Coveney piles pressure on British with demand to move border to Irish Sea

Wascurito

I've only got the front page of tomorrow's Irish edition of The Times. It's the lead story for the UK edition too.

Simon Coveney is putting pressure on London saying that all this talk about an electronic border isn't going to work and would simply encourage smuggling. Since Theresa May is hell bent on leaving the customs union, Coveney is saying that a far more workable solution would be for the Irish Sea to become the de facto border.

The British are reportedly "stunned" by the change of tone from Dublin.

EDIT- PLEASE NOTE THE FOLLOWING CLARIFICATION FROM THE IRISH TIMES:
Irish Times: Coveney says there is ‘no proposal’ for Irish Sea border

<Mod> This thread has been merged with "Ireland 'demanding sea border with UK after Brexit'". </Mod>

Last edited:

Hunter-Gatherer

ireland should tell brussels where they can shove it, join da Brits in escaping the dying animal that is the EU.

Iceland, Switzerland, Norway , Serbia etc are all doing just fine without the EU.

very many countries within the EU are now an economic/legal/social mess.

Last edited:

ger12

Damn good idea.

ruserious

England's difficulty...

Hon Coveney, stick the knife in while you can. The British government are running around like headless chickens.

Hunter-Gatherer

didnt the brits offer to help us out when FF had made us bankrupt ? a much nicer offer than the sh1t sandwich we ended up getting landed with.

Dame_Enda

In theory a good idea but Unionists have always opposed this. I remember the UUP opposed proposals by the old FF-PD govt for passport checks at UK and NI ports.

I also don't fully share the govts position on a land border. I dont have a problem with stuff like cameras or drones or pre-registration as it would reduce illegal immigration which a huge issue for me.

Wascurito

ireland should tell brussels where they can shove it, join da Brits in escaping the dying animal that is the EU.

Iceland, Switzerland, Norway , Croatia etc are all doing just fine without the EU.

I'm intrigued to hear that Croatia is "without the EU". Please explain.

Are you sure that what May is planning is anything like the arrangements that Norway & Switzerland have?

firefly123

it's about time someone said it. it's the most obvious solution and if it weren't for the Tories depending on the DUP it would probably happen

Niall996

didnt the brits offer to help us out when FF had made us bankrupt ? a much nicer offer than the sh1t sandwich we ended up getting landed with.

They gave us a loan. And we gave loans to Greece. And Greece gave loans to someone else. and someone else gave a loan to the UK....

Deadlock

Iceland, Switzerland, Norway , Croatia etc are all doing just fine without the EU.

I should point out to you that of those four states you mention, three have very close Association agreements with the EU. The fourth, Croatia, became the EUs 28th member in 2013.

Very many states in the US are economic/legal/social messes.
Very many countries are economic/legal/social messes.

Wascurito

In theory a good idea but Unionists have always opposed this. I remember the UUP opposed proposals by the old FF-PD govt for passport checks at UK and NI ports.

I also don't fully share the govts position on a land border. I dont have a problem with stuff like cameras or drones or pre-registration as it would reduce illegal immigration which a huge issue for me.
It would be very difficult to police. Of course, the PULs will throw the biggest wobbly since 1690 when they get wind of this.

It might be a ploy by Dublin to get the British to see the wisdom of going for a softer Brexit.

Hogsback

Is this for real?

If so it can only be viewed as a major boost to a UI discussion.
Or at the very least a weakening of the union.

The problems for the Republic with an NI Brexit must be coming clearer to the powers that be.

Once the Chlorinated Chickens come home to roost in NI the EU will slap a ban on all produce from the island - or at least make the checks so onerous as to be disastrous for Irish agricultural exporters. It's the only way to guarantee the EU standards are followed once the UK opens up to other food standards.

ruserious

The point is, the British government are starting from a very weak negotiating position which has been made even worse since the recent general election. Now is the opportunity to get things done, if Ireland takes the correct steps. Already, the dynamic duo mentioned in the article are making me more optimistic than when Enda and Charlie were at the helm.

johnny365

I don't think the brits are too worried about Coveney. I just wish he was more concerned with the amount of Pakistani and Bangladeshi men that are flowing in from the uk.

Wascurito

England's difficulty...

Hon Coveney, stick the knife in while you can. The British government are running around like headless chickens.
....that haven't even been washed in chlorine. :lol:

ruserious

I don't think the brits are too worried about Coveney. I just wish he was more concerned with the amount of Pakistani and Bangladeshi men that are flowing in from the uk.
The International Protection Act from 2016 went some way to addressing this by allowing the Irish State to refuse entry to individuals coming here from other parts of the CTA who've had leave to remain applications refused.

Dub01

A border between Ireland and Britain was always the obvious solution after Brexit. I have no doubt the British are fully on board with the idea.

What are the DUP going to do about it..start voting for IRA supporter Corybn?

It`s a done deal already.

Henry94.

The principle of the agreement in that the people of the north have the right to decide the future of the north. If the DUP object to a sea border then it should be put to a referendum in the north. Let's see if they want to swap the blue skies of the EU for the grey mists of Brexit.

Dub01

Britain needs us to get any sort of Brexit deal. We are also their most obvious ally in acquiring that Brexit deal.

Britain needs to keep us sweet at this particular moment.

New Threads

Popular Threads

Most Replies