Cowen admits to drug taking: TV3

A_man_about_a_dog

At least one high profile, senior politician has the balls to say something about cannabis. Fair play to Biffo! I just hope that Inda and his law and order brigade don't try to lynch him over it. :wink:

KeithM

Suddenly Cowen appears human, ANYTHING is possible in the campaign!

CJH

barthez said:
CJH said:
barthez said:
CJH said:
barthez said:
[quote="CJH":24ah77z3][quote="barthez":24ah77z3]If this is true then Cowen committed a crime. But then again he is a member of Fianna Fail.
Both of those sentences deserve a :roll:

Yes that seems to be the FF attitude to wrong doing.
You tool. Have you ever broken the law? Ever driven too fast? Maybe taken a p*ss on the street when drunk?
Firstly - if the extent of your debate is to use emoticons or call me a "tool" you probably do not deserve a response. But this is a serious issue.

Cannabis or cocaine - there is no difference in my book. Both drugs are illegal both are sold illegally.

For Cowen or any individual to consume a drug such as cannabis it had to be purchased in an illegal fashion.

The illegal trade of drugs is a scourge of this country. Ask the family of the young plumber shot dead innocently earlier this year. Why because he was in the wrong place at the wrong time.

The cities of this country are battlegrounds for various gangs trying to gain the upper hand in the drugs trade. It is lucrative trade for those involved - but the consequences are innocent lives, gun crime, and the deterioration of society.

So a tool I may be - but I acknowledge my actions have consequences. And every ounce of cannabis bought - is Euros in a drug dealers pocket - which is another bullet in a gun - and possibly another innocent life.
Firstly, have you ever broken any law? The possession of cannabis for personal use is a minor offence.

Secondly, loads of people (including myself) have smoked hash. To suggest that there is no difference between that and cocaine is ludicrous. The gangland murderers argument is a red herring. It's unlikely that Cowen was consorting with John Gilligan and the like to get his joint.

Of course, if you really cared about the connection between has h and criminality, you would support the de-criminalisation of cannabis. But that won't sit neatly with your simplistic "all drugs are evil" outlook[/quote:24ah77z3]

I'll answer your direct question - yes I've broken the law.

Now answer me this which is in the context of this argument unlike the question you asked me.

From whom would one purchase cannabis?[/quote:24ah77z3]

Chances are a friend, who knows a friend, who knows a friend...

Not many gangland criminals would be interested in flogging a quarter of an ounce to some snotty-nosed student

Sidewinder

Boss Croker said:
any mention of alcohol or nicotine?
Well, going by an Ogra conference I was at back in the early 90s, Brian would have no objection to either. Fair play, is this the first senior Irish politician to admit what everyone knows - that pretty much everybody under 40, and a lot of people 40-65, have partaken in something illegal at some point?

If our politicians would just admit in public that "illegal" drugs are everywhere, that nearly everyone has at least tried them once, and that we should have a rational debate on the issue without being afraid of the 70+ blue rinse brigade, then we might actually be able to tackle drug abuse in a rational and sensible manner.

CJH

Sidewinder said:
Boss Croker said:
any mention of alcohol or nicotine?
Well, going by an Ogra conference I was at back in the early 90s, Brian would have no objection to either. Fair play, is this the first senior Irish politician to admit what everyone knows - that pretty much everybody under 40, and a lot of people 40-65, have partaken in something illegal at some point?

If our politicians would just admit in public that "illegal" drugs are everywhere, that nearly everyone has at least tried them once, and that we should have a rational debate on the issue without being afraid of the 70+ blue rinse brigade, then we might actually be able to tackle drug abuse in a rational and sensible manner.
Problem is, you'll have that idiot Grainne Kenny on the radio in the morning, and the rest of the politicians will run a mile.

White Horse

Who did Cowen get the drugs from? Did he financially support people who engage in gangland violence? Have he ever smoked or injected drugs while performing official duties?

These are question Cowen should address.

barthez

CJH said:
barthez said:
CJH said:
barthez said:
CJH said:
[quote="barthez":2ohhf7jr][quote="CJH":2ohhf7jr][quote="barthez":2ohhf7jr]If this is true then Cowen committed a crime. But then again he is a member of Fianna Fail.

You tool. Have you ever broken the law? Ever driven too fast? Maybe taken a p*ss on the street when drunk?
Firstly - if the extent of your debate is to use emoticons or call me a "tool" you probably do not deserve a response. But this is a serious issue.

Cannabis or cocaine - there is no difference in my book. Both drugs are illegal both are sold illegally.

For Cowen or any individual to consume a drug such as cannabis it had to be purchased in an illegal fashion.

The illegal trade of drugs is a scourge of this country. Ask the family of the young plumber shot dead innocently earlier this year. Why because he was in the wrong place at the wrong time.

The cities of this country are battlegrounds for various gangs trying to gain the upper hand in the drugs trade. It is lucrative trade for those involved - but the consequences are innocent lives, gun crime, and the deterioration of society.

So a tool I may be - but I acknowledge my actions have consequences. And every ounce of cannabis bought - is Euros in a drug dealers pocket - which is another bullet in a gun - and possibly another innocent life.
Firstly, have you ever broken any law? The possession of cannabis for personal use is a minor offence.

