• Due to a glitch in the old vBulletin software, some users were "banned" when they tried to change their passwords at the end of February. This does not apply after the site was converted to Xenforo. If you were affected by this, please us viua the Contact us link in the footer.

Coveney Blames Polish Meat Suppliers For Horsemeat Contamination

Tin Foil Hat

You say scapegoat. I say culprit.
The level of self-loathing in this country has got to a point where there are actually people who believe that it is impossible for anything to be anyone else's fault but ours.

Kev408

My understanding is that Coveney was stating what the tests showed. Be fair.

YouKnowWhatIMeanLike

The level of self-loathing in this country has got to a point where there are actually people who believe that it is impossible for anything to be anyone else's fault but ours.
sorry it's late and it's what it is a perfect scapegoat, call it the whipping boy or the fall guy. why is Silvercrest buying this cheap stuff from abroad? there are plenty of suppliers in Ireland. No?

skiii

sorry it's late and it's what it is a perfect scapegoat, call it the whipping boy or the fall guy. why is Silvercrest buying this cheap stuff from abroad? there are plenty of suppliers in Ireland. No?
Because penny wise equals pound foolish.

oggy

I go along with that. The source of the problem has been identified. If the culprit is found to have been operating a dodgy business and was in breach of contract lets leave it to the courts for a remedy. If a government department was negligent lets just get on with taking whatever measures to stop a repeat

Seanie Lemass

ABP saying that Polish source is unconnected to their plant in Poznan. Pure coincidence.

Bobcolebrooke

"POLISH meat suppliers are to blame for the horse meat found in burgers, Agriculture Minister Simon Coveney has said."

looks like they have finally found a scapegoat. Silvercrest bought the Polish ingredients to drive down costs, doesn't Silvercrest check its suppliers? Am I asking for too much? wondering if I can buy a real 100% Horseburger anywhere in Ireland now.
The contamination occured in Ireland

Food Contamination is defined as follows under EU Law: Council Regulation No. 315/93/EEC. "A 'contaminant' for the purposes of Regulation (EEC) No. 315/93 is defined as: 'any substance not intentionally added to food which is present in such food as a result of the production, manufacture, processing, preparation, treatment, packing, packaging, transport or holding of such food or as a result of environmental contamination' "

Food Contaminants | Contamination of Foodstuffs | Food Legislation | Legislation | The Food Safety Authority of Ireland

Tin Foil Hat

I go along with that. The source of the problem has been identified. If the culprit is found to have been operating a dodgy business and was in breach of contract lets leave it to the courts for a remedy. If a government department was negligent lets just get on with taking whatever measures to stop a repeat
Far from being negligent, Ireland is one of the few countries in the world where this would have ever been discovered.
This should be a story where we congratulate ourselves, not flagellate ourselves.

Bobcolebrooke

Far from being negligent, Ireland is one of the few countries in the world where this would have ever been discovered.
This should be a story where we congratulate ourselves, not flagellate ourselves.
Why do we not test imported chicken for other species?

Fides

To meet the low cost demands of Aldi, Lidl, Tesco and Dunnes. It couldn't be done with pure Irish beef. It is up to Silvercrest to check what they're putting into their burgers and they've paid a big price for not doing so. A lesson for other meat producers. But the pressure from supermarkets will continue and that means risks remain of shortcuts being taken.

asset test

To meet the low cost demands of Aldi, Lidl, Tesco and Dunnes. It couldn't be done with pure Irish beef. It is up to Silvercrest to check what they're putting into their burgers and they've paid a big price for not doing so. A lesson for other meat producers. But the pressure from supermarkets will continue and that means risks remain of shortcuts being taken.
Tesco burgers had 29% horse meat.

The other places you mention may have had traces. Some had none.

I find the quality of food in Aldi and Lidl to be very good. I don't shop in Tesco or Dunnes very often, unless I'm stuck for time, as they are near me.

Your comment about shops other than Tesco might be a bit off the mark.

Porkypie

"POLISH meat suppliers are to blame for the horse meat found in burgers, Agriculture Minister Simon Coveney has said."

looks like they have finally found a scapegoat. Silvercrest bought the Polish ingredients to drive down costs, doesn't Silvercrest check its suppliers? Am I asking for too much? wondering if I can buy a real 100% Horseburger anywhere in Ireland now.
What has happened about the reports that pig DNA was found in 85% of the 27 beef burger products tested? Which stores supply these? I want one. I am sick of the pork pies. Horse DNA found in some beef burger products FSAI's own report. Straight from the horse's mouth

Last edited:

dresden8

The other kids made me do it.

You wouldn't accept it from an 8 year old, why would you accept it from an international company with legal obligations.

elliebee

Isn't that what we've been doing in this country for years, if anything is too expensive in this country source the cheapest abroad.

That Polish supplier was EU approved - says it all really so far as I'm concerned.

Fides

Tesco burgers had 29% horse meat.

The other places you mention may have had traces. Some had none.

I find the quality of food in Aldi and Lidl to be very good. I don't shop in Tesco or Dunnes very often, unless I'm stuck for time, as they are near me.

Your comment about shops other than Tesco might be a bit off the mark.
Latest horse DNA tests 'clear' - irishhealth.com

Inquiry into horse meat found in burgers - The Irish Times - Wed, Jan 16, 2013

Most articles I have read about this include Aldi, Lidl and Dunnes as supermarkets found to have horsemeat DNA in their burgers.

I sometimes think Aldi and Lidl spokespeople frequent this site they get so much positive PR on here. In the end they are a low cost supermarket who put pressure on their suppliers in exactly the same way as other chains.

New Threads

Popular Threads

Most Replies