• Due to a glitch in the old vBulletin software, some users were "banned" when they tried to change their passwords at the end of February. This does not apply after the site was converted to Xenforo. If you were affected by this, please us viua the Contact us link in the footer.

Cowen, and the agenda of even less public accountability

Analyzer

In the last two decades we have seen increasingly less accountability from public institutions and politicians.

Brian Cowen is on a public pension of an astromical scale, despite massively failing as a Minister for Finance, and as Taoiseach.

Now, we are being told that Cowen will lodge a complaint against the Press Ombudsman concerning his post graduate studies in California.

Cowen privacy case may open floodgates for the fallen elite - National News - Independent.ie

We already have a greatly constrained press in this country. It is beholden to vested interests. Even more alarmingly, it can spend long times witholding news, at the behest of vested interests, in such a manner as to prevent the people knowing about the scams that predominate in Irish life. I am talking about scams like the property boom, Eircom Shares, bank shares, buyign property abroad, etc...

Often the Irish media only publishes information on the scandals that occur, when they have been completed, and reporting is necessary to help the media save it's crediblity - but so as not to endanger the beneficiaries.

We need more accountability, more public information, and not less. And we need it to happen faster. This is about the public interest, and not about the interest of the gombeen element in Irish society.

We are heading down the road where even more gombeenism will be rife in this country, in an even mroe fearless, and brazen manner than before. And that is saying something.

Do you want this country to be an honest country ?

Catalpast

Surprised there is not more comment on this one already

Cowen is getting 150,000 euros of OUR money

So I think what he does with it is our business!

Last edited:

tigerben

So he wants to be a private person on a huge public pension, paid for by taxpayers out of current expenditure as all are , I think now are paid. If he wants to be private, I hope he had no phone, office or staff allowance, driver or gardai outside his house if he is crying out his a private citizen!

Bobcolebrooke

In the last two decades we have seen increasingly less accountability from public institutions and politicians.

Brian Cowen is on a public pension of an astromical scale, despite massively failing as a Minister for Finance, and as Taoiseach.

Now, we are being told that Cowen will lodge a complaint against the Press Ombudsman concerning his post graduate studies in California.

Cowen privacy case may open floodgates for the fallen elite - National News - Independent.ie

We already have a greatly constrained press in this country. It is beholden to vested interests. Even more alarmingly, it can spend long times witholding news, at the behest of vested interests, in such a manner as to prevent the people knowing about the scams that predominate in Irish life. I am talking about scams like the property boom, Eircom Shares, bank shares, buyign property abroad, etc...

Often the Irish media only publishes information on the scandals that occur, when they have been completed, and reporting is necessary to help the media save it's crediblity - but so as not to endanger the beneficiaries.

We need more accountability, more public information, and not less. And we need it to happen faster. This is about the public interest, and not about the interest of the gombeen element in Irish society.

We are heading down the road where even more gombeenism will be rife in this country, in an even mroe fearless, and brazen manner than before. And that is saying something.

Do you want this country to be an honest country ?
One of the best holds we have over politicians is their aspiration to earn a place in history and leave a well regarded reputation behind them. Most politicians have big egos.

Unfortunately Mr Cowen's ego was much bigger than his ability as a Minister or Taoiseach. The least we are entitled to do with politicians is to judge them on the basis of truthful facts.

All of a politician's life is very much our business !

Sister Mercedes

The photos and interview were at Stanford University. I can't imagine that there are "privacy" laws in California that would protect him from the press, especially as he would be considered a public figure.

skiii

So,nothing has changed. All Cowan ever had to offer was a surly sense of entitlement. But,on the plus side- thank God he's gone.The drinks were never on him.

sic transit

I actually think he has a point in relation to the course last year, No-one's business except his and it has no news benefit other than to sate our continuing obsession with finding people to blame.

Radix

Didn't Brian 'I intend doing more early morning interviews' Cowen court publicity all his paid public life. As long as he keeps taking public money, then part of him still belongs to the public.

Anyway why doesn't he go after Conor Casby for showing pictures of him that never even existed.

(Put up a link Analyzer; am on the dog and bone here).

Bobcolebrooke

So I think what he does with is our business!
Megabucks pensions foe ex-Taoiseach - Irish Daily Star | Irish Daily Star

How are Cowen and Ahern on pensions entitlements of over 150K a year for doing nothing?
Mind you we would have been cheaper giving them 150K a year for the last 15 years than having them in Government!
How do they get more than 75% of Kennys salary for doing nothing?

deepness

I actually think he has a point in relation to the course last year, No-one's business except his and it has no news benefit other than to sate our continuing obsession with finding people to blame.
To be fair, are people who are paying the price not entitled to know who is to blame?

sic transit

So he wants to be a private person on a huge public pension, paid for by taxpayers out of current expenditure as all are , I think now are paid. If he wants to be private, I hope he had no phone, office or staff allowance, driver or gardai outside his house if he is crying out his a private citizen!
Alleged priinciples need to be consistent, this is just because of who he is and the fact that his pension appals us. Everyone in the country who gets a a pension gets paid by the state so they should get the same scrutiny.

So I think what he does with is our business!
LIke it or not, it's HIS money.

The fact that the taxpayer pays it is neither here nor their. Do you say the same when you pay for any other service?

I use the word "service" with some reluctance in the case of Cowen, but the fact remains that the state contracted with him to pay him a pension and that's the way it is.

Bobcolebrooke

LIke it or not, it's HIS money.

The fact that the taxpayer pays it is neither here nor their. Do you say the same when you pay for any other service?

I use the word "service" with some reluctance in the case of Cowen, but the fact remains that the state contracted with him to pay him a pension and that's the way it is.
Can we not reduce his pension?

sic transit

To be fair, are people who are paying the price not entitled to know who is to blame?
It largely serves no purpose save giving scope to vent. He may have been inept but we'd have very full jails if that was the measure of a crime.

sic transit

Asparagus

It largely serves no purpose save giving scope to vent. He may have been inept but we'd have very full jails if that was the measure of a crime.
Ineptitude is irrelevant - he authored the economic collapse of the country.

He was deemed competant first by a shower of offaly yokels and then by a party of yahoos.

sic transit

Ineptitude is irrelevant - he authored the economic collapse of the country.

He was deemed competant first by a shower of offaly yokels and then by a party of yahoos.
So find a crime to actually get him convicted on. Anything less is just an abuse of due process. I wouldn't pin all of it on him. No-one from any political quarter ever jumped up and down about the lunacy of depending on stamp duty nor put forward the type of tax base widening we are due to start this year.

Shannon73

If he defrauded those running the course then the story would be newsworthy. Otherwise it is a newspaper trying to sell copies. It is not up to the public to decide how he spends his money -even if he wastes it gambling; it's his. We can hardly presume that every state pensioner did a super job while working; he's not alone.

Popular Threads

Most Replies