Cowen to face heave after budget, election in Spring - Tribune

Website
www.politics.ie
Twitter
davidcochrane
Tomorrow's Sunday Tribune lead story reports that senior FFers ("not from the dissent wing") believe Cowen is unlikely to lead them into the next General Election, which they believe will take place on Spring.

The Tribune goes on to say that Mary Hanafin is the favored person to succeed Cowen.

spidermom

ARA....god help them...straws and grasping come to mind!!

Goldencircle

Heave against FF after xmas so, buts assuming they get that far

super pedestrian

Normally I'd be against having another unelected Taoiseach foisted upon us by FF, but seeing Hanafin lose her seat whilst being FF leader & Taoiseach (Ban Taoiseach?) would be something I'd take great pleasure in seeing.

Fides

If it happens has to be an interim leader. Whoever gets it will be resigning after the next election.

sport02

Well that is if we let them get that far, arrogant traitors.
There seems to be a mood gathering great pace, to remove these ineptitudes before the end of the year.

jacko

Niamh Connolly has same story in SBP.

Move will come when Dail goes into Christmas break - backbenchers are more difficult to control when away from Leinster House

DCon

If it happens has to be an interim leader. Whoever gets it will be resigning after the next election.
Car for life and Taoiseach pension is a nice bonus though

jmcc

Tomorrow's Sunday Tribune lead story reports that senior FFers ("not from the dissent wing") believe Cowen is unlikely to lead them into the next General Election, which they believe will take place on Spring.

The Tribune goes on to say that Mary Hanafin is the favored person to succeed Cowen.
Wonder if this was just something they picked up from Twitter or P.ie?

Regards...jmcc

SKELLY

strange how this and the other story "we were spoofing" about IMF is coming out this weekend.

Why this weekend?
Surely this will increase the tensions in FF leading up to the budget.
Neither is this good for the outside view of ireland just when the world is looking at us!

rubensni

Are Lowry and Healy Rae cool with this?

Goldencircle

Doubt it will be Hanafin.

Unless FF reckon a female at the top will ease the onslaught other then that meh

snipeandgripe

Why are people so certain that it's going to be politics as usual? Is our social and political system set in stone?

PUFF DADDY

Normally I'd be against having another unelected Taoiseach foisted upon us by FF, but seeing Hanafin lose her seat whilst being FF leader & Taoiseach (Ban Taoiseach?) would be something I'd take great pleasure in seeing.
I like this :D

TonyB

Twitter
technopolitics
What exactly are the Greens doing? Do they have any plan? Or are they happy to simply stand by and let Fianna Fail dictate the exit strategy? If they do, then they are simply stupid, and deserve everything they get.

And - I don't think the budget will pass easily. The IMF are controlling the country now, not the Dail. Therefore, the opposition will feel in voting against the budget as if they are voting against the IMF. That's easier than voting against the country's future, so to speak. With the entire opposition voting against the budget, plus jittery independents, the budget could easily be the rock that this government falls on. And I think the IMF / EU will do everything they can to make that happen, so as to secure a reduction in volatility / uncertainty on the political front.

Final point, should the RedC numbers come through - and dotski suggests that's FG 61, Lab 55, FF 26 - negotiations between FG and Lab will be very difficult. Lab will have to concede the Taoiseach role, or we'll have a rotating Taoiseach thing. 61 seats in the current situation is Kenny-out territory (even though he's won more seats than anyone else!!!) which presumably is a Bruton-in position. Whatever the maths, the point is that an election now does not necessarily reduce volatility.

thegamesup

I don't think we have to wait till then, the opposition could put forward a motion of no confidence in Cowen now.There must be some in FF and Green TDs who could not stomach a confidence vote.Or maybe the opposition don't want them out.

New Threads

Popular Threads

Most Replies