Cowen admits to drug taking: TV3

Coles

Fair play to him for raising the issue of cannabis use. Strange timing though...

HanleyS

morrissey said:
Eight days before an election and Biffo throws this into the mix.
He is of course hoping that Kenny makes a big deal out of it.

The Fine Gael core will have a huge problem with this. I would have thought that Fianna Fail core vote would too.

If it's the youth vote he's after then why the Thursday election?

CJH

barthez said:
CJH said:
barthez said:
If this is true then Cowen committed a crime. But then again he is a member of Fianna Fail.
Both of those sentences deserve a :roll:

Yes that seems to be the FF attitude to wrong doing.
You tool. Have you ever broken the law? Ever driven too fast? Maybe taken a p*ss on the street when drunk?

Celbridger

rockofcashel said:
wow.. if he's that angry on the weed, imagine what he'd be like without it.

Not much of an issue at all, but no doubt someone will make a huge thing of it.
So, those who smoke weed are to be tolerated by Sinn Féin?

There's a first. :lol:

morrissey

Paddylecker,
Any member of the drug squad will be able to draw the line for you if you dont understand.

Why do members of the Garda visit schools on a regular basis outlining the dangers of any drug abuse. Can you imagine the answer they will receive "Biffo thinks its OK so what are you talking about"

Typical.. trivialise an important issue with ignorance...

Honesty is what is needed on the drugs issue..and rationality...fools

At the end of the day it is illegal. The way TV3 protrayed it, Cowen was making fun over breaking the law.

It's like saying: yeah I did'nt pay all my tax a few years back, others did'nt aswell but they wont admit to it, but I do and Im proud of it, so there!

He's a Senior Minister in a Government that's policy is to inforce the ban on all illegal substances, yet he is making a joke out of the time he smoked joints.

Phoenix1969

"wow.. if he's that angry on the weed, imagine what he'd be like without it.

Not much of an issue at all, but no doubt someone will make a huge thing of it."

This is a massive issue. Who did Brian Cowen buy the illegal drugs of, John Gilligan? This is a crucial question. Will Brian Cowen give the name of the person who supplied him with the drug?

Is this government serious about tackling gangland violence? or will they continue to turn a blind eye?

barthez

CJH said:
barthez said:
CJH said:
barthez said:
If this is true then Cowen committed a crime. But then again he is a member of Fianna Fail.

You tool. Have you ever broken the law? Ever driven too fast? Maybe taken a p*ss on the street when drunk?
Firstly - if the extent of your debate is to use emoticons or call me a "tool" you probably do not deserve a response. But this is a serious issue.

Cannabis or cocaine - there is no difference in my book. Both drugs are illegal both are sold illegally.

For Cowen or any individual to consume a drug such as cannabis it had to be purchased in an illegal fashion.

The illegal trade of drugs is a scourge of this country. Ask the family of the young plumber shot dead innocently earlier this year. Why because he was in the wrong place at the wrong time.

The cities of this country are battlegrounds for various gangs trying to gain the upper hand in the drugs trade. It is lucrative trade for those involved - but the consequences are innocent lives, gun crime, and the deterioration of society.

So a tool I may be - but I acknowledge my actions have consequences. And every ounce of cannabis bought - is Euros in a drug dealers pocket - which is another bullet in a gun - and possibly another innocent life.

CJH

the-analyst2007 said:
At the end of the day it is illegal. The way TV3 protrayed it, Cowen was making fun over breaking the law.

It's like saying: yeah I did'nt pay all my tax a few years back, others did'nt aswell but they wont admit to it, but I do and Im proud of it, so there!

It's not like that at all. You might as well draw an equivalence between murder and stealing somebody's post from their letter box.

Nothing is achieved in suggesting that politicians should be snow-white angels

Jim84

the-analyst2007 said:

He's a Senior Minister in a Government that's policy is to inforce the ban on all illegal substances, yet he is making a joke out of the time he smoked joints.
Grow up, It was an interview with Hotpress. Smoking a joint is obviously something to condemn, but get real!

If you really wanted to stir trouble, maybe someone should ask Biffo how many bullets worth of hash did he smoke?

But actually smoking a joint isn't going to shock the electorate.

I sat in government buildings with a lot of senior politicians who admitted taking drugs and said they would change the law but were afraid of their voters not understanding and the other side going "drug are bad m'kay"..they admitted it cross party under chatham house rules...cowardice..

CJH

barthez said:
CJH said:
barthez said:
CJH said:
barthez said:

Firstly - if the extent of your debate is to use emoticons or call me a "tool" you probably do not deserve a response. But this is a serious issue.

Cannabis or cocaine - there is no difference in my book. Both drugs are illegal both are sold illegally.

For Cowen or any individual to consume a drug such as cannabis it had to be purchased in an illegal fashion.

The illegal trade of drugs is a scourge of this country. Ask the family of the young plumber shot dead innocently earlier this year. Why because he was in the wrong place at the wrong time.

The cities of this country are battlegrounds for various gangs trying to gain the upper hand in the drugs trade. It is lucrative trade for those involved - but the consequences are innocent lives, gun crime, and the deterioration of society.

So a tool I may be - but I acknowledge my actions have consequences. And every ounce of cannabis bought - is Euros in a drug dealers pocket - which is another bullet in a gun - and possibly another innocent life.
Firstly, have you ever broken any law? The possession of cannabis for personal use is a minor offence.

Secondly, loads of people (including myself) have smoked hash. To suggest that there is no difference between that and cocaine is ludicrous. The gangland murderers argument is a red herring. It's unlikely that Cowen was consorting with John Gilligan and the like to get his joint.

Of course, if you really cared about the connection between has h and criminality, you would support the de-criminalisation of cannabis. But that won't sit neatly with your simplistic "all drugs are evil" outlook

barthez

CJH said:
barthez said:
CJH said:
barthez said:
CJH said:
[quote="barthez":25uh87kb]If this is true then Cowen committed a crime. But then again he is a member of Fianna Fail.

Firstly, have you ever broken any law? The possession of cannabis for personal use is a minor offence.

Secondly, loads of people (including myself) have smoked hash. To suggest that there is no difference between that and cocaine is ludicrous. The gangland murderers argument is a red herring. It's unlikely that Cowen was consorting with John Gilligan and the like to get his joint.

Of course, if you really cared about the connection between has h and criminality, you would support the de-criminalisation of cannabis. But that won't sit neatly with your simplistic "all drugs are evil" outlook[/quote:25uh87kb]

I'll answer your direct question - yes I've broken the law.

Now answer me this which is in the context of this argument unlike the question you asked me.

From whom would one purchase cannabis?

New Threads

Popular Threads

Most Replies