Cowen's Chinese hub for Westmeath

KingKane

Website
www.danielsullivan.ie
Twitter
kingkane
What is the attraction of Athlone for this sort of undertaking? I would have thought somewhere close to one of the major airports would have made some sense. In particular in the vicinity of either Swords- north county Dublin or Shannon-Limerick. Actually, wasn't there an announcement a few years back of a major development around Dublin airport?

B

birthday

Not even in his constituency!
Athlone has avery large shopping complex.

TODevastated

Athlone

is the reasoning for Athlone

i) its central position in the country,
ii) fits in with the govt spatial strategy?

i agree it should be located nearer to Dublin- but what would i know

Baron von Biffo

What is the attraction of Athlone for this sort of undertaking? I would have thought somewhere close to one of the major airports would have made some sense. In particular in the vicinity of either Swords- north county Dublin or Shannon-Limerick. Actually, wasn't there an announcement a few years back of a major development around Dublin airport?
Loads of land.
Motorway access.
Rail access.
And as for Airports - Passengers flying from Horseleap in three years? - News - Roundup - Articles - Westmeath Independent only 25Km away.

Schuhart

I was thinking much the same myself. If the decision is to promote a regional location, then Limerick-Shannon would look to be the place to flog. It could take such investment without any particular need for infrastructure. For what its worth, Shannon Airport has the only runway in the country suitable for direct flights to Asia. Rather than leave the tumbleweed blow across the tarmac while they attempt to create something out of nothing in a field outside Athlone, we could be using the facilities that we've already spent money developing.

So, yeah, I think people should absolutely be asking what this is about.

Red_93

I don't mean to rain on your parade Westmeath lads, and I am from Cork but I'm not being biased when I say this, but wouldn't it be better in Cork? UCC provides the most extensive range of Chinese courses and Cork houses the chinese cultural institute. If not, then Dublin, because UCD do provide a course in Chinese with commerce. Westmeath is kind of a weird place, I suppose Mammy O'Rourke got it there did she?

Roll_On

At the risk of sounding ignorant, what exactly is an "industry hub"? Also RTÉ says it would employ 10,000 people. That's more than half of Athlone's population, so obviously it will rely on workers from outside the region. Will this lead to a sharp rise in Athlone's population? I know it is near a motorway, but a development of this size(it also may expand in the future) warrents some form of rail link or rapid bus connection. In my opinion it should be located near a railway, so a station may be constructed. Car dependent developments are bad for the enviornment and go against the national development plan, and the Kyoto agreement to reduce our CO2 emissions.

has anybody raised these issues? does Westmeath County Coucil care?

fiannafailure

I was thinking much the same myself. If the decision is to promote a regional location, then Limerick-Shannon would look to be the place to flog. It could take such investment without any particular need for infrastructure. For what its worth, Shannon Airport has the only runway in the country suitable for direct flights to Asia. Rather than leave the tumbleweed blow across the tarmac while they attempt to create something out of nothing in a field outside Athlone, we could be using the facilities that we've already spent money developing.

So, yeah, I think people should absolutely be asking what this is about.
And the Shannon region already has a track record on building a similar type of world changing industry.

Should basic maths not be a primary requirement for politics ?

Pabilito

Limerick would be perfect with Shannon airport and Plassey Technoligical Park..

Finding a few thousand acres of land anywhere in Ireland is no a problem so I don’t understand why Athlone with no airport access is a front runner? Sounds like more old crony politics at work.

Red_93

Limerick would be perfect with Shannon airport and Plassey Technoligical Park..

Finding a few thousand acres of land anywhere in Ireland is no a problem so I don’t understand why Athlone with no airport access is a front runner? Sounds like more old crony politics at work.
Cork would be better - UCC is best University for Chinese courses.

shannonBlueShirt

And the Shannon region already has a track record on building a similar type of world changing industry.

Should basic maths not be a primary requirement for politics ?
Shannon - Limerick also have the buildings between the Free zone and Dell all ready to be fitted out... Not to mention, the skilled workforce...

Personnally I think this is a BS story , something good for Cowen to talk about on Radio...

Considering Cowen cannot even find 7 million to help turn Shannon in to a Cargo hub Govt urged to move on Cargo facilty at Shannon | clare.fm...

I am begining to think FF does not care for the Shannon/Limerick Region....

shannonBlueShirt

I dont think that Chinese courses would be a major factor in a chinese hub...

1) Tax rates is the first
2) Ireland is a island so getting material in and good out is the second consideration...

3) Skilled Engineers / Other graduates ( at the right price ) to set up companies etc is the third consideration

I dont think Chinese course would come in to it...

Pabilito

Fair enough, Cork, Limerick or Dublin are all fine with me.. any region that has an international airport and good third level institute … personally I consider Limerick more needy after Dell.. the availability of land however is hardly something special?.. so why Athlone?

Is there ever anything logical about Biffo?

Red_93

Fair enough, Cork, Limerick or Dublin are all fine with me.. any region that has an international airport and good third level institute … personally I consider Limerick more needy after Dell.. the availability of land however is hardly something special?.. so why Athlone?

Is there ever anything logical about Biffo?
That's probably true, all they would need to do would be to learn a bit of chinese, plenty of unemployed skilled workers rattling around

shannonBlueShirt

That's probably true, all they would need to do would be to learn a bit of chinese, plenty of unemployed skilled workers rattling around
Why do they need to learn chinese?
Surely English is the primary language of Business

Red_93

I dont think that Chinese courses would be a major factor in a chinese hub...
Maybe, maybe not
1) Tax rates is the first
Same all over Ireland
2) Ireland is a island so getting material in and good out is the second consideration...
Best harbour in Ireland, extensive railway links and second largest airport on your doorstep.
3) Skilled Engineers / Other graduates ( at the right price ) to set up companies etc is the third consideration
2 large 3rd level institutions next door.
I dont think Chinese course would come in to it...
Ahh, but if you were offered the choice between a computer science graduate, and a computer science graduate who had done modules in Chinese, who would you pick as a Chinese company?

New Threads

Popular Threads

Most Replies