cowens brother lands dogs job

mr. jings

"He went for the job after the slowdown in his auctioneering and valuing business following the collapse of the property market."

Some insult with your injury, sir?

Samell

Well he'll be able to give his brother a job after the GE, though I'm not sure he will be qualified to clean up after the dogs!

Tea Party Patriot

The Cowen's have always been involved in greyhounds so he would have prior knowledge of the industry and obviously has decent educational qualifications being an auctioneer. Don't see any biggie here, it only paying the average industrial wage, and he will have to work a full week for it.

Holy Cow

What does a small town estate agent know about dogs?

Ah don't question or abuse Gilmore's missus as they make no connected decisions even though married but abuse Cowen's brother even though only related through birth.

Always ask why Emmet Stagg gets off lightly despite his brother.

Expose the lot of them

Wonder what the unsuccessful applicants think? would be very interesting to know what skills, experience, etc that they brought to the table?

Tea Party Patriot

Read my previous post and also read the article. The Cowen's have always been involved in greyhounds, and I can personally vouch for this as my own family won the Irish greyhound derby some years back and I still have greyhounds myself. Also the article clearly states that he breeds them himself.

loner

Hope the poor man will not be overworked An auctioneer, a councillor and a dog track managerand a greyhound breeder---Ithink its dreadful that FF have so f**k*d up the economy that this poor fellow needs 4 jobs to survive----you would think his brother in that big job in Dublin would stuff him onto a few quangos to ease the pain.

owedtojoy

I smell a rat ... or is that just a wet dog?

On the face of it, this Cowen has some qualifications .. a salesman, claiming to be a dog breeder. Maybe that means his wife's poodle got shagged by a local terrier and had a litter of pups.

Experience of the working at a dog track with punters ... seems to be 0.

The employer is not a charity, but Cowen already has a business and must have made some big scores in the boom (unless he blew it all on speculation). The position could have got someone off the dole.

I would like to talk to the other candidates and assess their qualifications. The reporter should have dug some more - maybe he or she got scared off.

Tea Party Patriot

Hope the poor man will not be overworked An auctioneer, a councillor and a dog track managerand a greyhound breeder---Ithink its dreadful that FF have so f**k*d up the economy that this poor fellow needs 4 jobs to survive----you would think his brother in that big job in Dublin would stuff him onto a few quangos to ease the pain.
Could you at least give him credit for being industrious :lol:

Tea Party Patriot

I smell a rat ... or is that just a wet dog?

On the face of it, this Cowen has some qualifications .. a salesman, claiming to be a dog breeder. Maybe that means his wife's poodle got shagged by a local terrier and had a litter of pups.

Experience of the working at a dog track with punters ... seems to be 0.

The employer is not a charity, but Cowen already has a business and must have made some big scores in the boom (unless he blew it all on speculation). The position could have got someone off the dole.

I would like to talk to the other candidates and assess their qualifications. The reporter should have dug some more - maybe he or she got scared off.
I have to agree with you that the reporter in question should have examined the other candidates for this position before making a story out of it. Otherwise it is what it says on the tin, he got a job, not really worth printing.

wellfkmepink

FFS this story and thread are absolutely pointless. A man got a job. if there was a suggestion of impropriety then fair enough, but I don't see any

So what was his presentation that clinched the deal...."Hello, I'm Barry Cowen....ya know, Brian's brother?"
This post is a load of tripe. How can you come to that conclusion or support it?

Ah don't question or abuse Gilmore's missus as they make no connected decisions even though married but abuse Cowen's brother even though only related through birth.

r.
He applied for a job. If Cowen and his party members had made a scathing attack on those who apply for and accept jobs this would be comparable to the Gilmore story.

Wonder what the unsuccessful applicants think? would be very interesting to know what skills, experience, etc that they brought to the table?
Its a straightforward job. An interest in dogs and connections with doggy people would help running the business but essentially it is running a small entertainment venue. Not much different to a big pub. The unsuccessful applicants are probably upset they didn't get the job and reckon they would do better than the lad who got it. Again no big surprise there unless they can make a waterproof case for one or more candidates and against him.

Is there some mutual exclusion to holding knowledge on dogs (which I don't believe is particularly important for the job) and being an auctioneer?

Last edited:

Nermal

Off-topic, but I am just baffled that the activity of racing dogs in a circle is considered a fit destination for government money.

Tea Party Patriot

Off-topic, but I am just baffled that the activity of racing dogs in a circle is considered a fit destination for government money.
It shouldn't be subsidised any more than any other industry. However that is where betting tax goes and the government way of thinking on it is that the majority of money is bet on horses and greyhounds and therefore the betting tax goes towards subsidising them. However I'm not going to object while they are taxing and or subsidising everything else. In a free economy it should stand or fall on its merits.

wellfkmepink

Yes, off topic.

Its part of the money returned to horse racing and greyhound racing from betting taxes.
Given the amount of jobs created directly and indirectly by the industries along with the taxes derived on top of the betting taxes again both directly and indirectly, it is the maintenance of revenue streams by the government.

Watcher2

What is really dispicable is that he is a Councillor, the owner of an auctioneering business and THEN they tell us he can do so much for the role.

Hang on a Gad damn minute, how much time is he supposed to devote to all these roles? The amopunt of time he spends in his private business is his own issue BUT when he is a councillor AND running this dog track questions need to be asked about how much time and focus our elected representatives are putting into the roles they are supposed to fill and paid for by the tax payers.

New Threads

Most Replies