Cowen Says: No Chance of mass emigration

Asparagus

Ireland not heading for mass emigration -- Cowen - National News, Frontpage - Independent.ie

"We're not going back to those days," Mr Cowen said.

"What we're talking about here is the fact that we have many people who have come to Ireland over the past 10 years, many of whom are also returning home because the job opportunities obviously are no longer there in the numbers that there were.

"And there are also many of our own people who are leaving, some voluntarily, some because we haven't been able to produce enough jobs in the immediate term."

Mr Cowen said 65,000 people left the country this year, while 30,000 came in.
Well Brian, apparently we are......

Last year net emigration 35,000

http://www.cso.ie/releasespublications/documents/population/current/popmig.pdf

Highest net outward migration since the late 1980s
Emigration from Ireland in the twelve months to April 2010 is estimated to have
remained broadly constant at 65,300 while the number of immigrants into Ireland
fell sharply, from 57,300 to 30,800 over the same period. These combined
changes have resulted in an increase in net outward migration from 7,800 in April
2009 to 34,500 in April 2010. This is the highest level of net outward migration
since 1989.
While the level of overall emigration remained constant, emigration among Irish
nationals increased significantly in the year, from 18,400 in April 2009 to 27,700
this year; over the same period emigration of non-Irish nationals fell from 46,800
in April 2009 to 37,600 in April 2010. Nationals of the EU12 States accounted for
the bulk of this decline.

Cato

Completely and utterly cut off from the reality of what's happening. We are governed by fools and knaves...

Asparagus

s'ebbs and flooowss i telsh yes

Simbo67

Jesus I could punch him. I'm here in New York and there is absolutely no way I can return to Ireland, not now and probably not for the next 10 years.

jpc

The Brian Delusion.

controller

We're not going back to those days," Mr Cowen said.
  • Of poorly paid politicians
  • with no Mercs
  • of mixing with poor people
  • of just getting one pension
  • of not appointing our friends to Quangos
  • etc

...........there...........fixed that

Last edited:

Hewson

The only migration I want to see is Brian Rubberlips and the crew of Titanic II making their way to the nearest iceberg in the north Atlantic. Minus the lifeboats.

Cato

With this man in charge why would anyone leave?

Ingersoll

Is that gimp even aware that people might not take his 'insights' at face-value?

sport02

Any critism put forward to either of the two Brians, will of course be responed with
"I DON'T ACCEPT THAT"

Hewson

If Brian Cowen and Brian Lenihan left the country would it qualify as a brian-drain?

smitchy2

Ìt amazes me how many people say they would leave the country if Enda is in charge but have no worries about staying when this baffoon is at the helm.

westkerryblue

He's dead right. The rate of emigration is now far higher than during the eighties. So no we're not going back to the bad old days...We're going to far worse days

flavirostris

Ìt amazes me how many people say they would leave the country if Enda is in charge but have no worries about staying when this baffoon is at the helm.
one good thing about that is that Ray D'Arcy is committed to leaving if EK becomes Taoiseach

beamish2010

Clowen is right this time,unfortunately.

Clowen is right unfortunately this time...Because this time the safety-valve of emigration is not what it was compared to the last recession of the 1980's.

At least in the 1980's recession there was a choice of booming economies abroad in England,the USA and mainland Europe...However in the current recession almost every Western country has mass unemployment.Across the water in Britain the Cameron govt are cutting back on public spending and it's the same story in mainland Europe.

Clowen knows that there will not be any large-scale emigration from Ireland because this time the economic climate is stormy across most the world and there is not the choice of booming economies that there was 20-25 yrs ago...

Goodbody

Jesus I could punch him. I'm here in New York and there is absolutely no way I can return to Ireland, not now and probably not for the next 10 years.
In God's name stay where you are. I came back from LA in March and since then have spent most of the time shaking my head in my hands.

Asparagus

Wait til more and more mortgages get into trouble

defaultmigration

New Threads

Popular Threads

Most Replies