Creighton: we "need to pass the Budget"

Asparagus

Lucinda's and my own personal politics would be far apart .... but fair play to her for taking a full and public stance

Amazing how all the loyal party supporters who claim they would love to see and end to gombeenism, parish pump and insider politics resort to form as soon as someone is genuinely independently minded..... more independent speakers, speaking their mind and not timidly towing some party line in order to curry favour is whats needed in all parties and across the political classes

Well done Lucinda
So it is your opinion that a vote for something you haven't seen yet is something to be applauded.

I think it is naieve and demonstrative of poor judgement.

She is a disloyal, self important gombeen engaged in slef interest. She is highjacking the budget to further her own x factor credentials.

if they are your politics then great - i'd rather see a party united in pre election and independent once they get into power.

lying eyes

When you hear "We need to do this in the National Interest " be careful. I have never come across a polition who did anything in the National Intrest. Plenty of them have done things for self or party interest.

Sensible Head

And people are surprised the SF vote is up.

People want to protest, she's up front about it I suppose. Hardly the voice of an alternative though.

Reminds me of that phrase 'Her Majesty's loyal opposition' ...

Tig

So her idea of bringing certainty to the country is to let the idiots who got us into this mess try to get us out. yeah..that'll work.
The election is a minimum of a few months away - there is no question of the current Government being allowed to get us out of anything. They are on borrowed time, and they know it.

That, however, is not to say that the budget can wait until the election is done and dusted - it can't.

Even if this budget is overwritten - in some relatively marginal ways - by the new Government, we still require some semblance of a plan for the coming months and until the composition of the next Government is decided.

Tomas Mor

So Lucy wants to pass a budget she has not yet seen. She is just acting up again and attention seeking, maybe her seat is in danger !

mothball

She can't have any intention of running in another election unless she is dumb enough to believe that anyone but a tiny minority want this budget passed.

As I've been saying for weeks, FG really wanted this budget to pass. They will be glad with the actions of this cretin, but if they don't remove her from the party immediately, they'll be just as tarnished with the fallout of this budget as FF by effectively condoning her move. I've never had confidence in Fine Gael's ability to play politics so it's too early to say what they will do. FF have always run rings around them on the political stage.

Also, having this cretinous woman on board just exemplifies the type of people attracted to FG. Essentially, apart from the widespread corruption, the same as Fianna Fáil and this will come back to haunt them during the next election campaign. Good enough for them.

brughahaha

So it is your opinion that a vote for something you haven't seen yet is something to be applauded.

I think it is naieve and demonstrative of poor judgement.

She is a disloyal, self important gombeen engaged in slef interest. She is highjacking the budget to further her own x factor credentials.

if they are your politics then great - i'd rather see a party united in pre election and independent once they get into power.
So the traditional OIrish clientelism , lets keep it in the family boys, lets object to everything for the sake of it .... is your politics??Yep a bright future lies that way ... the "they may be idiots but their my idiots "Irish mentality had no hand act or part in getting us into this mess did it.

Every dog on the street knows FG will let the budget pass ... being honest
enough to admit it is commendable .... playing sill buggers is not ... and I repeat (because your literacy skills seemed to have a hard time understanding) I would have very different political opinions to L Creighton but seeing some independent thought outside the party whip system is to be welcomed

As for not knowing whats in the budget .... its probably the most public budget in the history of the state

Reg Danza

Let's be clear. Lucinda Cretin is a Euro federalist. If Olli Rehn ordered the government to suspend the constitution and shut down the Dail, Creighton would rush to an RTE studio to defend it as a necessary and progressive step. Creighton would back ANY diktat handed down by Frankfurt.

The fact is we have to stop spending money we don't have. However, the budget is a precondition of the so-called bailout which is totally unacceptable. It effectively suspends our government for a minimum of four years and transfers the vast debts of private speculators onto the shoulders of hapless taxpayers. It sets back the cause of European democracy by about 200 years. It is beyond outrageous. But then we have Garret, Creighton and their clique telling us it's the only game in town: like Lisbon, and Nama and the blanket guarantee...

