Cowen: Driving without a care in the world

AhNowStop

Leo said he'd support a C&S with FF before polling day. What we have now is merely an expansion of that in terms of influence.

Anyone who voted for FF or FG thinking a coalition was impossible was a moron. Like voting LAB pre 2020. Lab always had form for coalition. It is an accepted fact.

Only PBP voters can be reasonably assured that their vote is never going to result in forming a govt.

And SF are just p1ssed that they left so many quotas on the pitch in Feb.

I dont think they credibly thought they would be in play for govt this time, but were p1ssed that MM held on and kept them out.

(To be fair, a FG SF govt would be great TV but PTSD for whoever was govt whip)
I honestly dont think SF are p1ssed at all ... I think, as you've also alluded to, that they've got the best possible outcome considering the current climate .. i.e. Opposition

the fall out of all this aint going to be pretty

AhNowStop

Er....wouldn't SF taking their seats require an oath to a certain monarch whose structure of state and it's presence on this island would be the de facto reason that SF exist to oppose it in the first place?

Are there people outside the small circle of loons held behind the Belgian paywall that seriously would even dare to argue that SF should take the oath...if there are, it's hilarious in a seriously demented fashion.
Yep, you would think people would rather not look so silly but alas they still trot it out when they think it might help their argument .. it never does but still :confused:

Gin Soaked

I honestly dont think SF are p1ssed at all ... I think, as you've also alluded to, that they've got the best possible outcome considering the current climate .. i.e. Opposition

the fall out of all this aint going to be pretty
Fair point, they probably left 7 seats on the pitch, but that would probably NOT have been at the expense of FG or FF.

The greens will fare worse next time, in part down to "transfer left" exclusions...

So even if SF went big ballsey last time, they'd still be in opposition.

We would, however, be spared a few indos... and possibly the odd trot.

hiding behind a poster

Your attempted equivocation between the two situations is extremely silly .. fer feck sake even other FGers are pointing that out...

SF run on a ticket of not voting in the HoC .. and if they did turn up & vote it would have been counterproductive to what they wanted..

FG on the other hand went back on what they promised their voters and put FF back into government

Rocket science it aint :rolleyes:
For the umpteenth time, I repeat that you are missing the point. If I as a FG voter bear responsibility for the actions or otherwise of FG TDs (and let's not forget, that's what YOU said), then you as a SF voter bear responsibility for the failure by SF MPs to take action which would have either stopped Brexit or forced a second referendum. If you want to call that silly, then bear in mind that you're therefore calling your very own logic silly.

Splodge

For the umpteenth time, I repeat that you are missing the point. If I as a FG voter bear responsibility for the actions or otherwise of FG TDs (and let's not forget, that's what YOU said), then you as a SF voter bear responsibility for the failure by SF MPs to take action which would have either stopped Brexit or forced a second referendum. If you want to call that silly, then bear in mind that you're therefore calling your very own logic silly.
No one with an ounce of sense thinks that SF MPs could’ve changed the brexit vote in the HOC. Could you imagine the reaction to them taking their seats for one from the Brits.

Gin Soaked

I don’t think they can just turn up in the middle of a parliament term.

Think you have to claim your seat by a defined date or your abstention is for the period of that parliament.

So they could have looked like utter tits if they had turned up.

This was explained to me a few years back.

Basically SF are involuntary abstentionists at this stage, and a GE won't reset it for reasons Ah now stated earlier.

Mind you, he is wrong on the realpolitik of FG betraying voters by the FF coalition. No FG voter is that deluded.

AhNowStop

Fair point, they probably left 7 seats on the pitch, but that would probably NOT have been at the expense of FG or FF.

The greens will fare worse next time, in part down to "transfer left" exclusions...

So even if SF went big ballsey last time, they'd still be in opposition.

We would, however, be spared a few indos... and possibly the odd trot.
Yep .. it may have allowed them to talk a bit louder but it may even have made things a tad more uncomfortable for them .... I think they landed just right for the, as it turns out, optimum position of .. opposition.

