• Due to a glitch in the old vBulletin software, some users were "banned" when they tried to change their passwords at the end of February. This does not apply after the site was converted to Xenforo. If you were affected by this, please us viua the Contact us link in the footer.

Croke Park 2: a done deal

Do you think the Croke Park Two deal will be accepted by the union membership?

• Yes

Votes: 74 43.8%
  • No

Votes: 80 47.3%
  • Undecided

Votes: 15 8.9%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

statsman

The deal is done, if Ingrid Miley is to be believed:

Ingrid Miley ‏@ingridmileyRTE

#crokepark deal done - pay cuts for high paid range from 5.5 pc above 65k to 10 pc above 185k. Sunday prem te And 3/4 - twilight abolished
It looks like the pain is targeted at the top earners, at least to some degree. Can this deal be made stick. I'm hoping it can, but I'm not too optimistic. Will union members back the leadership on this one?

[Edit]

More info here:

http://www.rte.ie/news/2013/0225/369441-croke-park/

Deal to run from 2013-2016, if agreed.

Clanrickard

The Unions have no choice. Either they agree or the government does it anyway. This should have been done 3 years ago.

statsman

The Unions have no choice. Either they agree or the government does it anyway. This should have been done 3 years ago.
I agree that there is no realistic choice, but will there have to be some kind of token backlash before we move on?

EUrJokingMeRight

10% above 185K??

Laughable. It should be 50% imho.

The state is bankrupt remember?

wombat

I agree that there is no realistic choice, but will there have to be some kind of token backlash before we move on?
It will be interesting to see if the membership are as badly off as they claim - can't afford cuts to OT rates but no problem going on strike for a month?

statsman

It will be interesting to see if the membership are as badly off as they claim - can't afford cuts to OT rates but no problem going on strike for a month?
People go on strike knowing they will be worse off for a period in the hope for better things if they win. That's really not the issue. The issue is that they can't win in this instance.

Ulster-Lad

Crazy horse 6

Token cuts all around as expected. The protected remain untouched by the reality of the situation we are in. Let the spin begin.

curiousorange

The unions are going to have a hard time attacking a deal where the headline is that those on 65k are taking the big hit.
No way they will go on a real strike. They know they are getting an amazing deal from Labour.

But yes, there'll be some kind of token backlash. They'll have to hide their smiles somehow.

statsman

The unions are going to have a hard time attacking a deal where the headline is that those on 65k are taking the big hit.
No way they will go on a real strike. They know they are getting an amazing deal from Labour.

But yes, there'll be some kind of token backlash. They'll have to hide their smiles somehow.
Someone's been watching the polls.

ShoutingIsLeadership

Statsman, given that CP1 was to run from 2010-2014, can those who oppose this deal take action against the government for breaching the original deal (as this deal appears to commence before the current one ends)?

ShoutingIsLeadership

This is good news.

10% for people above 185 K seems a modest enough reduction, though.
If I was being paid 190k yesterday, and today I found out that was dropping to 171k, I wouldn't think it a modest drop.

sic transit

This is good news.

10% for people above 185 K seems a modest enough reduction, though.
Going for what is achievable? The long term new T&C will drop it even further. If it hits the target set out then Howlin will finally have done something right.

b.a. baracus

Anyone hear anything about flexi-time changes in the Civil Service?? No mention in that RTE report.

New Threads

Popular Threads

Most Replies