Croagh Patrick endangers lives

Toland

Website
www.aggressive-secularist.com
Anybody can climb whaever they like any day of the year. But when an organised event every July takes place, do you not think the organiserrs have a duty of care,and if they dont, surely the civic authorites must step in and see basic standards are applied. Civil defence, mountain rescue and helicopter pilots put themselves at great risk saving those people. And no, I have no axe to grind, and am not pointing finger at church.
And even if I am, I'll thank posters to address my arguments in preference to second-guessing my satanistic motivations.

Riadach

Lads, come on, gold, in that there mountain.

BlowIn

Croagh Patrick does not endanger lives, Idiots climbing mountain ill prepared or half cut or half mad or unfit endanger their own lives.

Or maybe the spirit of the mountain is getting sick of a bunch of hipocrites racing up and down its spine once a year?

A really bad year might just be what it takes to cull the herd and they might not come back.

Riadach

Sure if we mine it, for the gold, it will help to pay for all those accidents.

Didimus

Sure if we mine it, for the gold, it will help to pay for all those accidents.
Here's the real story.
The increase in numbers, the use of high heels etc has been encouraged by the church in order to gradually abrade the mountain surface.
Those who walk barefoot do so in order to obtain soil samples.
When they come off the mountain their feet are washed and the detritus is analysed.
As soon as the gold starts appearing in these samples the church will step in and ban the pilgrimage on h&s grounds, leaving the way open for friars miner to step in.

BlowIn

Here's the real story.
The increase in numbers, the use of high heels etc has been encouraged by the church in order to gradually abrade the mountain surface.
When they come off the mountain their feet are washed and the detritus is analysed.
As soon as the gold starts appearing in these samples the church will step in and ban the pilgrimage on h&s grounds, leaving the way open for friars miner to step in.
Now that is how to do a conspiracy theory, how the hell are you keeping it quiet on here Dan Brown. + 1

Riadach

Here's the real story.
My favourite bit was the friars miner :)

blinding

Better to die on the croagh than to let fianna fail sufocate you in your bed !

breakingnews

I don't know what to make of this climb, some of them climbed it barefoot. I just find the whole thing bizarre and very Father Ted like. Do the participants not get embarrassed.

Riadach

I don't know what to make of this climb, some of them climbed it barefoot. I just find the whole thing bizarre and very Father Ted like. Do the participants not get embarrassed.
My mother did it and her toenails fell out. That was quite embarrassing.

ergo2

Look, it is a mountain. Anybody who knows mountains knows you have got to be careful, have proper gear, food and drink etc.

It is an old established pillgrimage, going back to pagan times. I don't know what powers the staet or any other authority would have to police it by e.g. preventing badly prepared people from climbing it.

Most Mayo people, especially in the country side have the old fashioned idea that you are responsible for your own actions.

CorkHurler

Well I did hear someone at the summit yesterday complaining about the 10.00 mass being "very quick". A great day all round and plenty of Mayo hospitality on show. When they have a Taoiseach in Castlebar and a Minister in Westport they'll lose the run of themselves altogether.

idle tim

I remember the time as a gasúr when anyone could go to Croke Park and squeeze in, there were over 90,000 there at 1961 final. Some people do not realise the ardous climb it is, esp. the last bit, and come ill prepared. What if the rescue helicopter crashed in mist yesterday, would people be so dismissive. Rescue workers spent a few hours carrying an injured woman from the summit all the way down.
ITs what the rescue services train for,they love its all part of the buzz for them,most are adrenalin junkies themselves FFS,have you ever sat for an hour with one of those good samaritan types of volunteers who cover every major event in the country they love it when an emergency kicks in its like manna from heaven to them most of the time there duties are mundane and boring but every now and again they get to show their true worth,,,,but to add a bit of balance just quote Roy the Rebel "Fail to Prepare Prepare to Fail".

ergo2

Idle Tim

Your remarks are unfair to many volunteers in organisations such as Mountain Rescue, Knights of Malta, Life boats etc.

LongShanks

If people want to climb a mountain let them, it's hardly a mountain in any event. We've enough nanny statism as it is without clambouring for more.

jpc

What are we to make of all the people endangering themselves by climbing Croagh Patrick in bad weather. This year it was shrouded in mist,several people fell and got injured, a rescue helicopter was on hand but could not navigate due to weather. Last year it was as bad, some young people got hypothermia. Foolish people go up without proper footwear or clothes, and put rescue teams to enormous trouble.A lot especially young folk think its a day out and go for the craic. Surely the state should step in as civil power, and only allow those properly attired make the climb,and endangering lives. Not to mention the cost of rescue etc.
That sounds very like H&S nannyism TM.
It's a free choice thing.
They know the score.

idle tim

Idle Tim

Your remarks are unfair to many volunteers in organisations such as Mountain Rescue, Knights of Malta, Life boats etc.
Ime a volunteer myself ergo,not in a rescue sense though i have done occupational first aid and CPR training,ime involved with a sports club and injurys occur on a regular basis it goes with the territory,i am simply saying its what people do what they train for i have the height of respect that they give of their time for no reward except a job well done.

New Threads

Most Replies