CSO Marriage statistics 2016 - over 1,000 same couple married

USER1234

Last year there were 1,056 same-sex marriages in the Republic, 606 of these were male unions and were 450 female. There were more than 22,000 marriages and civil partnerships overall in 2016.

Last year is the first full year for which there are figures on same-sex marriages.

Same-sex marriage was legalised in November 2015, and that year there were 91 marriages. This rose to 1,056 in 2016.

In same sex marriages the average age of a man was 40.5 years, and female 41. The CSO says that over time it is expected these ages will fall.
Full story: Rte - Over 1,000 same-sex marriages in 2016

My Comments:

1) congrats to all the happy couples who got married in 2016, gay & straight

2) it's interesting to be able to read the statistics

Last edited:

Stentor

Sorry I accidentally posted the thread before I put it in, Iv corrected it now!
Didn't matter to me Bro. I approve of the 1000+ already. Excellent. Well done to "de geys"!

I wonder will it taper off going forward. Was there a bottle-neck to work through in 2016? So much to 'wait and see'.

Definitely far more people, men and women, walking about openly gay in Dublin. That's cute and nice to see.

I will say, and hope I may be understood in saying it, there's a few couples that make eye contact, males or females, that give off a f++k you vibe. I guess their foreigners or students or lesbians or feminists too. It's maybe like weed was decriminalized. You'd get lots of muppets walking about smoking ostentatiously. Look at me syndrome. Harmless and a little childish.

Last edited:

USER1234

Didn't matter to me Bro. I approve of the 1000+ already. Excellent. Well done to "de geys"!

I wonder will it taper off going forward. Was there a bottle-neck to work through in 2016? So much to 'wait and see'.
We will have to wait & see when this years CSO figures are released next year!

Cruimh

Definitely far more people, men and women, walking about openly gay in Dublin. That's cute and nice to see.

I will say, and hope I may be understood in saying it, there's a few couples that make eye contact, males or females, that give off a f++k you vibe. I guess their foreigners or students or lesbians or feminists too. It's maybe like weed was decriminalized. You'd get lots of muppets walking about smoking ostentatiously. Look at me syndrome. Harmless and a little childish.
We will have to wait & see when this years CSO figures are released next year!
Emulation put to the test?

Half Nelson

Full story: Rte - Over 1,000 same-sex marriages in 2016

My Comments:

1) congrats to all the happy couples who got married in 2016, gay & straight

2) it's interesting to be able to read the statistics
I thought there was just "marriage" and people who differentiate are to be ostracised/ burned at the stake.

Yet, such differentiation now appears to be official policy. There must be a box to tick when the CSO is able to keep track.

Image: Central Statistics Office

Catalpast

With less than 5% of these ceremonies being between SS couples

-and when there must have been a bottleneck over the last few years

-would suggest that the numbers engaging in SS unions will drop dramatically in the years to come...

20 years on the numbers will be in the low hundreds per annum

People may well ask how so few managed to convince the Political Establishment of the day to hold one to satisfy the peccadillos of such a tiny number of people

- and if they didn't all Hell would break loose...:evil:

storybud1

-would suggest that the numbers engaging in SS unions will drop dramatically in the years to come...

People may well ask how so few managed to convince the Political Establishment of the day to hold one to satisfy the peccadillos of such a tiny number of people

Not really, the media are utterly biased in all matters liberal and just like some bullsh1t editorial in the Indo about Le Pens vote collapsing but not mentioning she is leading the primaries would make anyone just laugh at the state of the Irish media.

Catalpast

Not really, the media are utterly biased in all matters liberal and just like some bullsh1t editorial in the Indo about Le Pens vote collapsing but not mentioning she is leading the primaries would make anyone just laugh at the state of the Irish media.
They are woeful lot it is true

Though I think the online rag Journal.ie would win any Award for sheer awfulness...

Roll_On

Poor dear, you must be still hurtin' bad. Of course it matters not a jot if there are only a few hundred, fairness and equality won the day.

D

Deleted member 45466

Poor dear, you must be still hurtin' bad. Of course it matters not a jot if there are only a few hundred, fairness and equality won the day.
Um no, polygamists are being discriminated against actually.

Roll_On

I thought there was just "marriage" and people who differentiate are to be ostracised/ burned at the stake.

Yet, such differentiation now appears to be official policy. There must be a box to tick when the CSO is able to keep track.

Image: Central Statistics Office
It's a fairly easy stat to collect. Members of the household fill in the same form and state their relationship to each other. It's VERY annoying that the CSO has decided to refer to those in a same sex marriage as either 'males' or 'females' instead of 'brides' or 'grooms'. But I suppose I'll just let it go, no point raising the blood pressure.

midlander12

Notice any other State following our example?
Other way around actually. Australia, Germany and Italy are now the only prominent 'Western' countries that don't have SSM, or you can add in NI if you want to be really pedantic. A few Latin American countries have since followed for what it's worth.

'Get over it' is the phrase that most comes to mind.

New Threads

Most Replies