Creationism is all around us.

nozzferrahhtoo

Website
www.catholic.ie
"A Northen Irish Professor of genetics" :D

Your nut-filter just goes up on auto-pilot when you see that bit.
Yes it does. If only it did on ALL people.

Take a look at convicted criminal Kent Hovind in the states for example. He went around claiming to be a trained scientist after procuring a mail order degree and attacking Evolution in debate after debate using slides from science books many years out of date.

Yet there are people who see such degrees and are convinced of their legitimacy, even AFTER the holder is convicted of various counts of fraud, jailed and spends all his time now claiming that Jesus visits him in prison to tell him he is innocent and is doing gods work.

Sync

Interesting post nozzferrahhtoo.

You are being attacked for the post, not clear why.

Creationism is anti-scientific and *wrong*.

Not just possibly wrong but verifiably and certainly wrong.

Some creationists go to considerable trouble to infiltrate their absurd beliefs into mainstream schooling - nozzferrahhtoo may be anxious about this, I certainly am.

Unfortunately humans seem to be hard-wired for credulity.

It may have been a survival trait 10's of thousands of years ago to believe the chieftain/shaman's "teaching" - nowadays it puts humanity at the risk of being led by idiots like Palin..

For an example of the credulity of many people we need only look at the transparently fraudulent origins of Mormonism & Scientology - both with (?) millions of adherents.
No one's saying creationism is real. What they're saying is the OPer has a very set agenda and is then pretending he doesn't, acting like a babe in the woods who is beset by the evil Christian Fundies peddling creationism. 5 out of his last 5 threads that he's started have been about religion, parrotting whatever article he last reads on Atheist.ie

If you always read Hello magazine, you'll think the world is solely focused on Jordan and Peter Andre's latest photoshoot. If you always read Creationist weekly you'll think the world is being ruined by godless liberals trying to steal religion. And if you always read Atheist.ie you'll think creationism is "all around us".

nozzferrahhtoo

Website
www.catholic.ie
No one's saying creationism is real.
Huh? Really? I just cited an article showing you a whole organised group of people are actually ARE saying this. Have you got ANY of your facts straight here today?

5 out of his last 5 threads that he's started have been about religion, parrotting whatever article he last reads on Atheist.ie
Again so many false assumptions it is comical, though I am flattered by your stalking of me around the site and your new obsession with me and your need to make this thread all about me. However I would advise you should try and be accurate while doing so.

A quick look for example will tell you that I am not “parrotting whatever article he last reads on Atheist.ie” as you will find I actually WRITE most of them. I am sure you are aware of the difference between parroting and citing your own work aren’t you?

Vega1447

Sync:
No one's saying creationism is real. What they're saying is the OPer has a very set agenda and is then pretending he doesn't, acting like a babe in the woods who is beset by the evil Christian Fundies peddling creationism. 5 out of his last 5 threads that he's started have been about religion, parrotting whatever article he last reads on Atheist.ie
A suggestion; if you agree with the OP why not say so or ignore him?

If you disagree with him, the same.

But attacking him for posting mainly/exclusively on what interests him is unreasonable.

Tin Foil Hat

Ignore them and hopefully they will go away. Here's why:
Another central tenet of the fundamnetalist christian right is a "pro-life" stance.This rejects,inter alia ,sterm cell research. The Regans were vehemently "pro life" and anti stem celll research until it dawned on them that a probably hereditary family form of demetia will probably be resolved by this very research -they changed their minds when self interest and scientific research see this link

Ron Reagan defends stem cell research - Dateline NBC - msnbc.com

Don't mind them it is all a stance to be seen to be more right wing than the next guy they give it up when it suits them

If they found oil in a 5m year old rock formation they would soon square the circle.....
Ron Reagan is an atheist.

Monday Monday

Headed by "a Northern Irish professor of genetics" the group has already been asked to speak in schools in Scotland.

Just on a point of order. I know this claim has come from the newspaper but I can find no corroberating evidence that this man is a professor of anything.
He is not listed as holding a chair in any University. Instead he could best be described as a retired school teacher and evangelical preacher. His Phd is in Chemistry which is also not particularly relevant to evolutionary science.

I'd recomend people take a read of Ben Goldacres book called "Bad Science." It's popular science and not too taxing on the brain but Ben gives great advice on how a skeptic should treat science reporting in mainstream newspapers.

Akrasia

I don't believe in Creationism. I simply don't listen to them. Its that easy. There used to be these concepts called freedom of expression, freedom of religion and freedom of speech.
And what about freedom from religious indoctrination?

