Country of the Year 2016

HarshBuzz

A time to recognise and salute those countries that have outperformed in 2016.

The Economist suggests Colombia. I'd like to see their narco-state status further reduced though (and the truce to hold for a few years) before giving them the prize.

Personally (and I mean this as no way an endorsement), country of the year for me has to be Russia. Despotic, brutal, repressive....they've had a most impressive year. Tinkering quite openly with the US election, casting long shadows over Europe once more, bombing Assad to the brink of victory...nothing appears to make Russians feel good about themselves like having a murderous thug at the helm. An impressive showing you would have to admit. Their economy is still a basket case but who cares when you can project power on a grand scale?

Further nominations please.....

Truth.ie

The Economist suggests Colombia. I'd like to see their narco-state status further reduced though (and the truce to hold for a few years) before giving them the prize.

Personally (and I mean this as no way an endorsement), country of the year for me has to be Russia. Despotic, brutal, repressive....they've had a most impressive year. Tinkering quite openly with the US election, casting long shadows over Europe once more, bombing Assad to the brink of victory...nothing appears to make Russians feel good about themselves like having a murderous thug at the helm. An impressive showing you would have to admit. Their economy is still a basket case but who cares when you can project power on a grand scale?

How about a Russia-bashing sub-forum.
This place is going to the dogs.
Why start a thread based on a pretext of a debate and then derail it with your political broadcasting.

HarshBuzz

How about a Russia-bashing sub-forum.
This place is going to the dogs.
Why start a thread based on a pretext of a debate and then derail it with your political broadcasting.
I've said I detest the Russian regime. However, I have acknowledged that in terms of geopolitical influence, they've had a most impressive year and should be applauded.

You should be happy. Russia is on the rise. Instead you choose to take needless offence.

Truth.ie

I've said I detest the Russian regime. However, I have acknowledged that in terms of geopolitical influence, they've had a most impressive year and should be applauded.

You should be happy. Russia is on the rise. Instead you choose to take needless offence.
Fair enough.
I recommend Russia for it's economic advancements, it's modernisation. it's humanitarian operation in Syria and it's reaching out to the US despite extreme provocation.

I also recommend Egypt for pulling back from the brink of Civil war, getting a grip on Islamic terrorism (though not completely) and restoring democracy despite all the odds.

cyberianpan

Website
www.google.com
In terms of exerting their influence on the world: Russia

Canada seem to have had the best internal year ... though haven't heard from the DPRK yet ...“the clacks” have slowed down somewhat since he started the...

cyp

truthisfree

I would agree Russia, but what I have bolded is horsesh!t tbh...

fat finger

So, Russia may or may not have participated in regime change in America. What exactly is the problem with that? Answers on a postcard to US Embassy, PO Box 1, Baghdad, Iraq.

truthisfree

So, Russia may or may not have participated in regime change in America. What exactly is the problem with that? Answers on a postcard to US Embassy, PO Box 1, Baghdad, Iraq.
Russia had as about as much to do with the US election as ireland did... SWA..

O

Oscurito

Fair enough.
I recommend Russia for it's economic advancements, it's modernisation. it's humanitarian operation in Syria and it's reaching out to the US despite extreme provocation.

I also recommend Egypt for pulling back from the brink of Civil war, getting a grip on Islamic terrorism (though not completely) and restoring democracy despite all the odds.
Given that it's been in recession for two years, I wonder could you give some examples of what you mean, please.

Billixed

During the roughly nine week period that the battle to free Aleppo intensified there were far fewer civilian deaths due to Russian and Syrian bombing than there were during the 7 weeks of Israel's massacre in Gaza in 2014 when they butchered 550 children, and this was as the Israelis faced homemade rockets that only killed a couple of people, whereas Syrians faced a network of terrorist groups armed to the teeth with state-of-the-art weapons that killed hundreds of civilians and represented a very real existential threat. And of course the Russians and Assad were protecting the sovereignty of the Syrian state, whereas Israel was bombing a people they've illegally occupied and oppressed for 47 years (at that time).

