Cow farts are threat to climate

GDPR

Why pick on cows: you should be guilty the next time you discretely push one into the cushion (and try not to sit with straight back and slightly sideways: that's a dead giveaway and could result in you being executed by John Gormley)
There's nothing as contemptible as a cowardly, sneaking, low-down, half-assed, timid fart.

We don't call it "guts" for nothing.

You should have the courage to display 'em in all their glorious variety.

Loud 'n' proud.

Neilob

There's nothing as contemptible as a cowardly, sneaking, low-down, half-assed, timid fart.

Loud 'n' proud.
I dunno, if they're going to be taxed by Brussels it's better to be careful. Ah heck, I'd happily fart in the general direction of cheese eating surrender monkeys and sausage eating Prussians any day!

GDPR

I dunno, if they're going to be taxed by Brussels it's better to be careful. Ah heck, I'd happily fart in the general direction of cheese eating surrender monkeys and sausage eating Prussians any day!
It's not a life-stye choice for me.

I Was Born This Way.

GDPR

Well, take that wise and well known advice on board: just don't bend over to pick up the soap and you'll be fine
I'm well-known for dropping soap casually.

When there's a decent prospect in sight.

You have to get your timing right though.

Practice, practice, practice.

che schifo

Loud 'n' proud.
With my lentil heavy diet the last two weeks, there's been nothing timid about the morning tunes I've been playing on the botty bugle. I'm sure they've been loud enough to wake half the street; what you might call an urban cockerel.

raspberry tea

What should we do to prevent this. Should we be feeding the cows with something else?

Read this mind blowing article here Cow Farts: Global warmers or a load of hot air? | SHOW ME
Yep cow farts are pure methane(ch4 gas) another greenhouse gas,if you ask is it the cows fault or the humans fault - its obviously ours,as we have an insatiable appetite for beef,we need to become vegitarian/vegan to save the earth,respect for animals,not to farm,exploit or use animals for fur and entertainment,they are beings in their own right,we are a pest also,we are responsible for human overpopulation,no other animal overpopulates the earth and pollutes the earth like humans do,animals are not the pest we are!Once we start to respect and observe the natural order of things in our world,and the important many animal species and plant species play in our eco system,we will begin to see the light and we will be half way there to fighting climate change.
The first world have to educate the third world and developing world(and look at our own consumption) - and more importantly reign china in and india in as they are responsible for a lot of greenhouse gases....

Last edited:

Roll_On

Antibiotics are becoming ineffective, the Human population will be corrected by nature shortly. The booming populations of Asia and Africa will be first to go due to poor sanitation. Regarding beef, we can easily reduce the problem with different feeding practice or with some sort of capture-store-burn system.

gandyalf

I'm pretty sure, not certain, that I read an article that maintained that the dinosaurs had already (posibly) farted themselves out of existence anyway, shortly before the asteroid struck.
Either way, asteroids and methane don't mix...
...well they do but you'd be well advised not to be in, and/or around...

Mad as Fish

Just a small point but has anybody pointed out that the greater part of the methane produced by cows is by belching rather than farting? I know I know, its much more boring than talking about rude things but that's the way it is.

gandyalf

Just a small point but has anybody pointed out that the greater part of the methane produced by cows is by belching rather than farting? I know I know, its much more boring than talking about rude things but that's the way it is.
Methane (CH4) is a greenhouse gas not to be taken likely.
In my humble opinion, the IPCC have taken CH4 emissions and concentrations likely.
Just my tupence worth.
There's more to CH4 than farting mamalia.

Truth.ie

Watching a documentary on Discovery recently and it was suggested cows produce more greenhouse gases than all the cars of the world?
There are around 1.5 billion of them.
As a result, I've decided to seriously cut back on beef and red meat in general, if not try to stop completely.
Not just for their farts, but also for the amount of forestry and woodland destroyed for cattle grazing.

Mad as Fish

Methane (CH4) is a greenhouse gas not to be taken likely.
In my humble opinion, the IPCC have taken CH4 emissions and concentrations likely.
Just my tupence worth.
There's more to CH4 than farting mamalia.
I'm not taking it lightly, just trying to introduce a little sobriety and fact into the discussion. It is the microflora/fauna in the rumen that produce methane which in fact represents a waste of the energy fed to the cow. If that energy could be channeled into meat and milk production then it would be to the benefit of all, especially the drugs companies who will earn billions selling selective antibiotics in a bid to modify rumen fermentation. Can't see that going down well in certain quarters!

I can't remember the figures now but methane is in fact far more a greenhouse gas than CO2, the good news being that it quickly breaks down in the atmosphere, the bad news is that one of the products of that decomposition is CO2.

Last edited:

truthisfree

So how much is contributed by human farts....seriously....surely as much or more than cows.

Alphonse

I dont think what you feed them will make a diffrence eating less or even no meat might be a good idea. Also most of the land in Ireland is given over to agriculture which I respect but I would like to see more areas for wildlife.

Mad as Fish

I dont think what you feed them will make a diffrence eating less or even no meat might be a good idea. Also most of the land in Ireland is given over to agriculture which I respect but I would like to see more areas for wildlife.
We need to farm land to feed an ever growing population and growing animals on land that may otherwise be unsuitable for tillage crops is one way of ensuring land is put to use.

Dearghoul

We need to farm land to feed an ever growing population and growing animals on land that may otherwise be unsuitable for tillage crops is one way of ensuring land is put to use.
Or take steps to reduce the (human) population?

Mad as Fish

Or take steps to reduce the (human) population?
We are in western Europe, or we have stabilised indigenous population growth, and that has come about by industrialisation and education, the problem lies in less developed societies and its unlikely to be solved overnight.

New Threads

Popular Threads

Most Replies