Cowen: Driving without a care in the world

Montgomery Brewster

Despite driving for years without a full license, A highly paid member of the government has been given a paultry €200 fine and 3 month ban which he then uses as an excuse to be chauffeured around the gaff whilst charging the state full rate for the privilege?

Explain to me again why the public have no respect for the driving laws in this country....

Sync

Despite driving for years without a full license
This is actually the bigger problem. Every asshole who’s drunk drived (driven?) has a story about how “begorrah it was the first time I’ve ever done this and I’m sooooo soooo sorry”.

He made a conscious decision every day to break the law by driving alone without a full licence. That’s not a one off, it’s not a mistake. It’s a deliberate choice to break the law for years. It’s a resignation matter.

Supra

Is it only me that finds it difficult to get annoyed at FF scandals? I will never be a FF fan but the level shoulder shrugging I'm doing is probably a problem. I'm on here today to try and get annoyed, hopefully it works.

Sync

Is it only me that finds it difficult to get annoyed at FF scandals? I will never be a FF fan but the level shoulder shrugging I'm doing is probably a problem. I'm on here today to try and get annoyed, hopefully it works.
It only really becomes an FF scandal if Martin knew about it or doesn’t take action now.

Otherwise? Meh. Can’t act if you don’t know about it. He Doesn’t (shouldn’t) have Garda access to the record of everyone who works for him.

Expose the lot of them

It only really becomes an FF scandal if Martin knew about it or doesn’t take action now.

Otherwise? Meh. Can’t act if you don’t know about it. He Doesn’t (shouldn’t) have Garda access to the record of everyone who works for him.
The appointment of ministers is akin to recruiting for a high level position in a private sector organisation.

Recruitment at that level entails, questionnaires, intensive in-depth interviews and in sime cases background checks and due diligence.

Recruitment, at any level, where the successful candidate will drive as part of the job, will include questions about current licence and past driving convictions.

If Martin did not know, as he claims, then he bloody well should have.

Last edited:

The OD

FFailures off to the start I fully expected from them. Watch as more comes out, drip by drip.

As for Martin, I simply do not believe his pathetic ''I didn't know'' excuse.

There is an awful lot he claims not to know. Funnily enough its all stuff that he should have known.

Buchaill Dana

FFailures off to the start I fully expected from them. Watch as more comes out, drip by drip.

As for Martin, I simply do not believe his pathetic ''I didn't know'' excuse.

There is an awful lot he claims not to know. Funnily enough its all stuff that he should have known.
I would give Mehole a little slack here. Cowan clearly suppressed the conviction with his mates in the local rag. He was happily claiming milage.

dub14

Stick with it. I was a bit like that on Saturday but my position is hardening to the point that I now think he should jump / be pushed. The bigger issue is the L plate. That's a repeat offence and 2 fingers to the law every day he drove that car. The good old days are back though - something else will come out soon. FF never disappoint.

The question that I think MM must answer is if he knew this stuff beforehand would he have appointed him as a minister. If the answer is no he could go along way toward regaining lost credibility by firing him today.

Supra

Stick with it. I was a bit like that on Saturday but my position is hardening to the point that I now think he should jump / be pushed. The bigger issue is the L plate. That's a repeat offence and 2 fingers to the law every day he drove that car. The good old days are back though - something else will come out soon. FF never disappoint.

The question that I think MM must answer is if he knew this stuff beforehand would he have appointed him as a minister. If the answer is no he could go along way toward regaining lost credibility by firing him today.
he'd have to go to groveling to Dara Calleary then, he'd hate that.

Marcos the black

Are there no internal requirements for a sitting FF TD to bring convictions to their party leader? Surely if not, there should be.
I really can't believe that there was a member of the Dail who was off the road for 3 months, and members of his own party didn't know about it
It literally is unbelievable.

Expose the lot of them

Are there no internal requirements for a sitting FF TD to bring convictions to their party leader? Surely if not, there should be.
I really can't believe that there was a member of the Dail who was off the road for 3 months, and members of his own party didn't know about it
It literally is unbelievable.
Has FG got this rule?

I agree with that it is stretching credibility that it was not general knowledge that he had lost his licence.

How was he getting to and frim tne Daul during that three months?

Marcos the black

Has FG got this rule?

I agree with that it is stretching credibility that it was not general knowledge that he had lost his licence.

I don't know.. but they should have. I would have thought that this would be a automatic requirement for all politicians to be honest.

enuffisenuff

Is there an existing record for the shortest time a minister has been in a job before he's had to leave it?

Uganda

Has FG got this rule?

To be fair to him, if it was general knowledge then when he ran for election it would have been known.

Gin Soaked

Good post above and I think this topic merits a thread of its own.

There is the non payment of debt (need more details on that, as its in the Indo), but the driving on a provisional is an issue if there is clear evidence that he drove without L plates or N plates.

Now, Barry always struck me as a bit of a "man's man". So L and N plates would be a bit of an embarrassment.

But...

Getting the test done is a hassle that denies many people access to work. And we expect people to NOT take a job if they can't drive or afford insurance.

So this is a persistent example of entitlement by someone holding a family seat in the dail. It's a really bad look.

I don't buy that he suddenly decided to learn to drive as a mid life crisis.

MsDaisyC

I'd be more interested to see if he stayed off the road during the 3 month ban. How did he get around to meetings, clinics, funerals, Christmas parties etc. Did he use the considerable expenses he claimed to hire a driver? I'd also like to know when he passed his driving test.

McTell

He's well able to drive a tractor thru the occasional floods down his way, what more do you need?

New Threads

Most Replies

Top Bottom