Cowen expected to announce on Tues whether or not he'll contest next General Election

sport02

Apparently with Paddypower his brother Barry is 14 to one on 1/14 to win a seat in Ofally. That says it all really. Bye Bye Biffo.

forgottenliberal

Spot on

Decision could be a big factor in how many FF TDs are returned by Laois-Offaly. i.e the difference between 1 and 2.
I think its curtains for Brian but not for de brudder. Is nt Barry Cowan the name of a famous no hope Brit tennis player turned Sky analyst.

Cotton

The King's Speech

Anyone see the part in the movie where the King dies passing the throne (seat) on to his son who although he's a decent chap who likes to let his hair down a bit, ultimately disgraces both himself and the whole country and is forced to step aside and pass the seat onto his brother?

Deja vue!

Is there a rule in the Fianna Fail party that states only persons of a certain surname and bloodline are premitted to run for a Dáil seat in Co_Offaly? Republican party my eye! Their closet Monarchists every blasted one of them.

Sonny Jim

It is worth noting that following the death of his father Brian Cowen faced a convention, winning the nomination against three councillors. Barry also faced tough competition from a fellow councillor Peter Ormond. Not exactly a coronation.

Cotton

It is worth noting that following the death of his father Brian Cowen faced a convention, winning the nomination against three councillors. Barry also faced tough competition from a fellow councillor Peter Ormond. Not exactly a coronation.

Really? I was led to believe that there was a closing date for nominations and that only four name were put forward, namely Sean Flemming and John Moloney for Laois along with Brian Cowen and John Foley for Offaly. In Offaly Brian Cowen withdrew his name and the Fianna Fail party decided to run only one candidate. That should mean that as the only candidate standing after close of nominations John Foley should have been the Fianna Fail candidate. Please don't try to insult our intelligence by saying that Barry Cowen didn't know his brother was standing down and had no advantage over Peter Ormonde. The newspapers were speculating that Brian Cowen would be standing down "after consulting his family" for two weeks before he announced it and at the same time were stating that Barry Cowen would be standing in his place even though he wasn't even nominated. My sympathy in this situation lies with John Foley, not that I'll be voting for him or any other Fianna Failer, he has been shafted in true Fianna Fail fashion so that the royal bloodline can be continued. What will happen in ten or fifteen years from now when Barry Cowen stands down? I doubt I will be around to find out but its a safe bet that it will be another Cowen.

New Threads

Most Replies

Top Bottom