• It has come to our attention that some users may have been "banned" when they tried to change their passwords after the site was hacked due to a glitch in the old vBulletin software. This would have occurred around the end of February and does not apply after the site was converted to Xenforo. If you believe you were affected by this, please contact a staff member or use the Contact us link at the bottom of any forum page.

Coursing Club in dire financial straits...

MikeM55

Though a ban on hare coursing wasn't included in the PFG, the coursing fraternity is very, very worried about an unrelated issue...it lost its case v a property developer in the High Court earlier this year...it revolved around a claim by the developer that the ICC (Irish Coursing Club) had reneged on an agreed contract re sale of a piece of property. (full details on case on Courts.ie website)

The developer, Greenband Investments, is seeking very substantial damages and costs, which could run into millions of Euro.

After losing the case in the High Court, the ICC appealed, as is its right, to the Supreme Court.

The problem for the ICC is that if the Supreme Court rejects that appeal the future of this umbrella body for hare coursing in Ireland will be very bleak indeed. The costs and damages could be astronomical.

Lots of people on both sides of the hare coursing controversy are watching these high stake legal developments very closely. While nonody can second-;)guess what the Supreme Court's decision will be,some of us have a certain expectation, shall we say!

An internet search will reveal some very interesting articles following the progress of this case,..

As an opponent of hare coursing myself, I have a particular view on this. Let's see what happens!!!

beanie

Wonderful news.

unicorn

Good news!

Best news I've heard for some time. I hope they lose every cent. :D

Dataman

Dream on folks, the members of the ICC wont let the club fold regardless of outcome of the case.

beanie

Dream on folks, the members of the ICC wont let the club fold regardless of outcome of the case.
OK they probably won't fold, but it's gotta hurt. :D

MikeM55

No Dream

It's no dream guys...the ICC is ALREADY in severe financial difficulties...add a legal bill of maybe six million Euro and you've got more than just a proverbial slap on the wrist.

That's of course unless the government bales them out..which I can't see happening in the present economic climate.

The High Court judge in the case observed that the ICC is a members club rather than a corporate body...so all members would be liable to pay up.

There's a peculiar set-up at present whereby all greyhound owners MUST register their dogs with the ICC...whether the greyhound is for coursing or track racing.

So even if you're opposed to hare coursing on animal welfare grounds and just want to run your dog on the track you are still legally obliged to pay a registration fee to the Coursing Club!

The money raised from registration fees is the life-blood of the ICC. Take that away and the whole network of hare-baiting gangs affiliated to the umbrella organisation would also take a big hit.

Fianna Fail coursing fans are no doubt acutely aware of this fact and will not in the near future back the transfer of greyhound registration to, say, the Greyhound Board responsible specifically for track racing.

But a move on that front is inevitable at some point. This is a very sensitive point with hare coursing fans. Registration fees keep their Fun-Cruelty operations up and running. You wouldn't ban their bloodsport by hitting them in their pockets thus...but, as with the puppy farm law's expected impact on hunting kennels, you could certainly "hang" hare coursing, and what a lovely event that would be!:lol:

goosebump

A fraternity of gombeen hicks is bad enough. A fraternity of gombeen hicks with a mutual interest in animal cruelty for sport is another thing entirely.

A plague on the ICC. I hope the SC torpedoes them, and may they all rot in hell.

cagp

Property developer vs. Hare coursers? Who wants to take sides in that fight?

TommyO'Brien

Personally I would not shed a tear if the ICC went under. I have always regarded coursing with abhorrence as a disgusting 'sport'. That is my personal opinion.

MMR

It's no dream guys...the ICC is ALREADY in severe financial difficulties...add a legal bill of maybe six million Euro and you've got more than just a proverbial slap on the wrist.

That's of course unless the government bales them out..which I can't see happening in the present economic climate.

The High Court judge in the case observed that the ICC is a members club rather than a corporate body...so all members would be liable to pay up.

There's a peculiar set-up at present whereby all greyhound owners MUST register their dogs with the ICC...whether the greyhound is for coursing or track racing.

So even if you're opposed to hare coursing on animal welfare grounds and just want to run your dog on the track you are still legally obliged to pay a registration fee to the Coursing Club!

The money raised from registration fees is the life-blood of the ICC. Take that away and the whole network of hare-baiting gangs affiliated to the umbrella organisation would also take a big hit.

Fianna Fail coursing fans are no doubt acutely aware of this fact and will not in the near future back the transfer of greyhound registration to, say, the Greyhound Board responsible specifically for track racing.

But a move on that front is inevitable at some point. This is a very sensitive point with hare coursing fans. Registration fees keep their Fun-Cruelty operations up and running. You wouldn't ban their bloodsport by hitting them in their pockets thus...but, as with the puppy farm law's expected impact on hunting kennels, you could certainly "hang" hare coursing, and what a lovely event that would be!:lol:
Mike - that "peculiar" setup is, I believe, because the recording of pedigree greyhounds began with coursing itself, which began in Ireland a long long time before track racing did. I understand there is a new person in charge at the ICC and that he is not at all your typical gombeen hick. I have heard he is doing well at steering them through all this. I am not a supporter of coursing, but do keep my ears open for developments.

MikeM55

An ethical issue

Mike - that "peculiar" setup is, I believe, because the recording of pedigree greyhounds began with coursing itself, which began in Ireland a long long time before track racing did. I understand there is a new person in charge at the ICC and that he is not at all your typical gombeen hick. I have heard he is doing well at steering them through all this. I am not a supporter of coursing, but do keep my ears open for developments.
I have nothing personal against the new ICC boss. That's not an issue for me. I am an opponent of hare coursing and other recreational cruelties activities purely on animal welfare grounds. Who's in charge of the ICC is neither here nor there...coursing clubs are in the business of setting up hares as live bait for greyhounds..for fun and games.

My point on the registration fee issue is this...if you want to get into greyhound racing, where dogs perform on the track and no live bait is used, and are OPPOSED to coursing where live animals are terrorised for fun, why should you have to join the ICC and pay money to that outfit to have your dog registered?

The registration fees are helping massively to keep hare coursing itself alive. Without this revenue, hare coursing would not command enough support to keep going.

For example, you don't have to pay money to a foxhunt in order to join a pony riding club...naturally, because while horses are involved in both activities, but not all horse riders would wish to be lending financial support to foxhunting!

sceileile

hope the icc sinks without a trace . hope coursing as a so called sport disappears forever. its the hares' revenge for all the cruelty they have suffered at human hands. maybe after all there is a god. "all things bright and beautiful all creatures great and small, the lord god loves them all"

Never thought I would be delighted with a developer, but I'm bloody thrilled that that shower of evil, sickos are worrying. I wish them all to hell, I really do. Cruel Monsters!

Eamonn76

"Course bankers and developers not hares", would have been a great Green slogan. Unfortunately the Greens allied themselves to the bankers & developers and are now coursing ordinary people. There should be a law against it. These unsmart and unsustainable policies will send the party to oblivion.

tomybhoy

Website
www.greyhoundnuts.com
The cruelty dished out by animal activists is far far greater than any perceived cruelty to the Irish Hare.
Desecrating graves is what these activists are about and to think that some of those imprisoned in the UK for such disgraceful activities would be invited to ireland by the sick irish activists is mind boggling.

Animal activists face jail over plot to steal body - Times Online

USER1234

A fraternity of gombeen hicks is bad enough. A fraternity of gombeen hicks with a mutual interest in animal cruelty for sport is another thing entirely.

A plague on the ICC. I hope the SC torpedoes them, and may they all rot in hell.
+1