• Due to a glitch in the old vBulletin software, some users were "banned" when they tried to change their passwords at the end of February. This does not apply after the site was converted to Xenforo. If you were affected by this, please us viua the Contact us link in the footer.

Council spends €0.5 million on house for traveller family

White Horse

It appears that the pot of gold is not completely empty, seeing that the council in Tipperary has spent almost €500,000 on a "luxury home" for a local traveller family. Ballina in Tipperary isn't Dublin 4 and €0.5 million buys a lot.

Based on reports local residents are irrate and are blockading the home to prevent the traveller family from moving in.

Are councils in your area spending €0.5m per council house?

http://www.independent.ie/national-news ... 72138.html

Supermanpolitician

I saw it in this morning's Independent. Pavee Point will no doubt be out in force telling all of these people that they are racists.

zakalwe

if it was in outer mongolia then it was money well spent!!!!

(that was a joke by the way!) :lol:

quite a lot of money to be spent on a house in Tipp, is there a bit of land with it?

new face

In Donegal recently the council bought a house for a traveller family for €180,000. they refused to move in.
A local councillor said he knew a family with a disabled child who would hapily move in.
The council officials said that €180,00 was more than they could allocate for a family with disability needs.
What a disgrace

Dillinger

That article got a good laugh in the office today. Especially the part which stated "luxurious home in one of the country's most sought-after locations", and also the quote "It has been purchased for almost €500,000". You couldnt make it up if you tried. :D

QuizMaster

Website
www.quizmatic.com
new face said:
In Donegal recently the council bought a house for a traveller family for €180,000. they refused to move in.
A local councillor said he knew a family with a disabled child who would hapily move in.
The council officials said that €180,00 was more than they could allocate for a family with disability needs.
What a disgrace
Source?

myk

White Horse said:
Based on reports local residents are irrate and are blockading the home to prevent the traveller family from moving in.
what atrocious behaviour.

what sort of lunatics would block a family from moving into their home. if people have an issue with this, they should take it up with the council rather than directly attacking the family involved.

tonys

I’d imagine that the real issue here is not the amount spent on the house, but the location. If the Council had spent the same money on two smaller houses in a local council estate there wouldn’t be a word about it. The issue here is not the money, it’s the neighbours and who probably to a man or women believe the travellers in question should be housed.... just not in their back yard.
Exposing hypocrisy…….. priceless, for everything else there’s a council estate. Sure wouldn’t the traveller family be more comfortable there anyway.

Twin Towers

myk said:
White Horse said:
what atrocious behaviour.

what sort of lunatics would block a family from moving into their home. if people have an issue with this, they should take it up with the council rather than directly attacking the family involved.
I think it is a question of how much is being spent, money that could be spent elsewhere more effectively.

Sligoboy

tonys said:
I’d imagine that the real issue here is not the amount spent on the house, but the location. If the Council had spent the same money on two smaller houses in a local council estate there wouldn’t be a word about it. The issue here is not the money, it’s the neighbours and who probably to a man or women believe the travellers in question should be housed.... just not in their back yard.
Exposing hypocrisy…….. priceless, for everything else there’s a council estate. Sure wouldn’t the traveller family be more comfortable there anyway.
+1

EoinMn

Website
eoinmadden.ie
You are spot on Tony.

I heard the residents on the radio complaining yesterday they weren't consulted by the council.
If the estate agent had sold the house to any of us would the residents have been consulted? No. So why should the council consult them?

Dillinger

tonys said:

I understand that, the blockade does not surprise me one bit. It would seriously dent any neighbours ambitions on keeping up with the Jones family in D4 or Montenotte.

Twin Towers

Could there be a Zanu FF connection anxious to shift the 500k home in a falling market?

myk

€465k is not a huge amount of money for a house for ten people.

Vega1447

EoinMn said:
You are spot on Tony.

I heard the residents on the radio complaining yesterday they weren't consulted by the council.
If the estate agent had sold the house to any of us would the residents have been consulted? No. So why should the council consult them?
Hang on - if a local unemployed "non-traveller" family of 10 were without satisfactory accommodation would Council buy a (in present property market) *very* expensive house for them?

Or would they just enter the housing list at the appropriate slot given their needs (number of and health of children etc)?

The Travellers in question have according to article lived in Ballina for a decade - does N Tipp CoCo take this to mean that family must be housed in the village.

I find it hard to believe that CoCo didn't have option of renting or buying property at *much* lower price in less des res area of N Tipp.

Or do posters think that Travellers must be housed where they prefer no matter what the cost?

bob3344

The issue here is not the money, it’s the neighbours
The real issue is the money. I.e. watching the value of your house go down the toilet.

Very easy to bang on about hypocrisy etc, but a tough pill to swallow if you're servicing a mortgage for 500k & looking at someone getting a free ride next door.

Popular Threads

Most Replies