AhNowStop

Jaysus :rolleyes: ..... I wonder would a diagram help :oops::confused:

Last edited:

AhNowStop

No one with an ounce of sense thinks that SF MPs could’ve changed the brexit vote in the HOC. Could you imagine the reaction to them taking their seats for one from the Brits.
I keep telling him this and I'd say he probably knows fine well but alas it doesn't suit his agenda ... So he "pretends" that SF turning up at the HoC to vote would have saved the day :rolleyes: .. aye righteo :confused:

Last edited:

Gin Soaked

Yep .. it may have allowed them to talk a bit louder but it may even have made things a tad more uncomfortable for them .... I think they landed just right for the, as it turns out, optimum position of .. opposition.
I'd say Leo is envious of MLM. FF are not match fit and FG need an off season...

AhNowStop

I'd say Leo is envious of MLM. FF are not match fit and FG need an off season...
lol ... I'd say he is a bit all right but the draw of power was simply too strong not only for him but for the party ...

Gin Soaked

lol ... I'd say he is a bit all right but the draw of power was simply too strong not only for him but for the party ...
I'd say it was the fear of another election versus the "two cheeks of the same arse" arguement with respect to FF.

Ditto FF and greens.

Precipitating a GE because you wouldn't talk to SF in the middle of a pandemic would have been a bad look.

As would have been being first to talk to SF.

Don't really think FG wanted this. And MM couldn't be the only non FF leader to be Taoiseach.

AhNowStop

I'd say it was the fear of another election versus the "two cheeks of the same arse" arguement with respect to FF.

Ditto FF and greens.

Precipitating a GE because you wouldn't talk to SF in the middle of a pandemic would have been a bad look.

As would have been being first to talk to SF.

Don't really think FG wanted this. And MM couldn't be the only non FF leader to be Taoiseach.
The pandemic has more than a little saved Leos blushes ...
And yeah, toxic Meehole had one thing he craved and one thing only ,... the big chair is now more of a "relief" to him than anything else .. pity for him he's getting it at exactly the worst possible time .. pity for everyone else too of course.

Gin Soaked

And yeah, toxic Meehole had one thing he craved and one thing only ,... the big chair is now more of a "relief" to him than anything else .. pity for him he's getting it at exactly the worst possible time .. pity for everyone else too of course.
The govt partners are clearly not cohesive and have no "screening" for "un-forced errors" .

Walking through the easily foreseeable consequences is elementary.

Had they merely cut off PUP for people relocating, no one would object.

Had they not changed the rule re 2 weeks holidays & dole, and treated PUP the same, with a cut off if no notification or justification for travel, AND communicated the hell out of this, that would be fair, if a bit harsh. But there would be little for opposition to bite.

As it is, they have lost moral authority of checks in airports.

Simon's car and pay rises are indefensible.... not even going to start to spin that turd...

culmore

with all the spin doctors and advisors this Government has they are performing very bad on all fronts, makes you wonder if they would be better off without any of these expensive helpers and just used Common Sense,

AhNowStop

The govt partners are clearly not cohesive and have no "screening" for "un-forced errors" .

Walking through the easily foreseeable consequences is elementary.

Had they merely cut off PUP for people relocating, no one would object.

Had they not changed the rule re 2 weeks holidays & dole, and treated PUP the same, with a cut off if no notification or justification for travel, AND communicated the hell out of this, that would be fair, if a bit harsh. But there would be little for opposition to bite.

As it is, they have lost moral authority of checks in airports.

Simon's car and pay rises are indefensible.... not even going to start to spin that turd...
The pay rises are just incredible ... I mean wtf were they thinking .... it really is hard to comprehend

AhNowStop

It was an incredibly ill-judged act of indifferent entitlement.
Incredulous .... it’s like a dog that keeps p1ssing on your leg no matter how many times you shoo it away ...
I guess this particular dog just needs a good hard kick in the stones

carlovian

New Threads

Most Replies

Top Bottom