• It has come to our attention that some users may have been "banned" when they tried to change their passwords after the site was hacked due to a glitch in the old vBulletin software. This would have occurred around the end of February and does not apply after the site was converted to Xenforo. If you believe you were affected by this, please contact a staff member or use the Contact us link at the bottom of any forum page.

Crucifying Tommy: British army punishment in the Great War

parentheses

Interesting article I came across about British army punishment in the first world war.

One of the main punishments was 'crucifixion' This was not literal crucifixion but the man would be tied to a gun wheel or crossed posts for one hour per day for three consecutive days out of four up to a maximum of 21 days. The punishment was extremely unpopular with the men naturally enough

I was handcuffed round two spokes on a cart wheel and my legs was tied about a yard apart when they came to move me my boots was frozen to the ground I was their [sic] about one and a half [hours] I have got witnesses to say so, they put me by the side of a fire.

Crucifying Tommy: Punishment in the First World War | History Today

The Owl

It's awful but better than being tortured, hooded, knee-capped and shot in the head.

Ulster-Lad

ruserious

Better than a pliers between the nose septum and pulled till the sun went down.

drummed

You just came across this article did you? What were you looking for?

Recipes? Gardening tips?

ruserious

You just came across this article did you? What were you looking for?

Recipes? Gardening tips?
Ideas for starting a new thread on wearing Poppies, but from a different angle.

Ulster-Lad

Sf/ira were/are the masters of the dark arts of the kneecapping
I am not aware of any kneecapping that took place around the time of WW1. Can you give some more detail on that by chance or are you just trolling??

drummed

Jaysus lads! Is there anyone in here more than 12yrs old? Anybody?

councilkid

One of the main punishments was 'crucifixion' This was not literal crucifixion but the man would be tied to a gun wheel or crossed posts for one hour per day for three consecutive days out of four up to a maximum of 21 days. The punishment was extremely unpopular with the men naturally enough
Personally, I think I'd prefer that to a firing squad, or climbing out of a trench and jogging into a barrage of machine gun fire.

Cassandra Syndrome

Jaysus, Tommy O' Brien's OPs can be long winded, but is this not a tad excessive?

councilkid

It was very recent that I read about live and let live in WW1. The Politicians do not talk too much about this aspect of the common soldier in WW1.
Anyone else heard of the live and let live policy of the two sides in the trenches. If not, you should read up, because it blows away the story of the common enemy.
Quite a few people died in that conflict, from what I've heard anyway. Probably not the best example of human altruism.