Cowen writes to parties seeking consensus on budget

anewbeginning

Cross party consensus on how best the innocent taxpayer can be best shafted in the interests of helping the developers and bankers out of the little spot they've got themselves in?

No thanks.

Brian Cowen got himself into this mess. And like a child he wants everyone else to get him out.

And I don't care what the markets think. The faster Cowen is removed from office the better for everyone.

One other point I would make though is that the opposition should cut a deal with Gormley.

Get rid of Cowen and we'll support the upcoming budget. There has to be opposition conditions for supporting the budget.

Catalpa

Cross party consensus on how best the innocent taxpayer can be best shafted in the interests of helping the developers and bankers out of the little spot they've got themselves in?

No thanks.

Brian Cowen got himself into this mess. And like a child he wants everyone else to get him out.

And I don't care what the markets think. The faster Cowen is removed from office the better for everyone.

One other point I would make though is that the opposition should cut a deal with Gormley.

Get rid of Cowen and we'll support the upcoming budget.
I doubt the Opposition Parties would fall for this one as basically Biffo is trying to corral them into the Quagmire he has stirred up through his own incompetence & lack of political Leadership.

The last sting of a dying wasp?;)

F.U.B.A.R

windy fooker is just lookin for some extra scapegoats. resign pig boy!!

Last edited:

sport02

Any chance, Cowen would listen to public concensus, and give us a general election.

jmayo

No thanks.

Get rid of Cowen and we'll support the upcoming budget. There has to be opposition conditions for supporting the budget.
This is going to be interesting.
Some people will feel that FG as second biggest party have to try and put national interest first.
Watch over coming days all the media reports about putting country before party.
Watch threads appearing here and elsewhere putting the pressure on for patriotism.

Only thing is FG and Kenny are now having to watch what stroke Labour and Gilmore will pull, ala the pairing arrangement.

This decision for FG will be as much about Labour as about ff.

I can see them all meeting, but I can't see them agreeing.
Also the opposition wisely know they can't trust ff.

And if we suddently see Kenny, Noonan, Gilmore and Burton going abroad after seeing the books, I would request security check if they were carrying lots of cash.

anewbeginning

If the opposition join a "consensus" on the budget they will be shooting themselves in the foot and it will be a major stroke for Clowen.

I can hear the next election debates now, everything the opposition put to Cowen, he will say, "sure yee supported it". And the people's anger will also be transferred to the opposition.

It seems entirely odd that the Regulator lost his job, the Central Bank head lost his job and most of the banking heads lost their job. But the man who was as much to blame as any of them is still there. It's time Cowen lost his job too.

sport02

If the opposition join a "consensus" on the budget they will be shooting themselves in the foot and it will be a major stroke for Clowen.

I can hear the next election debates now, everything the opposition put to Cowen, he will say, "sure yee supported it". And the people's anger will also be transferred to the opposition.

It seems entirely odd that the Regulator lost his job, the Central Bank head lost his job and most of the banking heads lost their job. But the man who was as much to blame as any of them is still there. It's time Cowen lost his job too.

Agree, the opossition parties, have to stay firm, otherwise they will be brought into this whole FF/Green charade, come the debating before the next general election.

Bobert

Wasn't he saying it was neither practical nor desired all week?

anewbeginning

This is going to be interesting.
Some people will feel that FG as second biggest party have to try and put national interest first.
Watch over coming days all the media reports about putting country before party.
Watch threads appearing here and elsewhere putting the pressure on for patriotism.

Only thing is FG and Kenny are now having to watch what stroke Labour and Gilmore will pull, ala the pairing arrangement.

This decision for FG will be as much about Labour as about ff.

I can see them all meeting, but I can't see them agreeing.
Also the opposition wisely know they can't trust ff.

