Covid Tracking App - Now Live

ruserious

The Covid tracking app has been released.

Join COVID Tracker Ireland to fight against COVID-19
COVID Tracker App - Ireland's Coronavirus Contact Tracing App

Available on the app stores on your smart phone.

This may be a vital tool in suppressing a future second wave.

You can access the latest stats on the app too.

Maybe inform the board if you joined it below.

jmcc

Have you had a chance to review the software?
Haven't looked at the software. I was reading the specification documents for the Apple/Google aspects (cryptographic) of the system earlier this morning. There are some similarities to the traitor tracing problem with digital rights management. I'm not sure that the people concerned about privacy (and "technology" journalists) understand how the system works or the measures that have been taken to try to make it as anonymous as possible. True anonymity is very hard to achieve and it is a very difficult problem even for those with a clue.

The decentralised design makes it somewhat more privacy friendly than a centralised system relying purely on cryptography to ensure privacy and security. There are some potential issues and the people concerned about privacy may be looking at it in very limited terms as they are thinking about personal privacy rather than how to compromise the system. Backtracking to resolve locations has been made intentionally difficult and some of the thinking behind the security model appears more textbook (key changes/id generation/timing) than innovative.

There are some technical limitations with the app not running on older smartphones. From reading the chatter this morning, there's a push by FFG shills to have it installed. The "technology" journalists will be recycling press releases as usual. :)

Last edited:

borntorum

Do not for the love of God download this thing. It is the work of very dark forces that are more than likely funded by Soros.
Well Soros is an investor in Alphabet (Google) so in one respect you are right...

borntorum

I have downloaded the app, I'm happy enough with the privacy provisions but I'll wait to see if it drains my phone's battery

Buchaill Dana

Do not for the love of God download this thing. It is the work of very dark forces that are more than likely funded by Soros.
At least you not downloading it increases the chances you will die, so not all bad news.

Buchaill Dana

I have downloaded the app, I'm happy enough with the privacy provisions but I'll wait to see if it drains my phone's battery
Pretty much my approach. The privacy and opt out seems robust.

Watcher2

Haven't looked at the software. I was reading the specification documents for the Apple/Google aspects (cryptographic) of the system earlier this morning. There are some similarities to the traitor tracing problem with digital rights management. I'm not sure that the people concerned about privacy (and "technology" journalists) understand how the system works or the measures that have been taken to try to make it as anonymous as possible. True anonymity is very hard to achieve and it is a very difficult problem even for those with a clue.

The decentralised design makes it somewhat more privacy friendly than a centralised system relying purely on cryptography to ensure privacy and security. There are some potential issues and the people concerned about privacy may be looking at it in very limited terms as they are thinking about personal privacy rather than how to compromise the system. Backtracking to resolve locations has been made intentionally difficult and some of the thinking behind the security model appears more textbook (key changes/id generation/timing) than innovative.

There are some technical limitations with the app not running on older smartphones. From reading the chatter this morning, there's a push by FFG shills to have it installed. The "technology" journalists will be recycling press releases as usual. :)
My understanding is that the government have left ownership of the data with a Google and Apple. After the Siri recordings covert surveillance scandal I can’t trust Apple on little bit. I also have no reason to believeGoogle (and the other data companies with Echo Dot, Alexa, Fitbit etc) don’t do something similar.

then watch the Netflix documentary on Cambridge Analyticas involvement in the Trump and Bexit campaigns and how they used people’s data against them in order to win those campaigns, and you should be able to see the concerns.

Those data centres popping up around the place are not there to help you find your lost phone you know.

Watcher2

You know this site is funded by Soros and he knows who you are.
By accessing here they have access to your browser history.

#midgetsinbikinis
only if you fell for their “click here to link all your devices so your life will be super tremendous” schtick

jmcc

My understanding is that the government have left ownership of the data with a Google and Apple.
If that's so then it is a serious mistake.

then watch the Netflix documentary on Cambridge Analyticas involvement in the Trump and Bexit campaigns and how they used people’s data against them in order to win those campaigns, and you should be able to see the concerns.
Think that there were two documentaries. The first was a teacher/lecturer chasing his data. The other was Brittany Kaiser's reinvention of herself as a "whistleblower". Read Chris Wylie's "Mindf*ck" for a much better insight into CA and its activities.

greencharade

My understanding is that the government have left ownership of the data with a Google and Apple. After the Siri recordings covert surveillance scandal I can’t trust Apple on little bit. I also have no reason to believeGoogle (and the other data companies with Echo Dot, Alexa, Fitbit etc) don’t do something similar.

