CSO Household Budget survey 2015-2016 .. Household expenditure

robut

Press Statement Household Budget Survey 2015-2016 - CSO - Central Statistics Office

Household Expenditure up 4.3%

- Average weekly household expenditure in 2015-2016 was €845.12, up 4.3% on 2009-2010
- Expenditure on Alcoholic drink and tobacco decreased by over 29% in past 5 years to €28.00
- Expenditure on Transport rose by nearly 7% to €124.39, mainly driven by increase in car purchases
- Proportion of expenditure on Food in steady decline over the past thirty five years from 27.7% to 14.6%
- Proportion of expenditure on Housing increased from 9.6% to 19.4% since 1999-2000
- Medical related expenditure accounted for nearly 6% of total expenditure in 2015-2016
https://www.irishtimes.com/business/economy/irish-households-spend-845-per-week-on-average-1.3127763

Irish households spent an average of €845.12 per week between February 2015 and February 2016, an increase of 4.3 per cent on the same period five years earlier.
OK. We sort of went off on this in another unrelated thread .. so thought it best to have this discussion in its own thread.

Of course this €845PW expenditure is the AVERAGE. Would MEDIAN be better and truer??

Because €845PW is AFTER tax. This adds to €43,940 Per Annum AFTER TAX. What Gross wage would this give you - €60k? What is the "average" industrial wage in this country?

Is this €845PW figure statistically skewed higher?

Last edited:

Watcher2

Press Statement Household Budget Survey 2015-2016 - CSO - Central Statistics Office

https://www.irishtimes.com/business/economy/irish-households-spend-845-per-week-on-average-1.3127763

OK. We sort of went off on this in another unrelated thread .. so thought it best to have this discussion in its own thread.

Of course this €845PW expenditure is the AVERAGE. Would MEDIAN be better and truer??
I suspect it should since average wages in this country don't deliver €43,946.24 after tax per annum. And that would leave no room for savings etc.

robut

I suspect it should since average wages in this country don't deliver €43,946.24 after tax per annum. And that would leave no room for savings etc.
Yip .. my point entirely.

This is €845PW PER HOUSEHOLD. So could it include coming from two wages coming into the house??

dizillusioned

So basically what the CSO are saying is that the average person is earning around 65K (single) and 55K (ish) for a family...

Interesting.

I have seen how the CSO work and to be honest, they don't give me much confidence in their ability to carry out accurate data research.

Watcher2

So basically what the CSO are saying is that the average person is earning around 65K (single) and 55K (ish) for a family...

Interesting.

I have seen how the CSO work and to be honest, they don't give me much confidence in their ability to carry out accurate data research.
I think its a blend of both. Presumably they take the amount of spend in the economy (strip out b2b) and divide by the number of households. Crude and very simple I suppose. Of course, that in itself can be the cause of a lot of misleading.

But 44K per HOUSEHOLD doesn't strike me as much off what you'd think when you take into account two salaries, wealthy Dublin (I chose Dublin only because of concentration) earners, plus, social welfare provision which I'd imagine are included like rent supplement etc.

SamsonS

......well as I was saying earlier........

I think table 2.2 is the best for comparing household income, as you get to look at the deciles.

Looking at that, wharit would appear that disposable income across the deciles in nominal terms

Lowest 10% up €20, next lowest up 19, 3rd up 21, 4th up 24 and 5th up 26

Of the richer, the 6th decile up 23, 7th up 20, 8th down .20 cent, 9th up €14, and the richest decile down -€31.

Now stats can be read in many ways, but this would indicate that nominal disposable income amount amongst the lowest deciles is increasing faster than for the higher deciles.

robut

Every week, the average Irish household spends €845. Here's where the money goes

THE CENTRAL STATISTICS Office (CSO) has published detailed results of its 2015-16 Household Budget Survey, showing how Irish households spend money on a week-to-week basis.

The headline figure is that Irish households spend more than they did when the last survey was undertaken in 2009-10, up 4.3% to €845.12 a week.

The average income for a household meanwhile, was up 6.8% to €1,097.04.
Note again - HOUSEHOLD income ( I assume journal meant average WEEKLY Household income is €1097.04 ).

Would be interesting to get a breakdown of how many houses where this is a single income vs income combined from two earners??

robut

So €65 A WEEK on a Mortgage .. Anybody else thing thats a bit small for an "Average" mortgage???

And €47 A WEEK on Rent!!!!!

Uganda

Yip .. my point entirely.

This is €845PW PER HOUSEHOLD. So could it include coming from two wages coming into the house??
Or if there were 4 single professionals sharing a house they earn €800 odd between them?

Uganda

So €65 A WEEK on a Mortgage .. Anybody else thing thats a bit small for an "Average" mortgage???

It just shows how neaningless averages are in this context.

and with 64,000 plus on rent supplements this probaly distorts the figures even more.

'orebel

Utterly meaningless. And pointless.

robut

And €37 a week PER HOUSEHOLD on a PENSION .. thats €1924 per annum on a pension.

Yip I can see that as the case BUT it shows that the average Irish citizen is going to end up with a very small private pension in retirement at that rate. I would say might get a pension of about €3000 per annum from that?

Watcher2

There could be a few things at play that distort it. This is after all, as far as I understand it, "SPEND" not what's owed. Therefore, how many households NOT paying their mortgage, and/or only paying part thereof. How many houses are paid off with no mortgage owed on them any more? The CSO is talking averages across the country.

New Threads

Popular Threads

Most Replies