• Due to a glitch in the old vBulletin software, some users were "banned" when they tried to change their passwords at the end of February. This does not apply after the site was converted to Xenforo. If you were affected by this, please contact us.

Councillors Expenses

loner

See that John Gormley intends to reduce Councillors expenses to a maximum of 2000 Euro per annum---he must be applauded for this action.

locke

It's a good idea to cap it, but it would seem unfair to put the same cap on councillors from large counties, such as Galway, Mayo or Cork as on councillors from city authorities. They will rack up more expenses representing their constituents.

fergalr

He's doing a good job at local government reform. Or trying to at least, it seems.

loner

According to todays Indo some councils have a conference spending allowance of 10,000 euro and this does not include the cost bto the council of conference fees and foreign travel flights

geraghd

Indeed. Though 2000 seems an awfully low amount. I think the system of Councillors expenses is one that is given very little attention to by the people and in the media, but which facilitates an outrageous abuse of public funds and should no doubt be overhauled. How could any councillor spend more than 30,000 a year in expenses for legitimate council business? Some of the higher claimants have put in for figures up to and exceeding 100K.

willoughby

Seeing as they have only 3 councillors I can see why this might be something he will push.

laidback

Councillors are paid salaries (taxable) and expenses (not taxed or in general vouched).

Payments can vary depending on the council involved. In Dublin City Council for example
the salary is c€18,000 pa. Expenses for attending meetings to a max of €8406 are paid if you attend the majority of meetings - no receipts required.

As p/t employees of the council there's no reason why travel costs to what is their work should be paid.

They can also get money for broadband, telephone (vouched ) and conference attendance money which includes subsistence and mileage money paid at civil service rates. There is an extra €6000 for chairing a strategic policy committee.

When a councillor retires/or loses his seat there is a significant gratuity or as I call it scrappage money. Only two years service is necessary to be eligible for the scrappage money.

The costs of councillors has significantly increased in recent years without the general public knowing it.

loner

Councillors are paid salaries (taxable) and expenses (not taxed or in general vouched).

Payments can vary depending on the council involved. In Dublin City Council for example
the salary is c€18,000 pa. Expenses for attending meetings to a max of €8406 are paid if you attend the majority of meetings - no receipts required.

As p/t employees of the council there's no reason why travel costs to what is their work should be paid.

They can also get money for broadband, telephone (vouched ) and conference attendance money which includes subsistence and mileage money paid at civil service rates. There is an extra €6000 for chairing a strategic policy committee.

When a councillor retires/or loses his seat there is a significant gratuity or as I call it scrappage money. Only two years service is necessary to be eligible for the scrappage money.

The costs of councillors has significantly increased in recent years without the general public knowing it.
Be interesting to know how much each Dublin City Councillor was paid in each of the past 5 years

Fingal MCC

Website
www.alanfarrell.ie
Be interesting to know how much each Dublin City Councillor was paid in each of the past 5 years
All elected members salaries are public information available under FOI from FOI officer of relevant council/clerk of the dail. Just ask...

For your information, Fingal's Conference budget is set at €3k per annum, per councillor and is signed for by the councillor concerned.

laidback

Loner

Re Dublin City cllr costs I saw a table of some cllrs salaries and expenses in a local paper before the local elections 2009.

Don't have the paper now but I remembered some of the figures because I was quite surprised. Like a lot of people I thought being a cllr was a voluntary thing, and in many cases an investment because you get a profile and then get onto the Dail gravy train.

Whether the paper needed FOI to get this information I don't know. It was certainly an interesting feature because it went through all the allowances they can claim and explained about the workload of councillors.

You could try just asking Dublin City Council for the 5 years figures- they might just tell you.

N17

Here are the recent expenses for Castlebar Town Council. (not all these were re-elected in June. The sitting Mayor lost his seat). The expenses for Mayo County Council are also on this site.
www.frankdurcan.ie - Home

feet first

How about John Gormley slashing his own expenses.
In view of the fact that the Greens lost all bar 3 of their sitting councillors , this appears nothing short of a vindictive publicity stunt by a shallow little man, who a a member of the most corrupt party in the history of Irish Politics..
My reason for saying this is because they sold their principles, souls and authority to the Fianna Fail party ,

ang

Article in Limerick Leader published 14th May 2009. According to an Independent Candidate, Limerick County Council released expenses details to him for Lim.County Councillors 2008. He says they are paid in the region of e17.000 per annum and average expenses and allowances were e30.000. I think there is an urgent need for this sort of spending to be capped. Remember a lot of these people have a day job.

New Threads

Popular Threads

Most Replies