• It has come to our attention that some users may have been "banned" when they tried to change their passwords after the site was hacked due to a glitch in the old vBulletin software. This would have occurred around the end of February and does not apply after the site was converted to Xenforo. If you believe you were affected by this, please contact a staff member or use the Contact us link at the bottom of any forum page.

Councillors learn Facebook - paid for by us

Barnacle

Now this is really taking the ****. We now have to foot the bill for Councillors to learn how to use facebook. Let them learn themselves, let their kids show them, their grandchildren, whoever, but why should we pay for it.

COUNCILLORS will attend a crash course this weekend on using social-networking site Facebook -- for a €195 fee.

However, when the hotel and travelling costs are included each councillor could run up fees and expenses of more than €500.

Last night the conference system was branded a "flagrant waste of taxpayers' money" that brings no benefit to the public.

The conference is called 'Facebook for Councillors -- a Business Perspective' and will run tomorrow at the Killarney Heights Hotel, Co Kerry.
Last night Fine Gael councillor Michael Fitzgerald -- former president of the Association of County and City Councils -- defended the conference, saying it would bring benefits to councillors and constituents.

He said it would benefit constituents because councillors would "get to know different people" and their roles within the community. However, Fine Gael's Brian Hayes, spokesman on public expenditure, blasted the conference system.

"Every councillor knows the entire industry built around councillor conferences is simply there to help people claim expenses," he said.

"It would be much better if people were paid properly rather than traipsing around the country and claiming for hotels and mileage."
Taxpayer to foot bill for crash course on Facebook - National News, Frontpage - Independent.ie

Aindriu

I heard this on Nova on the way in this morning.

Feckin disgusting is what it is!

Yet again it is a case of rules for the powerful and rules for the proles. :mad:

SeanieFitz

one sure way you can change system, from within!

we voted them in!

realistic1

Yet again it is a case of rules for the powerful and rules for the proles. :mad:
Forgive my ignorance but what is Nova? and yes I agree 'Feckin disgusting'

TradCat

We just need the names of those attending. People should know when they are being asked to vote for people who are too thick to figure out Facebook without a course.

Skrynesaver

Christ on a bike, what a business model,
Write a makey uppy training proposal
Book an expensive hotel
Invite every councillor in the country @ 200 notes each.
profit

It's amazing how all the good ideas are simple ;)

Barnacle

Christ on a bike, what a business model,
Write a makey uppy training proposal
Book an expensive hotel
Invite every councillor in the country @ 200 notes each.
profit

It's amazing how all the good ideas are simple ;)
Don't forget the Travel and Subsistence, those damn expenses again!!

Aindriu

Radio Nova. Blast from the past for all us 80's kids.
And earlier - much earlier ;)

Best radio station in Ireland. Just a shame I can't receive it in the car until I reach Kilpedder :(

103 in Santry and 107 at Three Rock

realistic1

Barnacle

And earlier - much earlier ;)

Best radio station in Ireland. Just a shame I can't receive it in the car until I reach Kilpedder :(

103 in Santry and 107 at Three Rock
Ahh, I remember the days, I even the remember the last day it was on air, 'twas sad!!

I have the same problem receiving it in my car in many areas too. :(

DCon

Is the State paying to enhance existing councillor's re-election prospects?

Seems strange.

florin

Is there anything useful that councillors actually DO?

gombeensville

Expenses racket, it could be a symposium on the mating rituals of bats and they'd still go. My bets is that if you set up a training programme for facebook in their own individual counties a very small minority of the bunch attending this junket would turn up. There was a report earlier in the year that the number of paid conferences/talks attended by councillors in their own county (where expenses didn't apply) was a shadow of those that incurred travelling expenses. But then, who votes these spongers back in every time?

SKELLY

This is a ************************************g disgrace!!

Someones gotta go down there and get the names of these gob************************es.

redhead101

Anyway of naming and shaming the attendees?
The event is being run by a private company, so they cannot release the list of attendees, but hopefully there'll be a few photographers and reporters present to help us put together the Hall of Shame.