Crazed Minister Hacks at Corpse of Irish Economy

DCon

I'll take responsibility when you point out something that was PD policy. Construction based tax reliefs were not PD policy. Neither was profligate benchmarking. They were FF. PD TDs voted them through but they were not our policy.
why did they vote them through?

do you think they were less culpable because it was FF policy?

greengoose2

Have a chat with the unions on that one.

1. 70% of health spend is on trade union members wages. We spend 25% of ALL govt spend on health. Money is not the problem.
2. All attempts to reform delivery of service has been opposed by unions, the IMO throughout the consultants contract negotiations and Jack's lads throughout benchmarking.
Nonsense! Your farcical remnant of a party is supposed to be a tough operator. Well one tough operator seriously put the unions in their place. I give you Micko!

What it boils down to is agenda. Paintball has one that does not really involve the people.

Politicians of all ilks in our banana republic are inclined to be great economists of truth and reality. Irish political dynasty at it's best.

Ils n'ont pas de pain ? Qu'ils mangent de la brioche !

GridLock

What all this confirms to me is that we should have kept our natural reserves,instead of selling them..Our short sighted government sold every natural reserve over to the UK we had which could have kept us going for another 30 -40 years..
We only see the gardai out in force to assist the shell projects!

GreenIsGood

You dont work for the ESB by any chance?
Funny question.

Does it mean you think the ESB oppose financial illiteracy, fanatical tunnel vision etc? Let's hope you are right.

I don't work the ESB. Are you a Green Party supporter?

Iarmuid

My Department is working to maximise this potential. Our recovery will be based on exports. Our capacity to produce this green electricity gives us major export potential. We are working with Scotland and Northern Ireland on the ISLES project to develop interconnection with these close neighbours
trouble for our ISLES partner

Scotland 'risking a blackout' in a bid to go green
Published Date: 13 November 2010
By Nathalie Thomas
Chief business correspondent
THE "lights could go out" over Scotland unless new power stations are built in the next two years to ward off a looming electricity crisis, the head of one of Scotland's most successful companies has warned Alex Salmond.

• Salmond has been warned by the chief executive of Agreeko that there is no realistic back-up plan

Rupert Soames, chief executive of power supply firm Aggreko, told the First Minister that the National Grid will lose a third of its capacity by 2018 as a string of nuclear, gas and oil-fired power stations across the UK are retired - including several in Scotland.

Mr Soames claimed that no other industrialised country in the world is at risk of losing so much of its energy supply at the same time - and without a realistic back-up plan.

He urged both the Scottish and UK governments to postpone green energy targets by a decade. Unless "the concrete is poured" on a new fleet of power stations within the next two years, Mr Soames warned, "we will be in serious danger of the lights going out".

His warning came as British Gas announced it will increase bills by an average of 7 per cent from 10 December. British Gas blamed rising wholesale prices.

• Winter blues come early as gas bills set to increase 7 per cent

• Premium- Leader: MSPs must see the light on unrealistic green targets

Mr Soames, the boss of the FTSE 100 firm - which has supplied energy for events including the World Cup and the Beijing Olympics, accused Scottish ministers of "wishful thinking" on renewable energy targets, which are among the most ambitious in the world.

"There is a danger in some quarters (in Scotland] of believing that if you wish things to be true, they will be true," he told an audience of MSPs and business leaders at the annual Business in the Parliament conference in Edinburgh. He said: "Scotland might wish to be a major exporter of renewable energy to Europe, and might wish to see an interconnector built across the North Sea, but does anyone really believe that we can get one built in the next ten years?"

Mr Soames attacked politicians for being too focused on long-term targets several decades away, and for having no "Plan B" when it comes to addressing the threat of more immediate energy shortages.

"We may wish the replacement to be wind; we may wish it to be tidal; but wishing isn't going to make it happen," he said. "We need a Plan B."

But Mr Soames did not reserve his criticism for Scotland.

"At the moment we as a nation are turning up to meetings with the bank manager in jeans and a T-shirt that says: 'Jesus loves you'," he said.

"All of this leaves investors shaking their heads.

Last edited:

'orebel

talkies

If we're going to be producing 10 times our energy demand then why are we going to start buying energy from the UK? that is why we built that massive electricity connection to the UK in north Dublin right?
To meet our current needs. It works both ways as someone has pointed out and I'm presuming the energy can travel both ways and in an open market energy can be exported and imported.

Will that mean that Irish taxpayers while supplementing exported green energy customers will be able to buy cheaper nuclear energy from oversees?

realist

Total wind generation at 15.30 today was 26MW. It is time to seriously stop wasting time and money on this totally unreliable energy source. Despite 2000 people a month having their ESB cut off due to inability to pay, Eamonn Ryan decides to increase ESB bills by 5% to subsidise the building of even more wind farms. Is it any wonder the country is in the mess it is in?

kerdasi amaq

Hmm, is the real Green objective to generate demand for the foreign makers of wind turbines?

realist

Is it just me or does the one in the yellow suit have the same eyes as Eamonn Ryan?

Mitsui2

I'll take responsibility when you point out something that was PD policy. Construction based tax reliefs were not PD policy. Neither was profligate benchmarking. They were FF. PD TDs voted them through but they were not our policy.
Not wanting to pick a fight or anything, LeDroit, but you do realise, don't you, that you're basically saying "We didn't think up any of those FF scams for buying votes and lining their mates' pockets, we just helped put them into practice"?

That's like saying "Hey, I didn't hit the guy, I just held him while my mate hit him! The whole thing was my mate's idea, too, so I've no responsibility for his being in hospital!"

It's a very Irish notion of collective political responsibility!

H

Total wind generation at 15.30 today was 26MW. It is time to seriously stop wasting time and money on this totally unreliable energy source. Despite 2000 people a month having their ESB cut off due to inability to pay, Eamonn Ryan decides to increase ESB bills by 5% to subsidise the building of even more wind farms. Is it any wonder the country is in the mess it is in?
The Green/ffer's have always hated the poorest in society, the old and poor will die of hypothermia due the Green lunatics stealth taxes, never mind electricity we also have some of the dearest prices for fuel oil with increased transport costs due to the scumm Greens, that of course is reflected in higher prices for food etc

What do you expect from Eamo' Ryan he was and is happy to support the FFer's in all of the confidence votes that they ever required in the Dail

As a human being ( I think he might be one?) he could not of sunk lower in the sewerage pit that is Fianna Fail politics by the way he rushed to give his most fullsome vote to Willie O Dea

I think we need a bit of investigative journalism as to why the Greens support Wind Turbines so much despite them being a useless and costly form of power generation.

sparkey321

Lets be accurate, here are the factory gate prices of Irish electricity on the 9th of Nov.

You can see it ranges from just under 3c a unit to over €26 a unit over the course of the day. Add in capacity charges etc and the average price hovers around 11c a unit at the moment
Pat

To be fair those are not exactly "factroy gate prices" in the true sense.

Popular Threads

Most Replies