Secondly, loads of people (including myself) have smoked hash. To suggest that there is no difference between that and cocaine is ludicrous. The gangland murderers argument is a red herring. It's unlikely that Cowen was consorting with John Gilligan and the like to get his joint.

Of course, if you really cared about the connection between has h and criminality, you would support the de-criminalisation of cannabis. But that won't sit neatly with your simplistic "all drugs are evil" outlook[/quote:2ohhf7jr]

Now answer me this which is in the context of this argument unlike the question you asked me.

From whom would one purchase cannabis?[/quote:2ohhf7jr]

Not many gangland criminals would be interested in flogging a quarter of an ounce to some snotty-nosed student[/quote:2ohhf7jr]

Do you believe this is wrong? Yes or no will suffice.

Jim84

Sidewinder said:
Eoin Ryan admitted it years ago and so did a few other politicians. It's a standard question when doing a Hot Press interview.

CJH

barthez said:
CJH said:
barthez said:
CJH said:
barthez said:
[quote="CJH":3tu45mrl][quote="barthez":3tu45mrl][quote="CJH":3tu45mrl][quote="barthez":3tu45mrl]If this is true then Cowen committed a crime. But then again he is a member of Fianna Fail.

Of course, if you really cared about the connection between has h and criminality, you would support the de-criminalisation of cannabis. But that won't sit neatly with your simplistic "all drugs are evil" outlook[/quote:3tu45mrl]

From whom would one purchase cannabis?[/quote:3tu45mrl]

Not many gangland criminals would be interested in flogging a quarter of an ounce to some snotty-nosed student[/quote:3tu45mrl]

Do you believe this is wrong? Yes or no will suffice.[/quote:3tu45mrl]

No. I don't think cannabis should be criminalised. And I strongly disagree with Mary Harney's decision to ban magic mushrooms

CJH

Jim84 said:
Sidewinder said:
Eoin Ryan admitted it years ago and so did a few other politicians. It's a standard question when doing a Hot Press interview.
He did, and he made some vague suggestion about decriminalisation. Of course the tabloids jumped on him, and that was the end of it. We couldn't have having a mature and reasonable discussion about this topic. No sirree, that wouldn't do at all

rockofcashel

Website
www.sinnfein.ie
Biffo said:
Catalpa said:
They say smoking helps you lose weight - go for it Brian... :wink:
Not if you eat 17 packets of crisps afterterwards.
Been down the local 24 hour garage at strange hours have we :wink:

Tis a whore getting so many bags through that little push me pull me thingy that you have to put the money into

(remember reading a story once, about a fella trying to get a bag of coal through one of them.. now that would have been funny)

barthez

The question I'm asking is about the process we were speaking about i.e. the purchase from a friend who knows a friend which you referred to. Do you believe this is wrong - yes/no?

CJH

barthez said:
The question I'm asking is about the process we were speaking about i.e. the purchase from a friend who knows a friend which you referred to. Do you believe this is wrong - yes/no?
Well given that I don't think there's anything wrong per se with people smoking cannabis, and given it is currently illegal, how else is someone going to get it? In the 1920s, the only way Americans could get alcohol was indirectly through criminals. I'm sure many law-abiding people weren't happy about that, but they were given no other alternative.

Legalise the stuff, and then there won't be a problem. Plus, the revenue will make a nice little earner from it. And I predict that in the long run, useage will decline, as the whole excitement of doing something illegal which entices many young people will no longer be present

jjcarroll

Website
www.semper-idem.eu
Legalise the stuff, and then there won't be a problem
Most specifically, regulate it.

Make certain types of cannabis legal with the THC content kept under control.

And then crucify those who posses non-regulated cannabis. The real problems of cannabis in recent years have emerged because of THC content, which will not be rectified without legalisation and regulation.

If people are concerned about mental health issues and cannabis, the only workable counter to it, is legalise and regulate. Unfortunately, as CJH points out, we have a ever so slightly reactionary political climate on this issue.

barthez

CJH said:
barthez said:
Well given that I don't think there's anything wrong per se with people smoking cannabis, and given it is currently illegal, how else is someone going to get it? In the 1920s, the only way Americans could get alcohol was indirectly through criminals. I'm sure many law-abiding people weren't happy about that, but they were given no other alternative.

Legalise the stuff, and then there won't be a problem. Plus, the revenue will make a nice little earner from it. And I predict that in the long run, useage will decline, as the whole excitement of doing something illegal which entices many young people will no longer be present
I don't want to annoy you but just yes or no please.

CJH

jjcarroll said:
Legalise the stuff, and then there won't be a problem
Most specifically, regulate it.

Make certain types of cannabis legal with the THC content kept under control.

And then crucify those who posses non-regulated cannabis. The real problems of cannabis in recent years have emerged because of THC content, which will not be rectified without legalisation and regulation.

If people are concerned about mental health issues and cannabis, the only workable counter to it, is legalise and regulate. Unfortunately, as CJH points out, we have a ever so slightly reactionary political climate on this issue.
I agree with that entirely.

CJH

barthez said:
CJH said:
barthez said:

I don't want to annoy you but just yes or no please.
Well, for the third time, no I don't. It's not an ideal situation by any means, but that's what indiscriminate prohibition has left us with

New Threads

Popular Threads

Most Replies