Cowen: Driving without a care in the world

SuirView

You ask everyone about their voting preferences. I'd answer, only you're not fit to judge my preferences and answering might lead you to believe I think otherwise. But do feel free to keep asking. It amuses me.

If I continued to post on the price of rice in Honduras I'd be a one trick pony like you. And we both know that that's not the case. I'd never want to take the title of chief parrot from you too. Cause that'd be shameful.

Let's talk about the the price of integrity in Irish politics instead. Or what makes you hot for FG? Is it the forbidden love angle? Or maybe the greens and town bicycles? Baeshtiality politics.

Maybe if I posted a picture of a brown envelope. Would that cheer you up?

You know it would! Haha.
HaHa,
You're ashamed of your own voting preference and it amuses you!
That's a first,
I wasn't expecting that!

Ok,
Let's discuss "the price of integrity in Irish politics instead".
Your idea,
You lead the way.
I wonder what party you believe to have most integrity in Irish politics?
This will be good!

Seán E. Ryan

HaHa,
You're ashamed of your own voting preference and it amuses you!
That's a first,
I wasn't expecting that!

Ok,
Let's discuss "the price of integrity in Irish politics instead".
Your idea,
You lead the way.
I wonder what party you believe to have most integrity in Irish politics?
This will be good!
I don't believe any party in Ireland has any integrity that isn't for sale. I think some are worse than others. But three of the four with the least are currently shunning the row. Could ye not have invited the stickies onboard too? That would have been useful and funny too.

How does it feel to see the end in sight?

I was going to post that picture of the envelope. But that'd not be right. FF isn't up to doing business yet. What FF needs is a:
W5869-1-1-5285-1wMI.jpg

Roman Emperor

...Eight people whose only ambition and talent were to keep the people of Ireland poor, hungry, homeless, ignorant, mired in religious bigotry and beholding to anyone who feathered FF's pockets and nest eggs.
I must say you have a very poor grasp of Irish political history.

If Fianna Fail's ambition was to keep Irish people ignorant, why would Lemass have introduced free Secondary education and free school transport.

If Fianna Fail's ambition was to keep Irish people poor, homeless and hungry, then why was Irish Sugar, ESB, Bord na Mona and Aer Lingus established.

SuirView

I don't believe any party in Ireland has any integrity that isn't for sale. I think some are worse than others. But three of the four with the least are currently shunning the row. Could ye not have invited the stickies onboard too? That would have been useful and funny too.

How does it feel to see the end in sight?

I was going to post that picture of the envelope. But that'd not be right. FF isn't up to doing business yet. What FF needs is a: View attachment 26805
HaHa,
You've done it again!
You brought up discussing "the price of integrity in Irish politics".
I agreed and you're ashamed to respond.

For the second time,
What party do you believe has the highest integrity in Irish politics?
Relax, no pressure!

offalypat

HaHa,
Have to laugh at this rubbish about talent.
Eight FF Leaders, each one went on to become Taoiseach.
What a strike rate, 100%!
Read it and weep.

Your beloved Adams was leader for nearly 35 years.
He never once held talks regarding forming a government in the 26!
What a guy,
What a legacy!
if Gerry Adams and any of the previous fianna fail leaders were lined up in o connell street in dublin who would the people want to shake the hand of and which one would they know the name of more than any of the rest of them?

Gin Soaked

if Gerry Adams and any of the previous fianna fail leaders were lined up in o connell street in dublin who would the people want to shake the hand of and which one would they know the name of more than any of the rest of them?
Every one knows Gerry, and the FF leaders, well, that is down to age and awareness of history.

Merely embracing Gerry shows an ignorance of much of Irish history, and necessitates accepting that Gerry and the IRA's campaign and murders are from a different age.

And that the coercion needed to deliver same is in the past.

The peace process was born from the UK reducing its belligerent treatment of nationalists and paramilitaries on both sides realising that we were sick of them.

