• It has come to our attention that some users may have been "banned" when they tried to change their passwords after the site was hacked due to a glitch in the old vBulletin software. This would have occurred around the end of February and does not apply after the site was converted to Xenforo. If you believe you were affected by this, please contact a staff member or use the Contact us link at the bottom of any forum page.

Creighton calls Irish people 'narcissistic' on neutrality, wants EU defence, concedes resistance.

He3

A report on Ireland by a private French body called Notre Europe - Institut Delors quotes Irish junior Minister Lucinda Creighton as being “very supportive” of Ireland joining common European defence though she does not believe her party could gain “political traction for that in the short term”.

“We have developed this perception of ourselves that to be neutral and to not engage in any sort of common defence is a badge of honour.”

“That position on neutrality is quite narcissistic: we do not have to worry about its consequences, and we can parade it around the world, go to the United Nations and tell everyone how wonderful we are. But that has become part of Irish identity and it will be very hard to change.”

The report, according to the Irish Times story on it today, says that the debt crisis has changed Irish attitudes to European integration: 'The notion of EU membership giving Ireland a louder voice played a role in shaping pro-European attitudes, the report argues, but this feeling was “somewhat shattered” by the events leading to the EU-International Monetary Fund bailout.'

“The tight supervision of domestic policies by outsiders has breathed new life into ‘sovereignty’ as a category of the Irish political debate.”

'There is a “widespread feeling”, including among Government officials, the ECB has applied double standards, treating Ireland more harshly than Spain or Italy.'

Irish attitudes to neutrality 'narcissistic' - The Irish Times - Mon, Feb 04, 2013

Analyzer

Well...well....

It seems that the apple has not dropped far from General O'Duffy's tree.

And then we have Donkeylaffs and his veneration of that saint of pointless bodybags, John Redmond.

If only FG were as committed to fighting wasters in their own party pulling political strokes, or the criminals that are roaming around unhindered.

Analyzer

Somebody should inform Lucinda that her party have decreasing credibility.

niall78

Hopefully she'll be the first to volunteer to go over the top in Europe's next grotty little resource war in some ex-colonial hellhole.

Watch those machine guns Lucinda - crossfires can be nasty.

Goa Tse

Narcissistic? A case of pot kettle black there I think, especially coming from that barely coherent little hinny.

jmcc

Then put her and the rest of the EUnuchs in the front line and let's see if her opinion changes.

Goa Tse

Hopefully she'll be the first to volunteer to go over the top in Europe's next grotty little resource war in some ex-colonial hellhole.

Watch those machine guns Lucinda - crossfires can be nasty.
Crossfires? She'd want to be careful she doesn't get shot in the back . . .

Clanrickard

Creighton is dead right on this issue.

Our neutrality is just a decoration.

It has become an ugly one too.

It's time we got rid of it.

Needless to say, we won't.

There is not a word of what Creighton has to say as reported in the OP that I don't completely agree with.
Creighton is on the money on this. Our neutrality is a sham and we should ditch this narcissistic policy immediately.

niall78

Creighton is dead right on this issue.

Our neutrality is just a decoration.

It has become an ugly one too.

It's time we got rid of it.

Needless to say, we won't.

There is not a word of what Creighton has to say as reported in the OP that I don't completely agree with.
I presume you'll be one of the first to volunteer in these wars you agree so much with?

FrankSpeaks

A report on Ireland by a private French body called Notre Europe - Institut Delors quotes Irish junior Minister Lucinda Creighton as being “very supportive” of Ireland joining common European defence though she does not believe her party could gain “political traction for that in the short term”.

“We have developed this perception of ourselves that to be neutral and to not engage in any sort of common defence is a badge of honour.”

“That position on neutrality is quite narcissistic: we do not have to worry about its consequences, and we can parade it around the world, go to the United Nations and tell everyone how wonderful we are. But that has become part of Irish identity and it will be very hard to change.”

The report, according to the Irish Times story on it today, says that the debt crisis has changed Irish attitudes to European integration: 'The notion of EU membership giving Ireland a louder voice played a role in shaping pro-European attitudes, the report argues, but this feeling was “somewhat shattered” by the events leading to the EU-International Monetary Fund bailout.'

“The tight supervision of domestic policies by outsiders has breathed new life into ‘sovereignty’ as a category of the Irish political debate.”

'There is a “widespread feeling”, including among Government officials, the ECB has applied double standards, treating Ireland more harshly than Spain or Italy.'

Irish attitudes to neutrality 'narcissistic' - The Irish Times - Mon, Feb 04, 2013
All of her reported statements are correct. She is right that we have this silly notion that we are neutral, that everybody loves us because we are so and this neutrality strategy is also heavily pushed by the media darlings. We are not neutral, never have been, we pretended to be neutral in WWII but gave every assistance we could to the allies. The triple lock is the greatest load of sh1te the politicians of this country ever foisted upon us, it means we have to stand idly by while people get slaughtered until the Dail, the EU and UN decide it is OK to intervene.

She is right that many in Ireland blame Germany for making it harsh for us, she is right that many think we are treated more harshly than others. What amazes me is that many can't see we got ourselves into this mess and that we have to tighten our belts to sort it out.

Grey Area

Ireland's nuetrality is a myth.

"Shannon Airport has a history of foreign military use. A large part of its business in recent years has been military stopovers, currently almost all American; however, the airport was also frequently used by the Soviet military until the 1990's."

Shannon Airport - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Clanrickard

I'm sure Lucinda and the gang will make these no-colonial 'interventions' a work-bridge scheme.
So you'd be the type to let people be slaughtered just so you can wallow in self congratulation that we don't do interventions? The ultimate in selfishness.

niall78

So you'd be the type to let people be slaughtered just so you can wallow in self congratulation that we don't do interventions? The ultimate in selfishness.
Sorry I don't want me or mine off trying to fight the yanks the next time they decide to incinerate tens of thousands in their next resource war.

I presume you'll be volunteering?

Grey Area

I would never agree to Ireland's military doing anything other than peace keeping duties or defending a direct attack upon the state. A proud badge of honour for me and, while I'm at it, since when did self preservation become narcissistic?

Last edited:

Potatoeman

Irelands neutrality seems to be brought up more and more, many people don’t recognise the reason for our stance in the first place. We were an occupied country and you could argue we still are. The people that criticise us for our neutrality don’t seem to recognise that our self won independence after extended occupation without any outside nations help is reason enough itself.

Burnout

Twitter
I have a life.
Creighton is on the money on this. Our neutrality is a sham and we should ditch this narcissistic policy immediately.
Why? so as we have to find more money to fund an army and it's collective 'expensive toys for boys'. More cuts all around for everyone else and then a new invoice for setting up an Irish Army and new junior ministers and more civil servants to run it? wrong road to go down I think.

Of course we could always introduce 2 years forced army service and send a few unemployed gougers off to Syria along with a few jobsbridge cheap nurses, hopefully most would be killed but think of the unemployment figures as regiments of unemployed are taken off the live register. Then we could have the glory of the ministers pressing the flesh with the families of those killed and giving great speeches and fine photo call opportunities.

Seriously are you mad? is there not enough madness in this country without handing out guns for war at our further expense. On a positive note maybe those self same conscripted soldiers might take over the country and give the state back to the people who live here in the real world.