Councillors vote to fly Palestinian flag over Dublin's City Hall

eoghanacht

At least in the French revolution there were guillotines for the corrupt elite. What we have in Dublin is the chaos with none of the good parts.
So it's nothing like the terror then.

Henry94.

We have deprived local councils of real power so they only way for them to get attention is this kind of grandstanding. You can hardly expect the type of people who run for election to sit quietly for five years without trying to draw attention to themselves.

The solution is to give them real work to do but central government have made sure that they have none. If they act like a Students Union it's because they are treated like one.

eoghanacht

This.

Children playing a politics, because they got fed up playing hospital.
Yes, memo received.

Only stats and blokes are permitted an opinion on international matters.

Edit; you forgot to include the ubiquitous solemn warning that you would have voted SF except for things like this.

SeanieFitz

So this thread is basically a load of pro Zionist, right wing nuts who'd never vote for the shinners in a million years telling us how they won't be voting for SF because of a democratic decision to fly a flag.

I'm away to do something constructive. Waste of space
I don't see it that way. I don't see this as an issue that falls withing the remit of Local Government.The remit of County/City Councillors is to represent their constituents in the decision making processes within their local authority, how money is spent, what projects should proceed, etc.
I don't see the raising of the Palestinian flag over city hall as something that should fall within the remit of local councillors. This has nothing to do with local government, imo.

https://www.tasc.ie/opengovtoolkit/engaging-as-citizens/local-government/

Clanrickard

I could just about buy that DD might, might vote SF.

But no Clantard, who spent most of last year with a Thatcher avatar was going to vote SF.

Pull the other one lads it has bells on it.
Unlike I have met and spoken with some SF TDs. I went to college with a well know one and she is smart, articulate and intelligent. I have contempltaed voting SF and voted for Marty McG in the Presidential elections last time.

Flying the Palestinian flag, voting for Saudi Arabia onto a women's rights committee. Notice a trend. Wait for the announcement of diplomatic relations with Islamic State.
Note the ************************************************ who prosed this says Israel is worse than apartheid South Africa when in fact it is the only country that has equal rights for all citizens. BBC NEWS | Middle East | Palestinian gays flee to Israel

Sister Mercedes

I'd like to see the councillors trying to fly a rainbow flag over Gaza City Hall. We'd see some guillotining then.

Fullforward

I don't see it that way. I don't see this as an issue that falls withing the remit of Local Government.The remit of County/City Councillors is to represent their constituents in the decision making processes within their local authority, how money is spent, what projects should proceed, etc.
I don't see the raising of the Palestinian flag over city hall as something that should fall within the remit of local councillors. This has nothing to do with local government, imo.

https://www.tasc.ie/opengovtoolkit/engaging-as-citizens/local-government/
Seannie, should the Council ONLY give the "Freedom of the City" to locals?

RasherHash

Did they fly any flags in support of the hundreds of thousands of Syrians murdered by the Assad regime or the millions displaced as refugees by him?
Or indeed any other world catastrophe?
You don't care about any of that, you only care about israhell :)

Clanrickard

You don't care about any of that, you only care about israhell :)
You must have had an erection when you saw the Palestinian flag, thinking of all those dead Jews.

Fullforward

I'd like to see the councillors trying to fly a rainbow flag over Gaza City Hall. We'd see some guillotining then.
It would be like Dublin a few short years ago.

Fullforward

You must have had an erection when you saw the Palestinian flag, thinking of all those dead Jews.
And did you have a little snigger to yourself thinking of all the dead Palestinians?

Fullforward

Why? Are you suggesting that the very same homeless people you twitter about at election time, are living the life of Reilly at your expense?
I don't use Twitter, and where did you get the notion that I thought people had a great life at my expense?

Fullforward

Ask the Council. They don't appear to have much else to do, apart from a flying a flag.

I'll let you know soon enough, if they are paying stewards to police protests, and to threaten people with opposing political views.

The problem there is quite simple, because I was registered on the housing waiting list, on that Council, which means they are paying people to threaten former homeless people.
Elaborate.

RasherHash

The corporation is supposed to be trying to attract jobs. Finance is the most Jewish dominated industry but hey let's alienate most of the CEO's of US investment banks looking to relocate after Brexit. Meanwhile in technology the CEO's of Oracle, Bloomberg, Dell, Google, Facebook etc etc are Jewish.
So you're saying most of the bankers are Jews...isn't that supposed to be an antisemitic meme?

Should we ditch our principles of basic human rights for oppressed people because you reckon the Jews own everything?

SeanieFitz

Seannie, should the Council ONLY give the "Freedom of the City" to locals?
Freedom of the City is within their remit, it is a reserved function.

Voting to fly the Palestinian flag from City Hall should not be something that should be of concern of local councillors.

I expect that it was a Notice of Motion that was placed on the agenda of a monthly meeting and was carried by the council. It is not a function of the elected council

Fullforward

Freedom of the City is within their remit, it is a reserved function.

Voting to fly the Palestinian flag from City Hall should not be something that should be of concern of local councillors.

I expect that it was a Notice of Motion that was placed on the agenda of a monthly meeting and was carried by the council. It is not a function of the elected council
If not then there may be a legal challenge, no?

New Threads

Most Replies