FF were consistently benign or positive actors in the pursuit of a peaceful resolution. As were FG, but their optics were often terrible.

The mafiosa behind northern paramilitaries were necessarily left in place to self regulate the peace.

So that is why many here prefer FF and other parties to SF, who still have more than a whiff of mafiosa about them.

The Storey funeral brought all of that back to the fore. Parallels to Charlotsville and other populist shows of strength and impunity.

Round tower

Every one knows Gerry, and the FF leaders, well, that is down to age and awareness of history.

Merely embracing Gerry shows an ignorance of much of Irish history, and necessitates accepting that Gerry and the IRA's campaign and murders are from a different age.

The peace process was born from the UK reducing its belligerent treatment of nationalists and paramilitaries on both sides realising that we were sick of them.

FF were consistently benign or positive actors in the pursuit of a peaceful resolution. As were FG, but their optics were often terrible.

The mafiosa behind northern paramilitaries were necessarily left in place to self regulate the peace.

So that is why many here prefer FF and other parties to SF, who still have more than a whiff of mafiosa about them.

The Storey funeral brought all of that back to the fore. Parallels to Charlotsville and other populist shows of strength and impunity.
They would reconise Dev. Velera, Haughey, Ahearn, Cowan and Martin but it's unlikely that people would reconise Lemass, Lynch, Rynolds.
They would reconise Adams but of the SF frontbench before the last GE, how many would they reconise or even know who their spokespersons was, Mary Lou, Doherty, O Brien and O Reilly

stanley

HaHa,
You've done it again!
You brought up discussing "the price of integrity in Irish politics".
I agreed and you're ashamed to respond.

For the second time,
What party do you believe has the highest integrity in Irish politics?
Relax, no pressure!
It would definitely be FF, they have their own internal interpretation of what "integrity" is and means and by this standard/benchmark they are the tops, once they all believe it, then they have to indoctrinate the great unwashed and non-believers, a lifetime's work, some break for the border and think they are better but like Barry, they get slapped down, MacSharry is another who needs to be continuously slapped down.

Gin Soaked

It would definitely be FF, they have their own internal interpretation of what "integrity" is and means and by this standard/benchmark they are the tops, once they all believe it, then they have to indoctrinate the great unwashed and non-believers, a lifetime's work, some break for the border and think they are better but like Barry, they get slapped down, MacSharry is another who needs to be continuously slapped down.
MacSharry, the father was clued in and competent. Marc, not so much....

offalypat

The younger people are all too aware of the history of the north they can look it up and find out the other side of the story not like our generation that is why i asked who would they shake the hand of first and my money would be on Gerry Adams and i think the rest of them would be left with their hands in their pockets and the Storey funeral is a typical pointer to that. The facts remain that Gerry Adams will be a huge legend in irish history but the fianna fail and finna gael never have had and never will ever have a politian that could lace Gerry Adams boots and that must piss them and you off.

Round tower

The younger people are all too aware of the history of the north they can look it up and find out the other side of the story not like our generation that is why i asked who would they shake the hand of first and my money would be on Gerry Adams and i think the rest of them would be left with their hands in their pockets and the Storey funeral is a typical pointer to that. The facts remain that Gerry Adams will be a huge legend in irish history but the fianna fail and finna gael never have had and never will ever have a politian that could lace Gerry Adams boots and that must piss them and you off.
True that GA will be remembered in Irish history for the bad for his involment in the PIRA inthe North and in the peace process, as for noone in FG could lace his boots, i would not have him in my party as the saying goes " if he was onfire it's not water i would pour on him it's petrol"

Roman Emperor

...The facts remain that Gerry Adams will be a huge legend in irish history but the fianna fail and finna gael never have had and never will ever have a politian that could lace Gerry Adams boots and that must piss them and you off.
I think not.

Great Irish leaders such a Lemass and John A Costelloe will be forever remembered for their substantial political achievements.

