Criminal gang to appeal sentences...our courts really need to get tougher

Reasunach

Do we need to take a leaf from Egypts book in how they deal with criminals? I can't believe how lenient our courts are . These guys had over 300 previous convictions between them before they carried out this terrifying raid on an innocent family. What's more, they had free legal aid.

Criminal gang who left young family terrified during home invasion set to appeal sentences - Independent.ie

I despair when I see these articles. No wonder our Gardai are demoralised. What's the point in catching these scumbags if the judges go so lightly on them it's almost seen as a joke? And I'm sure they were only too delighted to provide inspiration to Stuart Carolan. http://www.independent.ie/irish-news/courts/dublin-criminal-gang-were-so-dangerous-they-inspired-lovehate-pipebomb-storyline-31580257.html

Clanrickard

Do we need to take a leaf from Egypts book in how they deal with criminals? I can't believe how lenient our courts are . These guys had over 300 previous convictions between them before they carried out this terrifying raid on an innocent family. What's more, they had free legal aid.

Criminal gang who left young family terrified during home invasion set to appeal sentences - Independent.ie

I despair when I see these articles. No wonder our Gardai are demoralised. What's the point in catching these scumbags if the judges go so lightly on them it's almost seen as a joke?
They are entitled to appeal. It is up to the Court to see if their appeal has merit.

statsman

I despair when I see these articles. No wonder our Gardai are demoralised. What's the point in catching these scumbags if the judges go so lightly on them it's almost seen as a joke? And I'm sure they were only too delighted to provide inspiration to Stuart Carolan. Dublin criminal gang were 'so dangerous' they inspired Love/Hate pipebomb storyline - Independent.ie
What should we do, remove the right to appeal? Limit that right to people we approve of only?

The_SR

You have taken a large leap. The courts haven't done a thing yet.

im axeled

seeing as the dpp has started to appeal light sentencing we may soon start to see tougher sentencing, what really needs to be stopped is this ajourning of cases for ever in some cases

Reasunach

What should we do, remove the right to appeal? Limit that right to people we approve of only?
I'm not denying their right to appeal, but I do wonder at the wisdom of allowing people with so many previous convictions out on bail. These guys are laughing at the courts.

Reasunach

seeing as the dpp has started to appeal light sentencing we may soon start to see tougher sentencing, what really needs to be stopped is this ajourning of cases for ever in some cases
Absolutely agree. Let's hope the DPP steps up to the plate.

Clanrickard

I'm not denying their right to appeal, but I do wonder at the wisdom of allowing people with so many previous convictions out on bail. These guys are laughing at the courts.
They are not out on bail.

sic transit

John Gilligan tried to laugh lots of times and the courts laughed back!

Reasunach

They are not out on bail.
Some of them were allegedly, when this raid took place. Quote from the article: "The case highlighted what gardai have been saying for years regarding the absence of an adequate criminal justice system to imprison multiple offenders, rather than repeatedly release them on bail."

and

"Two weeks before he participated in the terrifying raid on Mark and Emma Corcoran's home, Flynn was released on bail in connection to possession of a firearm and ammunition."

Old Mr Grouser

seeing as the DPP has started to appeal light sentencing we may soon start to see tougher sentencing, what really needs to be stopped is this adjourning of cases for ever in some cases
A whole numger of things need to be done.

Garda sources said there was "no reason" other than the State's inadequate bail and probation procedures why the gang remained at large and free to terrorise families like the Corcorans.

Dublin criminal gang were 'so dangerous' they inspired Love/Hate pipebomb storyline - Independent.ie
Underlying it all a substantial amount of effort and money must be put into the prison system. A lot of things need to be done there, including the provision of some cheap-and-cheerful facility for warehousing serious sociopaths for the remainder of their lives.

Therightroad

This gang are only one of dozens of traveller gangs robbing Rural Ireland blind, Operation thor has helped curtail some of the gangs but there isn't any guards in many parts of Rural Ireland which sees these traveller gangs do as they please.....Rural Ireland is breaking down as people are so in fear people have their houses like fort knox and people are stopping visiting each other as people are afraid to open the doors....what travellers have done to rural Ireland is a disgrace...

eoghanacht

You can kill an intruder, IF you deem them to be a threat to your self or your family.

Thanks to Mick McDowell

Gin Soaked

Bail for serious recidivst scumbags needs to stop.

We need a holding pen for vermin like these.

Once you are a convicted violent recidivst , bail should not be offered.

Watcher2

You can kill an intruder, IF you deem them to be a threat to your self or your family.

Thanks to Mick McDowell
Yes, lets arm everyone. What could possibly go wrong. I'm not saying people should not be entitled to defend themselves but the shotgun remedy is a folly as a widespread mechanism to try to minimize the incidence of burglary. It would be the innocent that would come off the worse in many cases. Proper policing, court procedures and proper prison services is what is needed. Too many scumbags know they can get away with this sh1t now.

Hunter-Gatherer

the irish justice system has been a joke for as long as i care to remember.

New Threads

Popular Threads

Most Replies