• Due to a glitch in the old vBulletin software, some users were "banned" when they tried to change their passwords at the end of February. This does not apply after the site was converted to Xenforo. If you were affected by this, please us viua the Contact us link in the footer.

Cowen confirms tax hikes will be part of Budget

Ulster-Lad

The Taoiseach Brian Cowen has given the clearest signal yet that tax hikes are on the way in December's Budget.

Mr Cowen said the international markets have to be convinced by the four-year Budget strategy that Ireland is willing to deal with fixing the public finances.

There is currently a €18bn difference between income and expenditure by the Government.

The Taoiseach said tax hikes will have to be part of the solution.

Mr Cowen said: "We have to come forward with a four-year framework to reduce the gap considerably through growth in the economy, tax increases and expenditure cuts."
Cowen confirms tax hikes will be part of Budget | BreakingNews.ie

Does he realise you can't get blood out of a turnip? He is placating to the international markets.

The little man will be made pay for their mistakes unless the little man stand s up for himself.

deepness

Me and a load of people i know are barely hanging on as it is. Another 100quid a month off me in this budget and i might as well give up.

Australia is looking good right now...and i have a job but its just not worth it anymore.

antsrathcam

Does he realise you can't get blood out of a turnip? He is placating to the international markets.
Ermm....that's because owe them billions of euro. And need to borrow more. What do you suggests he does to the international markets? Wind them up??

Blood out of a turnip? How about a few quid out of the multi-millionaires who have sold land to developers and the NRA this past ten years?

All those billions. They haven't gone away, you know.

libertarian-right

All those billions. They haven't gone away, you know.
Even if you did trample and suck these guys dry, its not a tap where you can suck billions out every year. We need at least 20 billion a year for the deficit.

Explain to me why even with the introduction of the income levies and even doubling them, income tax is still going down?

Expatriot

If this was Sim City, the city would empty after this budget.
If this was Sim city I would be wonder why somebody decided to play such a hard game while tired and emotional.

fizzgig

I've already started scouting out a cave up the mountains, some work on it over the autumn and it should be ready for habitation Dec 7th. It's about all I'll be able to afford after the budget.

HarshBuzz

Explain to me why even with the introduction of the income levies and even doubling them, income tax is still going down?
less people are working and those that are have got reduced incomes?

gayguy2000

Sure why wouldn't they? They might as well hike VAT and income tax up another 10%, none of us are going to do anything about it! Me included! We're just a nation of f**king spineless drunken wasters, and we deserve everything we get.

Ulster-Lad

Blood out of a turnip? How about a few quid out of the multi-millionaires who have sold land to developers and the NRA this past ten years?
and how much have we recouped from Seanie? I think we will see more of the same with the rest.

fizzgig

No we are not. We are just so caught up in a miasma of despair we have become incapable of doing anything.

libertarian-right

less people are working and those that are have got reduced incomes?
That's exactly it.

Less people generating income tax for the government coffers. We have very limited options in terms of taxes. I know too many debt monkeys ready to implode from their credit binge.

HarshBuzz

That's exactly it.

Less people generating income tax for the government coffers. We have very limited options in terms of taxes. I know too many debt monkeys ready to implode from their credit binge.
look on the bright side, if you have a cash pile, you will be able to buy up their assets for half nothing

I'm gonna get me a sauna and a nice Mercedes

Fed Up

Did Lenny not say to Matt Cooper...

"Read my lips, there will be no tax increases"?

dalywise

I've already started scouting out a cave up the mountains, some work on it over the autumn and it should be ready for habitation Dec 7th. It's about all I'll be able to afford after the budget.
Is the budget on December 7th? How appropriate. Yet another December 7th that will be classifed as "a date that shall live in infamy".

grafter1

Did Lenny not say to Matt Cooper...

"Read my lips, there will be no tax increases"?
Lenny also said that €4Bn would be enough to recap Anglo Irish Bank aswell. He also said we had turned the corner in December 2009. He then said we'd have €3Bn of cuts in the 2011 Budget. Need we go on?

grafter1

Is the budget on December 7th? How appropriate. Yet another December 7th that will be classifed as "a date that shall live in infamy".
Will it be Black Tuesday? Dark Tuesday? Bondholders Tuesday?

What will our superb media dream up for this great day?

What are the odds on Lenny commending to the budget to the house or getting great applause frm his drinking buddies in FF?

I can see it now "we have turned the corner. Bond spreads are back under 10% and are narrowing."

New Threads

Popular Threads

Most Replies