When we think of Adams we're reminded of Mrs McConville, the Northern Bank, Garda McCabe, the three Columbian amigos and the motley assortment of criminals who populated the Sinn Fein benches in Dail Eireann.

StormWarning

I think not.

Great Irish leaders such a Lemass and John A Costelloe will be forever remembered for their substantial political achievements.

When we think of Adams we're reminded of Mrs McConville, the Northern Bank, Garda McCabe, the three Columbian amigos and the motley assortment of criminals who populated the Sinn Fein benches in Dail Eireann.
The main difference between Lemass and Adams is that one came reluctantly to accept the partition of our country and the other strove to upend that imperialist imposed status quo which became a sacred cow for many of the Dublin Establishment.

Gin Soaked

The provos and the loyalists were managed into a ceasefire by Hume , Reynolds and Major. Blair and Bertie took up the baton and created the assembly.

After 20 years of this, NI still has a primitive play parliament with power sharing in part because SF consider military style funerals a good idea, especially in a pandemic.

20 years after the end of the civil war, power had peacefully been handed across a few times, we had coalitions and other grown up stuff.

So why should former FF taoiseachs be impressed by someone who had to be bribed to peace and never held a government office?

At least MMG was deputy 1st minister. Gerry was just a blow hard who is afraid to admit he was in the IRA..

offalypat

The provos and the loyalists were managed into a ceasefire by Hume , Reynolds and Major. Blair and Bertie took up the baton and created the assembly.

After 20 years of this, NI still has a primitive play parliament with power sharing in part because SF consider military style funerals a good idea, especially in a pandemic.

20 years after the end of the civil war, power had peacefully been handed across a few times, we had coalitions and other grown up stuff.

So why should former FF taoiseachs be impressed by someone who had to be bribed to peace and never held a government office?

At least MMG was deputy 1st minister. Gerry was just a blow hard who is afraid to admit he was in the IRA..
Without Gerry Adams there would be no peace process. Without Gerry Adams the IRISH in the north would still be treated like rubbish. Without Gerry Adams Sinn Fein would probably not exist and be able to put pressure on the DUP/FIANNA FAIL/FINNA GAEL and that i think is the difference Gerry Adams has made to OUR island and dont forget the provos were caused by British torture and killing of IRISH people in the north and not by Gerry Adams.

Seán E. Ryan

I must say you have a very poor grasp of Irish political history.

If Fianna Fail's ambition was to keep Irish people ignorant, why would Lemass have introduced free Secondary education and free school transport.

If Fianna Fail's ambition was to keep Irish people poor, homeless and hungry, then why was Irish Sugar, ESB, Bord na Mona and Aer Lingus established.
I must say you've a very poor grasp of comprehension itself.

Free secondary education and transport were minimalist investments. At a time when emigration was increasingly becoming the country's only response to poverty and homelessness. Twenty years into this minimalist investment, most people who managed to get a real education, would run, as fast as their little educated legs could carry them, as far away from Ireland as they could get. Not only did this get rid of the extra mouths to feed, the state reckoned, they could plug in, to foreign liquidity, and send some of it flowing this way. That particular trend has increased over time. Showing the minimalist investment attitude and action taken to educate the citizenry wasn't very effective and it wasn't much of an investment. That's without having to even begin to look at the system you're lauding.

Irish Sugar, ESB, Bord na Mona or Aer Liingus didn't solve poverty, homelessness and hunger. Just to let you know. They too, like the example above, were minimalist. Indeed one of them furthered FF's emigration policy.

stanley

and i am sure that any of them wouldnt give a shyte which side of the road you would walk on.
Little nasty side there, AwfullyPat, still bitter over Barry's put down, reckon that's the end of him climbing up the greasy pole of FF, will stay on for the ride in the Dail, easy monies to be picked up for doing SFA, except hit on the local problems, the brudder will sort him out on recovery.

New Threads

Most Replies

Top Bottom