Count Down To the General Election

jmcc

So will there be a General Election in 2010?
Will the Greens walk having first split into pro FF and anti FF groups?

Regards...jmcc

ocoonassa

If they do have an election who is there to vote for?

They all look like useless corrupt gombeens from where I'm sat.

Maybe now we've got an election we should hold out for a revolution?

HarshBuzz

IMF in April
Election in May

Tomas Mor

I am inclined to view we will have GE now. FF realise they may lose all by elections, and will have to have GE in New year. AS they run risk of losing vote on budget, they may well call it a day and leave it to opposition to implement budget. After all why would FF give alternativeg the satisfaction of bringing in a tough budget only then for them to exit. So cut and run now seems a lilkely option.

jmcc

I wonder if the government will even last until tomorrow. Somehow I think that the Greens are in the PD situation of being faced with doing the right and honourable thing or staying in government with FF. The PDs screwed up but will the Greens do likewise? It is the difference between electoral survival and electoral extinction for the Greens.

Regards...jmcc

Tomas Mor

I expect an announcement this evening that pat the cope will be the FF candadate
If so, the Cope playing musical chairs with his own seat is a disgrace.

niropiro

An election is pointless because whoever is in power is simply going to have to implement the same cuts and repayments.

PUFF DADDY

An election is pointless because whoever is in power is simply going to have to implement the same cuts and repayments.

But the won't have blood on their hands. I for one, want to see FF get slaughtered in the next GE and I want the incoming govt to be serious about political reform to end this parish pump gombeen politics that has played a part in ruining this country.

OceanFrog

I wonder if the government will even last until tomorrow. Somehow I think that the Greens are in the PD situation of being faced with doing the right and honourable thing or staying in government with FF. The PDs screwed up but will the Greens do likewise? It is the difference between electoral survival and electoral extinction for the Greens.

Regards...jmcc
I disagree. Its electoral slaughter for the Greens either way.

The fact that they know this is a strong incentive for them to cling to office for as long as possible.

Mushroom

I wonder if the government will even last until tomorrow. Somehow I think that the Greens are in the PD situation of being faced with doing the right and honourable thing or staying in government with FF.

The PDs screwed up but will the Greens do likewise?
Yes

Wjc271

Greens have said writ must be moved. Sinn Fein will go back to courts on Dublin South and Waterford. Donegal campaign will become referendum on Government 4 year plan. Opinions will become polarised. Another of goernment TD's or Greens will jump ship before budget. FF will lose Donegal. Budget has no chance of getting through. I think we could be looking at GE before Christmas with budget in January. We do not have to go back to bond markets for a few months by which stage we will at least have a goernment with a mandate. This will unravel quickly.

Last edited:

spineless

I am inclined to view we will have GE now. FF realise they may lose all by elections, and will have to have GE in New year. AS they run risk of losing vote on budget, they may well call it a day and leave it to opposition to implement budget. After all why would FF give alternativeg the satisfaction of bringing in a tough budget only then for them to exit. So cut and run now seems a lilkely option.
That would be the pragmatic thing to do but I feel this shower will try and hang on until they are dragged out screaming. What really concerns me at this juncture is the imminent return to the bond markets in early 2011.:-(

AlanDukesofMoralHazard

This glee at punishing FF in election confuses me. They'll still be living the lives of luxury with no pressure, just pensions. By the way, was wondering about various politician's IQs earlier.
Cowen -103
Lenihan - 139
Coughlan -76
Healy-Rae -same as his age

locke

I reckon March 2011.

The opposition don't reall want one before the budget.

Although with Gilmore's current troubles, it would suit FG at the moment.

Paulo

I reckon March 2011.

The opposition don't reall want one before the budget.

Although with Gilmore's current troubles, it would suit FG at the moment.
Not so sure about that. I don't think the opposition wants to take power with the FF budget around its neck. I believe they now want to pull down the gov asap and will take whatever opportunity is presented. Gilmore's "trouble" is a Independent Newspapers smear I think, although I am not a fan of his

consultant

IMF in April
Election in May
That wouldn't surprise me.

Which would our EU/IMF masters prefer? An election now that would result in the demise of FF and the greens (the architects and technicians of our current situation hence compliant patsies) and the introduction of a new 'innocent' government?

OR, allow them to stay in situ while we are ceremoniously reamed and financially gutted while those responsible stand silently by?

Franzoni

That would be the pragmatic thing to do but I feel this shower will try and hang on until they are dragged out screaming. What really concerns me at this juncture is the imminent return to the bond markets in early 2011.:-(
I would love to see FF and the Greens dragged out screaming except the the screaming wouldn't last for long......

Holy Cow

Paul Gogarty has just tweeted

Will be making more comprehensive statement on education shortly. Will put on website and tweet in advance. Fair is worth fighting for!
Cowen may be heading to the park very soon, and not to Farmleigh.

New Threads

Popular Threads

Most Replies