• It has come to our attention that some users may have been "banned" when they tried to change their passwords after the site was hacked due to a glitch in the old vBulletin software. This would have occurred around the end of February and does not apply after the site was converted to Xenforo. If you believe you were affected by this, please contact a staff member or use the Contact us link at the bottom of any forum page.

Cowen further undermining Irish Economy?

ZANU-FF

Let's watch the next few days in China and see what the fruits of this trip will be.

Here is my prediction:

1. Cowen will cut ribbons for Irish companies warehousing and shipping facilities that will be used for sending goods to us from China that were previously manufactured here in Ireland.

2. Cowen will hold meetings with Chinese Government agents and Manufacturers that will result in increasing their confidence and as a result credit terms offered to Irish Companies doing business in China - An intimation that all companies accompanying him have our States blessing.

Ireland Inc. does not gain from the rise of China - Our Pols. must stop listening to the mantra that has been trotted out from the failed Investment bankers.

junketman

I've often wondered what the purpose of these trips to China actually are and how we gain. I know they must cost about a million each trip in expense to the taxpayer.

But what do we get in return?

CookieMonster

China is one of the largest economies in the world, regardless of what he does on this trip it would be economic madness to think that we can ignore it one way or another either by exporting to or buying from them. Building relations is important for trade in both directions. Also, while China is a huge manufacturing base it's also a huge market for products and produce from here (I believe China is an important market for Irish dairy and agricultural products).
Sure, Cowan could be in China and give away the store, but that's unlikely.

revereie

Well you would take a lot of convincing as you somehow credit the cost as being close to a million for heading out here ! Sheesh ! Do people actually read what they post !?

ZANU-FF

full circle

eventually the Chinese migrant worker will tire of the tough conditions, already manufacturers are facing industrial relation issues, their costs are rising
its true that we can sell our agricultural produce to their increasing fondness for the western diet however we must make sure that we have added maximum value to said product, there is no point in exporting milk powder or cattle on the hoof.
funny how people can only see agriculture as our exports to China, i thought the Septic Tiger had turned its back on Agriculture.

goosebump

Ireland Inc. does not gain from the rise of China - Our Pols. must stop listening to the mantra that has been trotted out from the failed Investment bankers.
My company, which I started with a friend 2 years ago, plans to start selling to the Chinese market within the next 12 months.

CookieMonster

Also, with the rise in transportation costs, the gap between management and manufacturing, the falling standards, lack of patent protection, rising wage costs (although not close to wage costs here), and the looming possibility of undustrial unrest more businesses are beinging their manufacturing back home.
Currently it's mainly smaller businesses but that's likely to roll forward to bigger ones as time passes. Plus the Chinese economy isn't as solid as it's percieved to be.

adrem

My company, which I started with a friend 2 years ago, plans to start selling to the Chinese market within the next 12 months.

Curry chips I hope - my chinese has great curry chips but they're impossible to get in China

ZANU-FF

so

So if you start selling within the next 12 months (36 months after you started up)

1. Will you be requiring State assistance? and
2. Have you been a benefit of State assistance since inception?

As a matter of interest what Industry are you in?

Edo

The small company I work for has sold over 60 million euros worth of Hi Tech industrial nano laser machinery into China in the last 18 months alone.

China buys technology and high grade,Hi cost and highly complicated engineering machinery,capital equipment and solutions from the West and will continue to do so for the next 25 years even tho they are catching up scarily fast on the tech front.

China will be the largest economy in the world in less than a decade - Germany is making a fortune off them and we would be too if we hadnt let our techie industries go to seed and settled for selling houses to each other with foreigners money - this is where the high salaries and added value jobs will be in the future - this is 2nd most vital trade link we should be developing outside our relationship with the rest of Europe - they are the ones with the wealth now.

Sorry OP - you really havent a clue do you? - I know the communist fraternity are currently **** a hoop with the impending end of the world - but we've been here before many times and capitalism ,in whatever form, is extremely hard to extinguish -even in communist China it would appear.

Go back to your ivory tower now like a good chap.

Last edited:

CookieMonster

ZANU-FF

selling your job!

The small company I work for has sold over 60 million euros worth of Hi Tech industrial nano laser machinery into China in the last 18 months alone.

China buys techology and high grade and Hi cost high and complicated engineering machinery,capital equipment and solutions from the West and will continue to do so for the next 25 years even tho they are catching up scarily fast on the tech front.
Are you selling them the equipment that will put yourself out of a job?

the fact that you use the word 'scarily' is demonstrative of your fears.

I hope you were not refering to me as a communist

goosebump

So if you start selling within the next 12 months (36 months after you started up)
We already sell in the UK and Ireland and will be selling in the US within 3 months.

No. We have Private Equity.

No

Entertainment

ZANU-FF

copyright

well the best of luck in that Industry and your dealings with the Chinese

they dont have a translation for certain words from English to Chinese, guess whats number 1 on that list?

COPYRIGHT

whats Copyright?

I wish you luck.

Oppenheimer

Why are your questions relevant? Start a business yourself, get some State aid and possibly create jobs - do you have an objection to people starting businesses leveraging State Aid and creating jobs in Ireland?

Irrespective of the industry and its ability to dodge macro-economic trends by adopting its strategy - your transparent, moronic efforts to pick a fight tell me more about you than any credible argumentation you may put forward related to the OP.

State endorsed trade missions are one initiative I give a lot of credit to Enterprise Ireland for - they have generated mulit-million contracts for Irish businesses whenever and wherever they were carried out.

ZANU-FF

HanleyS Brainfart?

You accuse me of a brainfart?

lets look a the facts, the company you referred to does exactly what I surmised...

Distag Ireland is the longest-established business in the group. The prime operations of the company centre around being the exclusive importers for PIX and POWERDRIVE products in Ireland.

Great another Importer no matter how you package it

now who's brain has farted?

CookieMonster

Are you selling them the equipment that will put yourself out of a job?

the fact that you use the word 'scarily' is demonstrative of your fears.

I hope you were not refering to me as a communist

Everything about China and industry/economy is scary because it is so big. Take for instance the demographic if male smokers in china is the same size as the entire population of the US.

The rest of your posts is nonsesne. I work on a research project, doing... you know... research. Is there any point in me doing it because once it's done I've effectively put myself out of a job by doing the research, there is no more to do, like.

Technology moves fast and I would imagine Edo works for a SME, while in China, as I said above, things are BIG BIG BIG. A small Irish technology company is a lot more flexible and able to move on and develop mew technologies than a large Chinese one is. If the small Irish company do good work, good research and sell necessary technology then it will be bought by the Chinese giant and the circle continues on.

I suspect you, ZANU FF, are an idiot trying to have a go at FF but are way out of your depth.

The OD

China is one of the largest economies in the world, regardless of what he does on this trip it would be economic madness to think that we can ignore it one way or another either by exporting to or buying from them. Building relations is important for trade in both directions. Also, while China is a huge manufacturing base it's also a huge market for products and produce from here (I believe China is an important market for Irish dairy and agricultural products).
Sure, Cowan could be in China and give away the store, but that's unlikely.
He hasnt exactly inspired confidence thus far, so heres hoping your wrong above Cookie.