• Due to a glitch in the old vBulletin software, some users were "banned" when they tried to change their passwords at the end of February. This does not apply after the site was converted to Xenforo. If you were affected by this, please contact us.

Councillor Anna Marley, SF, to step down from Galway City Council

General Urko

Councillor Anna Marley, SF, and a representative for The Galway Central Ward, has decided to step down from the council, effective from September, citing that it was challenging to balance having a new born child with the workload as a councillor in particular with the lack of maternity leave in the job.
Anna has been that very rare breed of politician in this country - a very genuine, socially concerned and true community representative. Her presence on the city council will be genuinely missed!
Perhaps, she may come back in the future.

Sinn Féin city councillor to step down - Connacht Tribune - Galway City Tribune

Roberto Jordan

Councillor Anna Marley, SF, and a representative for The Galway Central Ward, has decided to step down from the council, effective from September, citing that it was challenging to balance having a new born child with the workload as a councillor in particular with the lack of maternity leave in the job.
Anna has been that very rare breed of politician in this country - a very genuine, socially concerned and true community representative. Her presence on the city council will be genuinely missed!

Know nothing of the Councillor but given that , when I lived in Ireland, most councilors ( like most senators and a significant minority of TDs) seem to have active, time consuming ongoing business outside of their political "hobby" ( often indirectly linked to politics if you were cynical enough given the % of auctioneers, builders, retail owners, general medical practitioners & pharmacists ( med cards) and solicitors ( conveyancing & free legal aid)) I admire any politician who says "no I dont have enough time to do the job right".

automaticforthepeople

Strange decision that. In Wexford Cllr Anthony Kelly suffered a serious illness after Christmas and has yet to fully recover. SF appointed a member to assist him and to make representations for constituents on his behalf.

Why can SF not make the same arrangement in Galway? Is it that an urban based councillor poses a threat to their rural based candidate who underperformed in the General Election in 2016?

Florence

I'm puzzled by this 'lack of maternity leave' claim. TDs, senators and councillors get paid in full whether they turn up for work (Dail sittings or Council meetings) or not. All they would lose by taking maternity leave is their 'turning up money' (travel allowances) which is fair enough as they didn't turn up! With a young baby surely she could manage a few emails/letters when the baby is asleep. And why can't the baby's father help more around the house and with the baby? Some cllrs make it a full time job getting medical cards etc for constituents instead of send people to the local citizens information centre for help. Getting people things they are entitled to anyway may for a cllr get him/her onto the Dail gravy train.

Interesting that SF has apparently not helped with cover.

Last edited:

realistic1

I know of her and the hard work she has been at for the last decade or so.

Maybe the surname 'Marley' is an embarrassment to the new SF breed, that are currently trying to mutate the party into Irish Labour mark 2??

12 bens

Maybe the surname 'Marley' is an embarrassment to the new SF breed, that are currently trying to mutate the party into Irish Labour mark 2??
'Bob' is it?

ShinnerBot No.32564844524

Are you kidding? Larry Marley was a massive influence, and the pettiness of the actions of the RUC and BA in harassing a dead man's funeral for the guts of a week will always stand out for the malignancy of the British state in the six counties. I don't think myself or others would hang around SF for long if what you're insinuating were even remotely true.

[video=youtube;oMXIs8ck4ho]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oMXIs8ck4ho[/video]

In any case, the real tragedy here is the loss of a genuine dedicated woman who clearly has earned a good reputation in her work. Decent people in politics is something we as a society should cherish, sadly our track record shows we desire other nasty things entirely.

johnnypockets

Is a councillor's pay stopped if they have a baby?

realistic1

Are you kidding? Larry Marley was a massive influence, and the pettiness of the actions of the RUC and BA in harassing a dead man's funeral for the guts of a week will always stand out for the malignancy of the British state in the six counties. I don't think myself or others would hang around SF for long if what you're insinuating were even remotely true.

[video=youtube;oMXIs8ck4ho]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oMXIs8ck4ho[/video]

In any case, the real tragedy here is the loss of a genuine dedicated woman who clearly has earned a good reputation in her work. Decent people in politics is something we as a society should cherish, sadly our track record shows we desire other nasty things entirely.
No I am not "kidding" just offering my opinion. I have noticed a drift away from Nationalism within SF among a rump of influential SF reps.

ShinnerBot No.32564844524

No I am not "kidding" just offering my opinion. I have noticed a drift away from Nationalism within SF among a rump of influential SF reps.
Hard to comprehend given the huge boost Brexit has given to people to focus on UI, but fair enough if that's how you perceive it. With regards to the reps you feel are drifting....any chances of some names and examples?

between the bridges

Did she know wee Jamie...

realistic1

Hard to comprehend given the huge boost Brexit has given to people to focus on UI, but fair enough if that's how you perceive it. With regards to the reps you feel are drifting....any chances of some names and examples?
SF campaigned for the UK to remain in the EU, so if the UK had remained there would have been no "boost" for a United Ireland?

Se0samh

SF campaigned for the UK to remain in the EU, so if the UK had remained there would have been no "boost" for a United Ireland?
Many people believed(rightly) that England would vote to leave, if the remaining constituent parts of the UK were to vote to remain(which they did apart from Wales) then a break up of the UK would become more likely...................:rolleyes:

automaticforthepeople

2 SF reps gone in one day. When Sf reps started to resign about 6 months ago in significant numbers a thread outlining this was zooed. We log on to the most peculiar site sometimes.

Fullforward

Thanks to RTE's Section 31 and the lackies in the rest of the so-called media most people in the Freestate wouldn't know who Larry was so you need not worry.

General Urko

I'm very surprised that most of the comments in this thread have been a bit negative, it's obvious that you don't know the level of this ladies sheer dedication to being a public representative and she is very good at it!

hollandia

I'm very surprised that most of the comments in this thread have been a bit negative, it's obvious that you don't know the level of this ladies sheer dedication to being a public representative and she is very good at it!
The comment regarding dedication is probably going to be ignored. There are (believe it, or believe it not) dedicated, hardworking and decent people across all the political parties.

New Threads

Popular Threads

Most Replies