Cricket Ireland gets full test status.

TheField

Good news for those interested in Irish cricket.

Afghanistan, Ireland get Test status | Cricket | ESPN Cricinfo

Ireland and Afghanistan have been elected today to full membership of the International Cricket Council and can now play regular full test matches against other members and obtain more funding from TV monies to help with promotion of the sport.

Cricket was played widely in parts of rural Ireland in the nineteenth century and of course, we have an All Ireland team.

The late Martin McGuinness, who I believe was a fan, would be delighted I'm sure :)

Telstar 62

The Irish team will be embarrassingly exposed now.

Duck for six wickets......

Incredible. Brilliant.

They will need to raise their game in a big way, though. Just remember that many teams took years to gain their first win having been elevated.

At least Joyce gets a test match. Hopefully.

TheField

Incredible. Brilliant.

They will need to raise their game in a big way, though. Just remember that many teams took years to gain their first win having been elevated.

At least Joyce gets a test match. Hopefully.
They will have to raise their game and hopefully this change will stop the talent drain across the water.

Erudite Caveman

This is sort of like qualifying for a never ending world cup finals, right? Plus we are more likely to get the chance to host a Shane Warne scandal sometime?

This is sort of like qualifying for a never ending world cup finals, right? Plus we are more likely to get the chance to host a Shane Warne scandal sometime?
It means huge money to fund new facilities, development programmes etc. It allows domestic players to have a career plan in the game.

gerhard dengler

The game in Ireland cannot sustain a full time professional Irish team.
These are the facts.

To be competitive at Test level a country needs to be able to produce home grown players capable of playing at that elevated level. We simply don't have that talent or players numbers at the moment.

Whether elevation to test level status will drive the production of home grown player numbers with the required talent, remains to be seen.

I would have thought that a number of seasons playing the County Championship would have been the precursor to elevation to test status.

These are the facts.

To be competitive at Test level a country needs to be able to produce home grown players capable of playing at that elevated level. We simply don't have that talent or players numbers at the moment.

Whether elevation to test level status will drive the production of home grown player numbers with the required talent, remains to be seen.

I would have thought that a number of seasons playing the County Championship would have been the precursor to elevation to test status.
They had to provide costing models. It'll be all about dragging out the talent and developing it. The money available will be orders above what has been available.

Hitchcock

Yes - you'll be able to see the great English test team in action against us......:cool:
Will you insist on Moeen Ali being present if it's in Ireland? Will you protest if Pakistan or South Africa travel? :roll:

hollandia

These are the facts.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cricket_in_Ireland#English_county_competition

You mean like the above?

PeaceGoalie

The late Martin McGuinness, who I believe was a fan, would be delighted I'm sure :)
Coco organised a sectarian murder campaign against cricket players. Baseball - or rather baseball bats- was more Coco's style

gerhard dengler

gerhard dengler said:
These are the facts.

I would have thought that a number of seasons playing in the County Championship would have been the precursor to elevation to test status.

Nope.

The County Championship fixtures are cricket matches played over 4 days.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/County_Championship

occams_butterknife

This is fantastic news.

GAA, football and rugby are far too physically demanding... the spread of cricket will get the idle out into the fresh air, where they can stand around and pretend they are Olympians :D

ergo2

Great news.

1. Glad to hear that the Irish team will be an All Ireland team.

Hope the Soccer guys and gals take note

2. I recall that at the height of the Provo bombing campaign in England a cricket club from Galway played matches in the British Midlands. Did their bit to show that we were not all savages here

New Threads

Most Replies