Croagh Patrick endangers lives

Tomas Mor

It's not actually the mountain that's endangering people, it's the people endangering themselves.

I remember the time as a gasúr when anyone could go to Croke Park and squeeze in, there were over 90,000 there at 1961 final. Some people do not realise the ardous climb it is, esp. the last bit, and come ill prepared. What if the rescue helicopter crashed in mist yesterday, would people be so dismissive. Rescue workers spent a few hours carrying an injured woman from the summit all the way down.

Toland

Website
www.aggressive-secularist.com
Hell of a lot safer than pop concerts in Germany.
This has to be the irrational piece of waddaboutery of the week.

Being a soldier in the Irish Civil War was less likely to lead to death than being a soldier in Flanders in WWI.

Does that mean it was entirely safe to be in the Free State Army or the IRA at the relevant time?

The Underdog

Being a soldier in the Irish Civil War was less likely to lead to death than being a soldier in Flanders in WWI.

Does that mean it was entirely safe to be in the Free State Army or the IRA at the relevant time?
What exactly has that to do with public safety at outdoor events ?

Last edited:

Toland

Website
If I ever see you make legitimate point worthy of a rational argument I'll let you know.
I wasn't talking about any point I made. I was talking about the OP you were hysterically responding to.

Your ability to read seems to wax and wane according to the head of steam you have got up.

Puzzling.

The Underdog

I wasn't talking about any point I made. I was talking about the OP you were hysterically responding to.

Your ability to read seems to wax and wane according to the head of steam you have got up.

Puzzling.
:lol:

:lol:

Tomas Mor

Each year I say to myself I'm going to do it but have yet make the attempt...

Next year in Jerusalem as they say....:)

Bring good footwear unless you are a masochist and want to go barefoot, and good clothers. And keep ladies with high heels away.

liamfoley

What are we to make of all the people endangering themselves by climbing Croagh Patrick in bad weather. This year it was shrouded in mist,several people fell and got injured, a rescue helicopter was on hand but could not navigate due to weather. Last year it was as bad, some young people got hypothermia. Foolish people go up without proper footwear or clothes, and put rescue teams to enormous trouble.A lot especially young folk think its a day out and go for the craic. Surely the state should step in as civil power, and only allow those properly attired make the climb,and endangering lives. Not to mention the cost of rescue etc.
Are you a member of the Green Party? The only people who would have the balls to start passing laws on who is and who is not let climb a mountain. There should be no law to regulate people climbing this or any mountain.

LeDroit

I think it's a wonderful example of natural selection. Croagh Patrick should be proposed for the Darwin Award! ;)

Red_93

I think it's a wonderful example of natural selection. Croagh Patrick should be proposed for the Darwin Award! ;)
While I find that comment very distasteful, I am inclined to agree. :lol:

Toland

Website
Are you a member of the Green Party? The only people who would have the balls to start passing laws on who is and who is not let climb a mountain. There should be no law to regulate people climbing this or any mountain.
... but there should be a little more pressure brought to bear on the organisers of this event (and you know who I'm talking about are the organisers, despite occasional convenient denials) to organise it more responsibly.

liamfoley

... but there should be a little more pressure brought to bear on the organisers of this event (and you know who I'm talking about are the organisers, despite occasional convenient denials) to organise it more responsibly.
Aaaa, the real issue. Well thanks at least for coming clear.

Riadach

Lads, I'm telling ye, gold, 700,000 tonnes of ore. If i'm climbing that hill, I'm bringing a pick axe.

Tomas Mor

Anybody can climb whaever they like any day of the year. But when an organised event every July takes place, do you not think the organiserrs have a duty of care,and if they dont, surely the civic authorites must step in and see basic standards are applied. Civil defence, mountain rescue and helicopter pilots put themselves at great risk saving those people. And no, I have no axe to grind, and am not pointing finger at church.

New Threads

Popular Threads

Most Replies