Last edited:

westie12

The fact is we have to stop spending money we don't have. However, the budget is a precondition of the so-called bailout which is totally unacceptable. It effectively suspends our government for a minimum of four years and transfers the vast debts of private speculators onto the shoulders of hapless taxpayers. It sets back the cause of European democracy by about 200 years. It is beyond outrageous. But then we have Garret, Cretin and their clique telling us it's the only game in town: like Lisbon, and Nama and the blanket guarantee...
That just exactly sums up my feelings as well. We are being stripped bare by eurocrats who will least us with no assets with which to rebuild our economy (if we can ever do it!)

Rebel_Yell

One word for her:

Traitor
Anyone else think the use of this word is becoming something of a turrets like impulse on p.ie?

Gimme a break, she may be attention seeking, but she is acting in what she percieves to be the country's best interests. She is probably also acting in FG's best interests by making it a whole lot easier for FG/Lab to avoid any nastiness in the formation of a government. "'Twas the last shower that did it Gov and we couldn't undo it".

i dunno

Well done to Lucinda.

There seems to be an idealogical battleground in FG these days. Its seems to be played out on p.ie too, in this thread, and the other Lucinda one.

In the spirit of the decent and honorable Alan Dukes, the "Young Guns" in FG, Leo, Lucinda, Simon, Damien etc bring a "do the right thing for country, even if it hurts you politically", vibe to the FG party.

These are honorable people.

FG has been fooling about for 30 years, trying to please everyone, and falling between two stools. Its flirtation with the left in the mid eighties lost loyal party supporters.

Sure, the "Young Guns" don't always get it right, but they and their principles, be they right or wrong, are the only thing we have got to protect us from the nutty left and the crony fake capitalists.

king5494

FG are shown themselves to be as stupid as FF and I'm glad the electorate is copping onto the fact they're one of the same ,be careful though FF/FG might come together in Government ,in the national interest of course.

locke

With Lowry now declaring for the budget, she look s a bit silly now.

With tactical nous like this, no wonder she's not on the front-bench.

hiding behind a poster

so why did FG publish its budget proposals if its own deputies are going to support an FF one that they havent even seen ?
"Its own deputies" aren't going to support the Budget. ONE of them is saying she might abstain. Big difference.

brine

Creighton:

Our support for the budgetary targets is simply based on the fact that we must get our spending under control if we are to continue running our schools and hospitals. We must be able to plug the €20 billion gap that now exists between what we take in through taxes and what we spend on keeping this country ticking over. This is not a matter of choice – it is necessity.
And why is spending out of control? Could it be that we are pouring money into banks?

Hmmm?

Hmmm?

(Sound of penny dropping)

Asparagus

Creighton:

And why is spending out of control? Could it be that we are pouring money into banks?

Hmmm?

Hmmm?

(Sound of penny dropping)
spending is out of control because we over pay the underperforming public service by a multiple of 1.5 to 5 times what they are worth and we over pay the unemployed double what we should.
spending is out of control because we have single public service entities that have multiple admin and IT groups that are not only well resourced but also feckless and use day rate contractors to do their jobs for them

I worked in the PS up until recently as one of those day rate contractors - The place has 4-5 seperate groups looking after different IT systems and applications. Other subunits can buy their own systems so the have at last count 12 different and disparate document and records management systems all with site licences for the entire organisation.
They have 2 payroll offices.

The entire public service should be paid by 1 payroll out fit - they all pretty much use the same HR package...
but no we have waste and waste and then we have a payroll function that sees thousands of people in ireland whose work is to pay people when a small team could do the whole lot.
Why don't we amalgamate them and the HR functions?
Simililarily why arent the IT divisions of some organisations amalgamated?

then why don't we cap the PS salaries at 250K and reduce the entire burden?

Soften the blow with tax breaks...

The banks are a completely other black hole....

locke

It shouldn't be too hard to be rid of her.

Just make sure she comes 2nd among the FG candidates in Dublin SE.

Barring the unlikely event of it coming back Lab 2 FG 2, she won't have a seat.

And no dragging internal party divisions through the press.

New Threads

Popular Threads

Most Replies

Top Bottom