So you'll condemn Israel far more I take it?

There is zero evidence that Russia tinkered with the US election - in fact Obama himself said that every vote was verified. There is zero evidence that Russia gave the Democratic party's emails to WikiLeaks either - zero.

How does this translate to 'Tinkering quite openly with the US election'?

Do you condemn the US for overthrowing the Ukrainian government by way of a coup in 2014?

Oh and what's this about Russia casting long shadows over Europe, 'once more'?

Can you explain? As what I see as having cast a much bigger shadow over Europe is a refugee crisis caused in no small part by the regime change wars of Iraq, Libya and Syria pushed by the US, Israel, the UK, France (apart from Iraq) etc, and the US unilaterally withdrawing from the Anti-Ballistic Missile Treaty in 2002, and driving NATO further Eastwards against prior agreements right up to Russia's border.

So you'll clearly be condemning those countries I presume.

As for projecting power on a grand scale, well, I for one am pleased they have as in so doing they may have stopped the far greater and deadly projection of power on a grand scale that was the West's aforementioned destruction of the Middle East that has brought us the refugee crisis, and has caused the rise of Saudi-Arabian-influenced Wahhabist death cults like ISIS.

Anyway, we agree at least that Russia is most deserving of country of the year 2016, but for the reasons I pointed out, the factually correct, honourable reasons, not the fabricated ones you heard on the fake news channels you watch, European fake news channels that parrot the propaganda of the US State Department and our European leaders who support all the carnage the US and its lapdog countries - many European - have bestowed upon Europe, and Iraq, and Libya, and Syria, and Gaza, and Ukraine.

Last edited:

FunkyBoogaloo

Ireland.

'cause we punch above our weight (Paddywhackery day is fast approaching), and we're at the heart of europe.

Vote yes for jobs!

HarshBuzz

Ireland.

'cause we punch above our weight (Paddywhackery day is fast approaching), and we're at the heart of europe.

Vote yes for jobs!
we may jest but Ireland has actually had a pretty good year

- not one dissident Republican attack
- V-shaped recovery continues apace

on the downside, the election campaign was truly depressing - Mickey M emerging as head and shoulders above the leadership field is a joke in itself

and the ghosts of Brexit and Trump hover at the feast....

HarshBuzz

that was most enjoyable Comrade Billixovich

it was of course completely off-topic but a good rant can be most emetic for the soul - and in your case, clearly badly needed

sic transit

No, it's not really but they did not affect the election. Other countries are just more discreet with their cyberwarfare.

On topic Colombia as country of the year.

HarshBuzz

No, it's not really but they did not affect the election. Other countries are just more discreet with their cyberwarfare.

On topic Colombia as country of the year.
I guess on Colombia I've just seen too many false dawns at this stage. I found the Economist article to contain more than a smidgen of wishful thinking.
I have never been there but anyone who has speaks very warmly of the natural beauty of the place.

The one I am dying to nominate some year is Zimbabwe. Once the dictator dies and if ZANU-PF can be persuaded to loosen their grip, the potential is there on every front - economic, tourism, cultural.

Next year I hope.

RasherHash

Is Russia worse than the USA?

People living in sewers while the billionaires hoover up more taxpayers money.

Elections won by the wealthy for the wealthy.

Taxpayers money siphoned off to keep a murdering apartheid statelet afloat at all costs.

I accept Russia is no Disneyland for its people but neither is the US.

HarshBuzz

Is Russia worse than the USA?

People living in sewers while the billionaires hoover up more taxpayers money.

Elections won by the wealthy for the wealthy.

Taxpayers money siphoned off to keep a murdering apartheid statelet afloat at all costs.

I accept Russia is no Disneyland for its people but neither is the US.
you seem to be missing the point....this is not another interminable Russia\US thread

it's about recognising the countries that did best in 2016. I don't think anyone would nominate the US on that score.

New Threads