And if we suddently see Kenny, Noonan, Gilmore and Burton going abroad after seeing the books, I would request security check if they were carrying lots of cash.
See that's the difference between Kenny and other past and potential FG leaders. Dukes has been rewarded many times over by Fianna Fail for his Tallaght strategy, with a number of well paying jobs.

Kenny has more cop and knows not to be bought by Fianna Fail. That's probably a reason many people don't like him, particularly friends of FF and particularly the eejits in the Sindo.

At least Kenny has some integrity and will put the country first.

Indeed rejecting the consensus could see Kenny bounce back in the polls. Cowen is despised by the Irish people, and opposing him is very popular at the moment.

keepitreal

I believe patriotism will might likely occur when (if we ever) we have patriots running the country... Agree with you the spin machine will go into overdrive in the coming weeks to butter up the plebs before the budget 2010 riots.

OCicero

It's amazing to see the parties juggling with the "consensus" hot potato: the Opposition trying to dodge it without being smeared as unpatriotic; the Greens trying to use the idea to put daylight between themselves and FF; FF trying not to cede the treasured elixir of power without looking parochial (!); FG smearing FF with not being interested in the National Interest...

Meanwhile, back in the real world...

P.White MMPC

I believe patriotism will might likely occur when (if we ever) we have patriots running the country... Agree with you the spin machine will go into overdrive in the coming weeks to butter up the plebs before the budget 2010 riots.
Obvious as ************************ now who runs Ber Cowen, a word in his ear from Lenihan and it’s all change.
Sad that a grown man can’t make up his own mind and do it his way ;)

jmayo

See that's the difference between Kenny and other past and potential FG leaders. Dukes has been rewarded many times over by Fianna Fail for his Tallaght strategy, with a number of well paying jobs.
Ah yes quisling dukes.
My respect for that man evaporated as I sat watching him arrogantly dismiss Shane Ross's questions.
Not alone did he dismiss a senator, he dismissed the committee he was on and thus by extension every taxpayer and citizen of this state.
A quisling is the best description for the man.

At least Kenny has some integrity and will put the country first.

Indeed rejecting the consensus could see Kenny bounce back in the polls. Cowen is despised by the Irish people, and opposing him is very popular at the moment.
No the media, ff hacks, the internet posters and the eejits will be claiming Kenny is putting personal ambition ahead of the country.
Just watch it.

turdsl

Cowen is pushed aside, , Cowen now survives at Lenihans discretion. He may leave him there until after the election, let Cowen take the hit.

clairec

It's amazing to see the parties juggling with the "consensus" hot potato: the Opposition trying to dodge it without being smeared as unpatriotic; the Greens trying to use the idea to put daylight between themselves and FF; FF trying not to cede the treasured elixir of power without looking parochial (!); FG smearing FF with not being interested in the National Interest...

Meanwhile, back in the real world...
Could FG not just say

"We supported you on the bank gaurantee because we believed it was in the national interest but now we know you lied to us about that telling us it was a liquidity issue and the banks were solvent. We cannot trust you so in the national interest we cannot support you"

keepitreal

Cowen is pushed aside, , Cowen now survives at Lenihans discretion. He may leave him there until after the election, let Cowen take the hit.
Agreed, I think Cowen was always the sacrificial lamb... Bertie handed him the poisoned chalice and lendahand is holding his cards tight to his chest.
Meanwhile the country sinks below the waves while they play musical chairs.

tommygavin

Could FG not just say

"We supported you on the bank gaurantee because we believed it was in the national interest but now we know you lied to us about that telling us it was a liquidity issue and the banks were solvent. We cannot trust you so in the national interest we cannot support you"
thats a very good point and it gets to the heart of the matter you cannot trust FF and the sooner we have an election the better for Ireland.

Iarmhi Gael

Fine Gael are in a terrible position on this.

Back Cowen and they will be blamed, don't back Cowen and they are failing the people. Whatever FG do all Labour have to do is do the opposite and get the applaudits. Only losers in this are Fine Gael

New Threads

Most Replies