Those data centres popping up around the place are not there to help you find your lost phone you know.
There is quite a good document on the privacy aspects here (from the HSE).

Why on earth any government agency would be sending data outside the EU (and especially to the US) for processing is beyond me.

Watcher2

There is quite a good document on the privacy aspects here (from the HSE).

Why on earth any government agency would be sending data outside the EU (and especially to the US) for processing is beyond me.

Its ridiculous. We are run by a bunch of idiots that have zero clue how to manage these things.

Oooh, look, there is an app for this. Lets get it and roll it out. Aren't we so progressive and tech savvy.

recedite

The HSE’s contact tracing app, developed by Waterford company Nearform, uses your phone’s bluetooth connection to keep a log of any close contacts.
although the app does not have access to location data, the Exposure Notification Service on Android requires location services to be turned on, as previously mentioned. This doesn’t mean the HSE app has any access to location data; the Android operating system shows what apps have permission to access and have actually accessed location services, and the Covid Tracker Ireland app does not appear in that list. Both Apple and Google have prohibited the public health apps from accessing GPS data, and have built in safeguards to stop tracing apps using the exposure notification services from inferring your location, through random IDs that are regularly rotated.
It seems to me that Apple and Google assure us that the state (HSE) is prohibited from accessing your location data.
But they require full access to all the data themselves, otherwise the app won't work. Their Exposure Notification Service must be given full permission to mine your data.
It makes me wonder why the HSE paid €850,000 for this to the Waterford company. If the idea was to avoid Google/Apple from mining all the personal data, it does not seem to have succeeded.

raetsel

There's nothing quite like a new app designed by George Soros's lizardmen working in Apple to put the fear of Thor in our resident conspiraloons. :)

alaimacerc

It seems to me that Apple and Google assure us that the state (HSE) is prohibited from accessing your location data.
But they require full access to all the data themselves, otherwise the app won't work. Their Exposure Notification Service must be given full permission to mine your data.
Nope, incorrect on both. (Assuming that "your location" and "mine your data" are separate conspiracy lemmata here.) Do the concepts of "decentralised" and "proximity based" ring a bell somewhere? Of course, if you're just going to pass lightly over how the app actually works -- and it's open-source software, so you don't have to take the HSE's word on that -- and assume they Apple and Google routinely and casually lie about what their phone infrastructure actually does... why are you trusting them in the first place to have one of those phones in the first place? Your iPhone wasn't secretly stealing your data before, but after it installed an HSE app, it suddenly was? Not sure I follow even the internal logic of that one.

It makes me wonder why the HSE paid €850,000 for this to the Waterford company. If the idea was to avoid Google/Apple from mining all the personal data, it does not seem to have succeeded.
I'm not sure they had an immediate alternative on that. I'm not aware of any generic, global tracker app. There was talk of an EU-wide one, but that doesn't seem to have happened. Mind you, either of those would just give more conspiracy fodder. OMG GLOBALISTS/EUROFEDS, etc, etc.

greencharade

Nope, incorrect on both. (Assuming that "your location" and "mine your data" are separate conspiracy lemmata here.) Do the concepts of "decentralised" and "proximity based" ring a bell somewhere? Of course, if you're just going to pass lightly over how the app actually works -- and it's open-source software, so you don't have to take the HSE's word on that -- and assume they Apple and Google routinely and casually lie about what their phone infrastructure actually does... why are you trusting them in the first place to have one of those phones in the first place? Your iPhone wasn't secretly stealing your data before, but after it installed an HSE app, it suddenly was? Not sure I follow even the internal logic of that one.
On later Android, I understand that the requirement of the Covid tracker app to enable Bluetooth means that location services are enabled. Now while this app may not actually use that location data, other apps will be happily sucking it up. For example, the built-in Google Maps.

Another consideration is that having bluetooth enabled all the time provides another surface for malware/hacking.

greencharade

Decided not to download this app after reading the details. It's crazy when people text me download this docking app without checking the minute details.
It's quite possible, that given the prevalence of confirmed Covid19 cases in the country, that this app won't see a case for a long time!

New Threads

Most Replies

Top Bottom