Croagh Patrick endangers lives

Tomas Mor

What are we to make of all the people endangering themselves by climbing Croagh Patrick in bad weather. This year it was shrouded in mist,several people fell and got injured, a rescue helicopter was on hand but could not navigate due to weather. Last year it was as bad, some young people got hypothermia. Foolish people go up without proper footwear or clothes, and put rescue teams to enormous trouble.A lot especially young folk think its a day out and go for the craic. Surely the state should step in as civil power, and only allow those properly attired make the climb,and endangering lives. Not to mention the cost of rescue etc.

johnfás

Should they stop running the bull in Pamplona?

The climb appears to be a tradition for a great many people. It is one which I have no interest in but I'm sure the local economy is glad of all the visitors who descend on the locality.

idle tim

Nearly done for me a few years back,managed to make it to the top and the view over Clew Bay was worth the effort,recommend it to anyone who hasnt tried,photos dont do it justice.

Sync

It's not actually the mountain that's endangering people, it's the people endangering themselves.

idle tim

What are we to make of all the people endangering themselves by climbing Croagh Patrick in bad weather. This year it was shrouded in mist,several people fell and got injured, a rescue helicopter was on hand but could not navigate due to weather. Last year it was as bad, some young people got hypothermia. Foolish people go up without proper footwear or clothes, and put rescue teams to enormous trouble.A lot especially young folk think its a day out and go for the craic. Surely the state should step in as civil power, and only allow those properly attired make the climb,and endangering lives. Not to mention the cost of rescue etc.
Joe Duffy might take up the cause for you.FFS.

owedtojoy

What are the health and safety regs in regard to Croagh Patrick? If it was a secular site, it would be concreted top to bottom with handrails.

People have died there, not on the regular pilgrimage. About fifteen years ago, a woman went over beyond the top to where there is an old oratory, fell and was killed (not on the Reek Sunday).

Compare it to the fuss over Sceilg Michel... the deaths there were high profile, it will take a few more deaths or serious injuries on the Reek for people to wake up.

Telemachus

Website
en.wikipedia.org
Surely the state should step in as civil power.
Nein!, if people want to act stupid and not come properly equipped, let them, it will be a learning experience. If there is a serious problem with costs related to rescuing people, we can charge those people for the costs.

Its best to go up the previous day anyway or the week before and avoid the crowds IMO.

Joe Duffy might take up the cause for you.FFS.
+1

owedtojoy

BTW, when I was a younker, people began the pilgrimage IN THE DARK ie. at midnight.

At least I think that madness has ended. And do not underestimate the numbers who pour into Westport for "craic" before and after. "The Reek" may be religious but it also has a big aura of Puck Fair and the pagan harvest festivals about it. It gives a serious lift to the local economy.

An Gilladaker

What are the health and safety regs in regard to Croagh Patrick? If it was a secular site, it would be concreted top to bottom with handrails.

People have died there, not on the regular pilgrimage. About fifteen years ago, a woman went over beyond the top to where there is an old oratory, fell and was killed (not on the Reek Sunday).

Compare it to the fuss over Sceilg Michel... the deaths there were high profile, it will take a few more deaths or serious injuries on the Reek for people to wake up.
A delegation of ministers need to climb it and draw up a green paper the minster of health is best placed to lead the ministers to the summit ;)

roc_

Riadach

Feck it, let's just mine it for gold and be done with it.

CookieMonster

lets never go outside again!

cHeal

I climbed it before in the wee hours after a few jars. One of our party didn't even make it to the mountain before falling into a ditch :)

Was plenty sober by the time I got half way and by the time I reached the top I just wanted to go to bed. In reality the real danger is on the way down, it's so steep and rocky for the top 200 odd metres that you really have to take care.

Even though I climbed it at night, there was a fair amount of light provided by the moon and we had walking sticks, and we were pretty cautious (it took me about 4 hours all told), mostly I just felt that I should probably climb it at some point and was unlikely to feel so inclined again. I got the t-shirt.

Couldn't walk the next day though :p great craic.

The Underdog

Disgusting Catholics again.:rolleyes:

pujols

If people in Ireland want to climb a mountain, let them.

If they need assistance, getting down, charge them for it.

It should be the same for all mountains. Religion shouldn't come into it.

I know of plenty of morons getting stuck in Carrantoohill but there is no hoopla about that.

New Threads

Popular Threads

Most Replies