CTA to be retained?

statsman

The Indo (yes, I know) are reporting that the CTA is to be retained as part of the initial agreement being hammerd out around Brexit.

Foreign Affairs Minister Simon Coveney indicated a deal on the CTA was now imminent and that it was "a big win" for Ireland in the EU and UK talks over Brexit.

"The first big win of the Brexit negotiations will be on what is called the common travel area (CTA)," he said.

"We are part of those (Brexit) negotiations. Ireland is essentially on the EU negotiating task force," Mr Coveney said.

"We speak with them every day and Michel Barnier leads that task force.

"I speak to him a lot - that is my job in Government.
https://www.independent.ie/business/brexit/first-big-win-of-brexit-as-common-travel-area-to-be-retained-coveney-36251191.html

Tribal

That would be news if the CTA was an actual legal agreement.

Nipper

So nothing agreed, just indo providing propaganda for FG ?

“We think we are going to get a deal on that and it will be protected even post-Brexit," he told RedFM Business.”

statsman

Before anyone says anything, I've reported the OP to get the title typo fixed.

Dame_Enda

That will make the CTA a backdoor to circumvent EU and UK import and immigration controls. Unless some sort of e-verify was set up (like they use in the UK for motor fines) to charge companies and individuals the import tariffs.

Tribal

between the bridges

Anywho re topic, Brexit may nat turn out to be a shining success but tis also unlikely to be a complete disaster. The UK wants deals and EU wants cash, so tis really question of how much cash is paid for which deals...simples...

hollandia

From your own link...

I really don't know we don't just join Schengen, it would make zero difference to the CTA.
Based on my link, it referes to various pieces of legislation. Not the bits you're cherry picking.

New Threads

Popular Threads

Most Replies