• It has come to our attention that some users may have been "banned" when they tried to change their passwords after the site was hacked due to a glitch in the old vBulletin software. This would have occurred around the end of February and does not apply after the site was converted to Xenforo. If you believe you were affected by this, please contact a staff member or use the Contact us link at the bottom of any forum page.

Cricket

alkmaar67

First of all, are there any cricket fans on here and if so from which clubs?

I was just wondering also what are the attitudes of the main parties as regards sports funding in general and more specifically to cricket?

JPR

I used to play cricket and still follow it, it was great watching the World Cup with Ireland doing so well!

I was a player of modest talent and played for my home town club, strictly small time.

Funding for cricket will be a lot easier to get after the Irish performance at the WC, but still won't match what other 'bigger' sports get. But a little is still good.

alkmaar67

Yes, it was great to see them qualify. I was at a couple of the games during the qualifying - one at Stormont and one in Comber. The boys did superbly and should now be allowed to play test matches against Bangla and Zimbabwe.

I think cricket should be held up as an example to other sports because all communities play it - I even played against a Chinese player when my school went down to Dublin. The government should be supporting Ireland in preparing for test status in the years to come without a doubt.

The standard of cricket in Leinster seems to be far higher than up here in the NCU or the North West, maybe because of the magnet that is Dublin.

locke

Test status won't happen without a professional domestic set up, so that's no time possibility in the near future.

I played a little when I was at UCC and also as a kid, I spent three years in school in England where I played. It's very time consuming, so it requires too much dedication when you're in full time employment.

alkmaar67

Well, the ICC do put a lot of criteria up for test status. However, Ireland satisfy the most important of all that the previous 3 entrants to test cricket did not, merit on the field!

Blue Tide

I play for UCC, its a really enjoyable game to play. Beats that hell out of GAA sports anyway and I'd played Football for ten years before I came to college.

Blue Tide

Oh and I'm not one of those new bandwagon people, I played before the world cup.

alkmaar67

I play at North Down.

I think we are the only team from NI who can challenge the top Leinster sides.

Nedz Newt

alkmaar67 said:

I was just wondering also what are the attitudes of the main parties as regards sports funding in general and more specifically to cricket?
I'm not a cricket man specifically (GAA, opposite end of spectrum) but have a bee in my bonnet about government assitance for sports organisations in general.
Relatively small grants would give massive boosts to clubs of all stripes, and wonders have been done for several clubs. Some clubs are more agressive and infuential than others, and I think all parties can do much more at little cost.
But I'd say to any one in any club in any sport, agressive single minded persistence does pay off, and this is the best advice I could give to a cricket (or any other sport) fan.
Good luck with it.

belvoboy

Used to play in school and now like to follow it on TV (mainly ODIs although sometimes tape Test matches and watch the innings of more exciting players e.g. Gilchrist, Afridi, etc).

I remember somebody pointing out http://www.cricinfo.com and couldn't believe people followed matches online (i.e. with word commentary) and have recently found myself doing it more and more. So be warned! :)

Agrona

I fell into the cricinfo trap during the world cup.

I only really follow Ireland, no clubs. I'll try to make one of our ODIs this summer.

Odyessus

I love cricket and would love to see more government funding for it. We have an all Ireland team, and the sport is popular among all shades of political opinion. I believe Martin McGuinness is a big fan. Just what we need to being people together.

Dasayev

Nedz Newt said:
alkmaar67 said:

I'm not a cricket man specifically (GAA, opposite end of spectrum) but have a bee in my bonnet about government assitance for sports organisations in general.
Relatively small grants would give massive boosts to clubs of all stripes, and wonders have been done for several clubs. Some clubs are more agressive and infuential than others, and I think all parties can do much more at little cost.
But I'd say to any one in any club in any sport, agressive single minded persistence does pay off, and this is the best advice I could give to a cricket (or any other sport) fan.
Good luck with it.
Or you could just move your team to Kerry, where John O'Donoghue will take care of you. ;)

scotusone

Blue Tide said:
I play for UCC, its a really enjoyable game to play. Beats that hell out of GAA sports anyway and I'd played Football for ten years before I came to college.
why is that necessary ? "beats the hell out ..." why cant you just say you enjoy it even prefer it to football .
why this petty juvenile pissing competition to everything ?

i love my cricket , reared on the great windies teams of the 70s and 80s and i love my hurling ( tho a more painful passion as a yellow belly).

statsman

The Ashes begin, and England a wicket down already.

Clareboy

Cricket - how upper middle class can you get! Government funding for Cricket - what a joke! They are all loaded! Let them pay for their own game!

statsman

Cricket - how upper middle class can you get! Government funding for Cricket - what a joke! They are all loaded! Let them pay for their own game!
You are displaying your ignorance in spades. Cricket in north Dublin is about as upper class as rugby in Limerick.

statsman

You are displaying your ignorance in spades. Cricket in north Dublin is about as upper class as rugby in Limerick.