Cross City LUAS: PERMANENT and FATAL damage to traffic flow in Dublin City?

Golden Phoenix

Since the cross city LUAS commenced there has been torturous traffic delays in the city. The LUAS crossing over O'Connell Bridge impedes East/West & West/East traffic flows. Bus times on the quays have greatly increased. EVERYONE in every part of the city has been affected.

Did planners not foresee this snarl up? Is anyone accountable, responsible?

Or do we simply have to put up with the LUAS as it currently operates for all time?

Thoughts/comments?

firefly123

I'd say about 10 years to get everyone involved safely elsewhere and then it will be put undergroundlike it always should have been and shoulders will be shrugged as the tracks are dug up

Spanner Island

Since the cross city LUAS commenced there has been torturous traffic delays in the city. The LUAS crossing over O'Connell Bridge impedes East/West & West/East traffic flows. Bus times on the quays have greatly increased. EVERYONE in every part of the city has been affected.

Or do we simply have to put up with the LUAS as it currently operates for all time?

Thoughts/comments?
Dublin City Council led by the seemingly untouchable Owen Keegan along with a few others have been waging a war on cars for what seems like decades at this stage.

They've been indulged throughout and to such an extent that they now seem to operate with impunity and have f***ed up and continue to f*** up the city.

The eFFing traitors have helped of course... by refusing to put the LUAS underground in the city centre... a decision that was made when the brilliant eFFing urban city planner Mary O'Rourke was in situ and not long after she oversaw the disastrous privatisation of Eircom...

The LUAS should have been underground north south from Stephen's Green (which has been ruined by the LUAS) to Parnell Square at the very least, and east west from Capel Street or thereabouts down to the IFSC or east of Connolly Station somewhere.

But nah... instead it was decided to shoehorn a tram system into a congested city onto congested streets in a bid to force cars out... and the subsequent f*** up evolved...

Anyone could have foreseen what has happened who has a clue.

I'm in no way surprised by this at all.

Volatire

Too many idiots want to drive their cars through the centre of the city.

When they become stuck, they blame others for their own stupidty.

D

Deleted member 48908

Once EitealÁthaCliath takes off and fully gets off the ground, all will be well.

Analyzer

No need to worry.

The mayor is focussed on the issue, to the exclusion of all other concerns, correct ?

Oh....he is busy virtue signalling....trying so hard, he is making an ass of himself.

Well, thankfully somebody is calling him to account.

Last edited:

Fr Peter McWhinger

The Luas should have been put underground and a congestion charge of €5 should have been applied for driving in the central zone.

A Voice

Too many idiots want to drive their cars through the centre of the city.

When they become stuck, they blame others for their own stupidty.
If you want to bring a sick child to Temple Street from Ashbourne what do you do? Get a taxi? And back?

If you want to buy a tricycle in Smyths do you bring a box the size of yourself on a bus back to Harold's Cross?

Analyzer

DCC = Dublin's Clown Circus.

Last edited:

Analyzer

If you want to bring a sick child to Temple Street from Ashbourne what do you do? Get a taxi? And back?

If you want to buy a tricycle in Smyths do you bring a box the size of yourself on a bus back to Harold's Cross?
Another reason why key national infrastructure should be on the M50 or in locations like Naas or Athlone.

silverharp

longer term get rid of car road tax and introduce a per km charge with congestion and time of day taken into account.

crossman

I'd say about 10 years to get everyone involved safely elsewhere and then it will be put undergroundlike it always should have been and shoulders will be shrugged as the tracks are dug up
I'm not aware of any city in the world that has an underground tram system. For years we had complaints that the luas lines were not connected. To do it means crossing the river with inevitable consequences.

The Nal

We'll be pissing into the wind forever until we have a city wide underground system.

Something like this.

firefly123

Would you not just cycle it home?

JCR

Thoughts/comments?
We should just spend more on much needed public transport infrastructure, I don't think people are going to learn that hundred's of thousands of people all cannot squeeze their cars into city centres.

"But what about my toy shopping? How will I do it?"

firefly123

We'll be pissing into the wind forever until we have a city wide underground system.

Something like this.

Oh wouldn't that be nice.

The mad thing is it would be in place for centuries and our ancestors would laugh at the relative cost over the long term.

Of course short termism is a symptom of our elected governments

JCR

I'm not aware of any city in the world that has an underground tram system. For years we had complaints that the luas lines were not connected. To do it means crossing the river with inevitable consequences.
As far as I can see most underground basic infrastructure in major cities was put down at times when car traffic was relatively light. Can you imagine a busy city now trying to build something like an underground from zero?

I don't think its practically doable unless its part of a twenty year plan, sector by sector. And at that it would probably still cause far more chaos than a Luas line running across O Connell Bridge.

New Threads

Popular Threads

Most Replies