs a complete overhaul, and a systematic scientific approach, rather than this ad-hoc, tokenist, slap something up here and there kind of approach.

New Threads

Popular Threads

Most Replies