Creighton wants minimum wage review

antiestablishmentarian

Creighton doesn't know what she's talking about. I went to listen to her speak about the Lisbon treaty 2 years ago in UL, and she was urging people to vote for the EU as it was becoming more relevant in their day to day lives, because it was becoming like the superstates in 1984.

bob3344

Probably a good idea, but welfare would have to be reduced a the same time.

With the benefit system as it is, its not worth some peoples while to work for the current minimum wage, which is why every pub, shop & garage in dublin seems to have chinese & eastern european employees.

laidback

Wonder if she is in favour of a review of TDs salaries and expenses....?

If she were not a TD she'd be unemployed, joining the ranks of the many blonde young solicitors who have no work. She might have to consider a minimum wage job.

Rocky

Wonder if she is in favour of a review of TDs salaries and expenses....?

If she were not a TD she'd be unemployed, joining the ranks of the many blonde young solicitors who have no work. She might have to consider a minimum wage job.
She might not even be able to get a minimum wage job. But maybe if the minimum wage was lower, some company would be able to take on more staff and that could include unemployed Lucinda.

spotty

If she keeps this up, she will soon overtake Fidelma Healy-Eames as Spotty's ideal woman.

SilverLining

What BlueShirt would have any personal experience of the minimum wage ? Fine Gael are a party for the rich and priviledged elites who have no idea how other people live. She should back to the US and practice law, there plenty of money in that.

Oldira1

If she suggested that in conjuction with the reduction in the minimum wage she would only take the average industrial wage as her salary until 2014 then I would take her seriously.
Otherwise she is just spoofing.

Sensible Head

Lucinda CREIGHTON TD » About

Previous Employment

•2001: Co-ordinator for the Democratic Party in New York
•2002: Political advisor in Dáil Éireann
•2002 – 2003: European Movement, Ireland; Research
•2003-2004: The Health and Safety Authority; Press Office
•2004: Elected to represent the Pembroke Ward on Dublin City Council
•2005: Barrister at Law
•2007: Elected to Dáil Éireann

Hahahahahhahahahhahha.

Serious Post.

libertarian-right

All the more reason for people to stay on the dole then to take a lower paid job and lose all those perks.

Who is John Galt?

While I have not always been a supporter of her policies, I must admit to being impressed that Creighton had the bottle to raise this issue. Reducing the minimum wage has become a pragmatic issue due to our deteriorating economic health. However, the minimum wage itself is a deeply moral issue. While I concede some people do benefit from this government decree, other people - typically young and inexperienced - are left without the possibility of getting a foot in the door and gaining vital on-the-job training. Why? Because the mandated minimum wage an employer will have to pay does not cover the potential liability of hiring such a person. Do the youth and underskilled of Ireland a favour and abolish the minimum wage altogether.

Keith-M

Website
www.allkindsofeverything.ie
All the more reason for people to stay on the dole then to take a lower paid job and lose all those perks.
That's why we need to reduce welfare as well. The gap between life on welfare and getting a job needs to stay. If we start to bring lower earners into the tax net, we need to cut welfare.

Baron von Biffo

At least FG is consistent across the sectors on this. Their alternative budget singled out the lowest paid in each grade of the PS and now Creighton wants to hammer the lowest paid across the board.

FutureTaoiseach

Website
greatdearleader.blogspot.com
She is wrong. It isn't enforced anyway. I'm not aware of a single prosecution for not paying the minimum-wage. In any case, a MRC study found that 53% of migrant workers in the restaurant sector are paid below the minimum-wage.

Sync

We've been told that the FG party is united by numerous people. As such I think it's scurillous quite frankly that some of you are hinting that just because she's got form of mouthing off at every opportunity, this is some sort of "solo run".

Enda trusts here completely and made her Deputy spokesperson for Justice with special responsibility for Immigration, Integration and Equality.

There's no way she would be stupid enough to go about making up party policy for departments that aren't her own, and there's no way she would ever show such disloyalty to Enda. She wouldn't undercut Richard Bruton like that. You're all mean.

KingKane

Website
www.danielsullivan.ie
Twitter
kingkane
At least FG is consistent across the sectors on this. Their alternative budget singled out the lowest paid in each grade of the PS and now Creighton wants to hammer the lowest paid across the board.
Can you link to where in the alternative FG budget the lowest paid in the each grade of the PS was singled out? From what I recall, FG was intent on exempting the lowest grades from the pay reductions and having higher reductions for the better paid in the PS. So can you link to where your claims are supported?

Baron von Biffo

Can you link to where in the alternative FG budget the lowest paid in the each grade of the PS was singled out? From what I recall, FG was intent on exempting the lowest grades from the pay reductions and having higher reductions for the better paid in the PS. So can you link to where your claims are supported?
I can't find the FG budget on your web site. What I'm referring to is FGs proposal to abolish/suspend increments in the PS. Obviously increments only apply to the lowest paid in each grade therefore the proposal is to target those groups.

Se here for Bruton asking Lenihan about suspending increments until 2013 and here for a statement from him on it.

realistic1

That's why we need to reduce welfare as well. The gap between life on welfare and getting a job needs to stay. If we start to bring lower earners into the tax net, we need to cut welfare.
How about cutting rents and other such expenses that drove up the Minimum wage??? Anyone advocating a cut in minimum wage is financially comfortable.

realistic1

I wonder how many people on minimum wage vote? If not many, these fat cat Politicians will definetly push for lowering of minimum wage.

New Threads

Popular Threads

Most Replies