Cultural identity, nation states,communism and genetics

Cael

J

john moriarty

I've heard some of the Irish elite saying that the best thing about mass immigration into Ireland is that it weakens Gaelic culture and Irish Republicanism even further (I doubt if this is actually true, perhaps the sight of thousands of people speaking other languages has given us more courage to speak our own language - but the free state elite certainly hope its true.)

Whatever about that,
I'd certainly welcome
the dilution of our clearly
knackered gene-pool.

Cael

Whatever about that,
I'd certainly welcome
the dilution of our clearly
knackered gene-pool.
Yes, some cross breeding with the Icelanders might do us a lot of good. Seems they are mostly of Gaelic genes anyway. Perhaps we can regain the backbone gene from them.

Last edited:

Green eyed monster

I've heard some of the Irish elite saying that the best thing about mass immigration into Ireland is that it weakens Gaelic culture and Irish Republicanism even further (I doubt if this is actually true, perhaps the sight of thousands of people speaking other languages has given us more courage to speak our own language - but the free state elite certainly hope its true.)
I respect even paleoconservatism a lot more than new liberalism, at least paleoconservatism leaves something for the next generation and envisions continuity (consider our own situation as a counter example).

Warren Poynt

Cael,

Controlled and regulated immigration ought not weaken Gaelic culture and the widely-held belief that we are all republicans by choosing to live in a republic rather than a monarchy, empire or totalitarian state.

It is up to us Irish people of whatever political hue to foster our games, language, music, social past times, local, provincial and national identity as best we can. And I believe we do enjoy and take comfort from promoting our own cultural trditions. If others wish to join us in this, great. If not, I'm afraid we have a problem.

By all means immigrants should be allowed retain their music, national holidays, and languages but if they wish to fit in, adopt Ireland as their new choice of homeland and avail of our kindnesses to them, they ought to make every effort to integrate.......while at the same time not abandoning the cultures of their countries of origin.

P.S.: I do wish you would not use the old Unionist bigoted term of abuse of "the free state" to describe the Republic of Ireland/Eire. You are bigger than that.

True Republican

Ireand needs a Pinochet style leader who will be able to appoint free market economists to the cabinet.

Cael

They seem to have some sense
of accountability when it comes
to their PM anyway - as recent
legal events suggest.
And they didnt bend over and take a Nama up the ass...

Cael

Ireand needs a Pinochet style leader who will be able to appoint free market economists to the cabinet.
Oh yes, lets have some more "free market economists," we arent half bankrupt enough yet...

Cael

P.S.: I do wish you would not use the old Unionist bigoted term of abuse of "the free state" to describe the Republic of Ireland/Eire. You are bigger than that.

Irish Republicans do not refer to the 26 county lacky free state as anything but the "the free state." The Irish Republic has 32 counties.

True Republican

Oh yes, lets have some more "free market economists," we arent half bankrupt enough yet...
Well Ireland doesn't need your brand of Soviet style communism.

Cael

Cael

Well, if the capitalists have their way, it wont be other humans we will have to worry about getting on with, but genetically designed post-humans. Its big business already. Billions of US dollars are being pumped into Chinese labs and clinics to get around US legal prohibitions. The class struggle will take on a whole new intensity when its actually a species struggle.

Warren Poynt

Cael,

Beg to differ. Only bigoted NI Unionists refer to the Republic of Ireland/Eire as "the free state".

But according to you, these bigoted Unionists are apparently joined by our republican fellow citizens, when you claim:

"Irish Republicans do not refer to the 26 county lacky free state as anything but 'the free state'. "

Don't know where you live but most of my friends in the North never use the term 'lacky free state'. Perhaps they do not wish to be un-necessarily offensive. Instead, they use the 'Republic' or 'the Republic' or 'Republic of Ireland' which I find quite acceptable when used by a Unionist or Nationalist/Republican.

Petty, abusive name-calling is no substitute for constructive dialogue.

Cael

Cael,

Beg to differ. Only bigoted NI Unionists refer to the Republic of Ireland/Eire as "the free state".

But according to you, these bigoted Unionists are apparently joined by our republican fellow citizens, when you claim:

"Irish Republicans do not refer to the 26 county lacky free state as anything but 'the free state'. "

All my Republican friends in Dublin refer to the 26 counties as the free state. We would never in a million years refer to it as the Republic.

Warren Poynt

Cael,

You say: "All my Republican friends in Dublin refer to the 26 counties as the free state."

I'm afraid you're going to have to get out of the Pale a little bit more. And not pay too much attention to Dublin Castle slang.

Simply asserting 'your' Republican Dublin friends use this term neither makes it correct, or universal, or acceptable.

And when you claim:" Irish Republicans do not refer to the 26 county lacky state as anything but 'the free state' ", I'm afraid you are maligning all republicans, most of whom would not and do not engage in petty, name-calling or terms of abuse in their conversations with others.

They like to debate in logical and rational terms, and to their credit find no merit in cliched terms of abuse.

So get out. Travel a bit more. Touch real life and, if at all possible, try and engage in civilised constructive dialogue. A little, just a little, humility might also not go amiss.

Your personal Republican friends in Dublin may not, just may not, be the font of all wisdom and knowledge.

P.S. If the term 'Republic of Ireland' or 'Eire' in Irish is good enough for all the political parties in Leinster House including Sinn Fein, and if the same description is also good enough for the five main political parties in the North, also including Sinn Fein, then I suspect it is good enough for most people.

Try and get 'your' circle of Republican friends in Dublin to drop "the lacky free state" title of where they live.

Cael

Cael,

So get out. Travel a bit more. Touch real life and, if at all possible, try and engage in civilised constructive dialogue.
You see, you are only interested in "dialogue" if you have already set its parameters.

Cael

New Threads

Most Replies