These creationists are targeting schools, in primary schools they are targeting people who are not equipped to make an informed choice about whether evolution is true or not, and in secondary schools they're trying to misinform children about the 'scientific debate' and mislead them into thinking that evolution and creationism are both equally valid explanations for how species originated.

Allowing creationists to hijack the science curriculum is no different from allowing any other cults access to schools so they can promote their lies and misinformation at the early formative stages of development.

In the U.S. Creationists were devastatingly successful and created a lost generation of children who grew up functionally scientifically illiterate (and therefore, far far more likely to become fundamentalist christians.)

Sync

Ron Reagan is an atheist.
Well Ron's been dead for 6 years, and for the last 10 years of his life pretty much thought he was a space cowboy. I'd attach any statements he may have issued on the matter to his wife more than anything else.

nozzferrahhtoo

Website
www.catholic.ie
Just on a point of order. I know this claim has come from the newspaper but I can find no corroberating evidence that this man is a professor of anything.
He is not listed as holding a chair in any University. Instead he could best be described as a retired school teacher and evangelical preacher. His Phd is in Chemistry which is also not particularly relevant to evolutionary science.
Well done. I have reported what I know so far of this story but I do intend to go into the backgrounds further of the people who are part of the new organisation.

I fully expected to find that their qualifications would be either beefed up, wholesale lied about (ala Kent Hovinds type) or worse. Your post comes at no surprise and I intend to dig further.

Tin Foil Hat

Well Ron's been dead for 6 years, and for the last 10 years of his life pretty much thought he was a space cowboy. I'd attach any statements he may have issued on the matter to his wife more than anything else.
Ron Reagan Jnr, ya muppet. The guy in the link in the post I quoted!!!:)

Sync

Cassandra Syndrome

And what about freedom from religious indoctrination?

These creationists are targeting schools, in primary schools they are targeting people who are not equipped to make an informed choice about whether evolution is true or not, and in secondary schools they're trying to misinform children about the 'scientific debate' and mislead them into thinking that evolution and creationism are both equally valid explanations for how species originated.

Allowing creationists to hijack the science curriculum is no different from allowing any other cults access to schools so they can promote their lies and misinformation at the early formative stages of development.

In the U.S. Creationists were devastatingly successful and created a lost generation of children who grew up functionally scientifically illiterate (and therefore, far far more likely to become fundamentalist christians.)
I am more worried about a generation of drones who can't spell or think for themselves, like a recent report suggests, about the capabilities of recent graduates. A lot of spoilt kids who write essays in mobile text language; for example. There is a generation being dumbed down by the state, thats a much bigger problem than Adam and Eve stories. What happens when they have to look after the ageing population?

There is no threat from creationism, because its easily disproven and most people do not accept it. Its fairy tale stories.

Creation and evolution in public education - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

There is a link with all recent developments.

Sync

Well done. I have reported what I know so far of this story but I do intend to go into the backgrounds further of the people who are part of the new organisation.

I fully expected to find that their qualifications would be either beefed up, wholesale lied about (ala Kent Hovinds type) or worse. Your post comes at no surprise and I intend to dig further.
This is absolutely what someone with no agenda would do.

Socratus O' Pericles

Sync

[url=http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/3700015.stm]BBC NEWS | Americas | Nancy Reagan plea on stem cells[/QUOTE/[/URL]

Point taken

How about Nancy
Former US First Lady Nancy Reagan has urged the Bush administration to support embryonic stem cell research. ]
To be fair, the vast majority of Americans would describe themselves as religious, but are still in favour of stemcell research. It's getting to the point where only the real zealots or the people who don't know what it is actively oppose t.

Embryonic Stem Cell Research Receives Widespread Support From Americans - MarketWatch

Baron von Biffo

If you always read Hello magazine, you'll think the world is solely focused on Jordan and Peter Andre's latest photoshoot. If you always read Creationist weekly you'll think the world is being ruined by godless liberals trying to steal religion. And if you always read Atheist.ie you'll think creationism is "all around us".
And if you always read P.ie what will you think the world is like? :)

G

Gimpanzee

I'd have no problem letting this lot into schools. Kids would devour them.

Sync

And if you always read P.ie what will you think the world is like? :)
That we're beset with the worst government in the history of everything, but that it's ok as we're about to be taken over by the vast Muslim/EU/Jewish shadow group that rules the world. And that Sync is always right. ;)

Popular Threads

Most Replies